X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns

Was at a local firearms/ sporting dealer yesterday to get a gift card for a buddy of mine for his 40th birthday. I always like to take a stroll through the firearm section to see what they have available, and I couldn't believe how mobbed the firearm counter was with people. There were easily just as many women there as men, and I'm talking all age groups!

So it got me thinking..."wtf is going on"?

So I found this online, and here 10,800,000 + Americans bought firearms in 2011 alone. We are easily the most heavily armed Nation in the world.

Free Americans Buy 10,800,000+ Guns in 2011 ~ Message Don't F-with USA

Re: Guns

Come out here to California and you will really get an Eye full. Gun shops that have little inventory because they can't keep it in the displays. Ammo, limited amount and in some cases your only allowed to buy a couple of boxes. Our local Walmart guys line up on the day the ammo shipment comes in just to get the limited allotment they sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
      Come out here to California and you will really get an Eye full. Gun shops that have little inventory because they can't keep it in the displays. Ammo, limited amount and in some cases your only allowed to buy a couple of boxes. Our local Walmart guys line up on the day the ammo shipment comes in just to get the limited allotment they sell.
      I thought you guys had major restrictions out there for guns? I know you have a magazine restriction, but I forget what it is. The one thing I love about Pennsylvania is..they follow the second amendment to the letter of the law. Open carry is absolutely legal here, and there are no outlandish restrictions here as well. They keep pushing now and then to get more restrictive on gun laws, but they quickly find their butts in the streets as we vote their butts out of office. To be honest...I think New Jersey is a head of California when you talk about gun restrictions. I really feel bad for those people over there. I know D.C. and Chicago are prohibitive.

But every time I got to a gun store or pass by one...it's jammed. If Obama tries an assault weapon ban again...look out..prices will sky rocket, and they will be flying off the shelves.

Comment

There is no prouder moment in time than when you buy your son his first rifle. I bought my son a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas this year. He had his eye on something less expensive but I remember buying my 10/22 and how much fun that gun is to shoot. So a week after he gets it, he takes the rest of his Christmas money and makes me drive him to Cabella's so he can buy the Arc Angle stock and ghost sight for it. Oh and two 25 round banana clips too. I prefer the original wood stock but I have to admit that all kitted out that 10/22 is a good looking gun and a blast to shoot. I managed to keep all 25 rounds in a 3 inch circle shooting rapid fire, off hand. Amazing fun.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          There is no prouder moment in time than when you buy your son his first rifle. I bought my son a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas this year. He had his eye on something less expensive but I remember buying my 10/22 and how much fun that gun is to shoot. So a week after he gets it, he takes the rest of his Christmas money and makes me drive him to Cabella's so he can buy the Arc Angle stock and ghost sight for it. Oh and two 25 round banana clips too. I prefer the original wood stock but I have to admit that all kitted out that 10/22 is a good looking gun and a blast to shoot. I managed to keep all 25 rounds in a 3 inch circle shooting rapid fire, off hand. Amazing fun.
          I remember when my father bought my first gun at 13 (10/22), and it was surreal moment for me at that age. I think my 12 gauge came right after that, but I was still heavily into trapping more back then, cause I wasn't allowed to take the .22 without pops, so trapping was much more fun. I like the re-setting targets they have now for plinking.

Comment

When my son was about 8 y/o we went to a show and tell at a local gun range. All the big names were there, and for a buck a round you could shoot any thing they made in the larger calibers. 22's were 10 for $1.

Well he bee lined to the S&W booth where a salesman proudly displayed his wares. A salesman began his spiel with a .22 revolver, emphasizing gun safety over everything else. When he concluded, he asked my little guy what he wanted to shoot. Reaching in his pocket he pulled out 6 wrinkled dollar bills and said the Model 29. Somewhat surprised, the salesman looked to me wanting to know if it was ok. To which I agreed. My little guy, was a lot bigger than most kids his age, and I figured he could handle the weight and recoil, if only for 1 shot.

So they head to the firing line which had a row of ceramic plates, at 25' and tea cups at 35'. There he was shown how to B R A S S. After a couple of dry fires, the instructor loaded him up. Told him to shoot for the plates. 5/6 on his first time ever with a hand gun. Impressed, the salesman reloaded and the kid hit 6/6 of the tea cups.
            The trip ended after my son had fired every weapon S&W had at the show. I thought I'd go broke paying for all his ammo, but the S&W Regional Sales Manager returned his money and said it was "on them".

After we returned home, the kid poured over all the literature S&W had provided. Then without any coaching from us wrote a letter of thanks to the President of S&W, mentioning the names of the two reps at the show. Two weeks later, he gets a package from the President loaded with S&W logo-ed apparel. Caps, jackets, decals, pens, etc., plus a S&W handcuff tie tack.

Long story short, his first hand gun when he turned 18 was a S&W .44cal Dirty Harry Model 29.
            Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 01-09-2012, 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

My first handgun I bought HAD to be a S&W 357 revolver, as I was enamored with them for a long time. Nice story Arizona.

Comment

If I remember that far back, my first pistol was a Colt Woodsman. Wish I still had it today.
                sigpic

Comment

need to start your kids early, that way they dont grow up fearing guns.Click image for larger version

Name:	66d53bbdc482363b648d620be89cc752.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	15909Click image for larger version

Name:	8a5a57494bdd9fbd6009d00546d74b3f.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	15910Click image for larger version

Name:	383262486fceaced0069030fc238341d.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	15911here are my grand kids, Bri w/ her dad shooting her 22 and Tony watching them. also bri on her horse bubba.......

Comment

Flux, did you attend the show in Pittsbugh last April?
                    26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
                      Flux, did you attend the show in Pittsbugh last April?
                      Are you talking about the NRA expo in Pittsburgh? No I didn't go, however I always wanted to attend an NRA event since I'm almost a life member.

There is just so many gun shows in the area alone during the year in our area, for me to actually get a chance to go around the state and see others.

Not sure which state would be considered to have the most hunters / most popular hunting state, but Pennsylvania has to be in the top 5.

Hunting is HUGE here in Pennsylvania...but I'm not big on hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by SEWERRAT66 View Post
                        need to start your kids early, that way they dont grow up fearing guns.Click image for larger version

Name:	66d53bbdc482363b648d620be89cc752.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	15909Click image for larger version

Name:	8a5a57494bdd9fbd6009d00546d74b3f.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	15910Click image for larger version

Name:	383262486fceaced0069030fc238341d.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	15911here are my grand kids, Bri w/ her dad shooting her 22 and Tony watching them. also bri on her horse bubba.......
                        Absolutely agree! Tired of seeing society trying to make kids afraid of guns, when instead we should be teaching them to respect firearms and the responsibility that comes along with owning one.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          Are you talking about the NRA expo in Pittsburgh? No I didn't go, however I always wanted to attend an NRA event since I'm almost a life member.

There is just so many gun shows in the area alone during the year in our area, for me to actually get a chance to go around the state and see others.

Not sure which state would be considered to have the most hunters / most popular hunting state, but Pennsylvania has to be in the top 5.

Hunting is HUGE here in Pennsylvania...but I'm not big on hunting.
                          Yes the NRA show. Should have been more clear. We drove 12 hrs from here in NH. What a beautiful state you live in. Want to visit again soon. Im not much into flying so I dont think Ill make the show this year in St. Louis. Next year is Houston.
                          26+6=1

Comment

Gun show at the Raddison in Manchester this weekend
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
                              Yes the NRA show. Should have been more clear. We drove 12 hrs from here in NH. What a beautiful state you live in. Want to visit again soon. Im not much into flying so I dont think Ill make the show this year in St. Louis. Next year is Houston.
                              Not sure which way you came down, but if you went through the Pocono's/mountain area of Pennsylvania, it's extremely beautiful and peaceful.

Comment

Working...
                              X