Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. has HIGHEST Corporate Taxes in World?

Not too very long ago there was some discussion about the burdens to us all and a couple of the forum members cited the subject problem. We are presently in the process of hearing an awful lot of rhetoric regarding "corporporate friendly" politics and how and why all of our jobs are being sent abroad. We constantly are being bombarded with the so-called facts that we need to cut taxes on corporations, remove legislation that blocks their encentives and prevents them from investing here in the U.S.

Well, here's and interesting story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D126348

This may well be an over-simplification, but I don't really think so. Just from my own experience, I've seen the tax advantages of being "Corporate" and I know from my participation in a multi-Billion $ corporation, that most of the restrictions that are talked about are self-inflicted for appearances and to make political and thus financial gain.

So, with the fact that two-thirds of American business NOT paying taxes, and our politician's campaigning on the alleged, "Higher Taxes will cost the American People more jobs".... who's kidding who?

It would seem only logical, that with the majority of Corporations NOT paying taxes, that we should be awash in jobs, with absolutely NO unemployment and a critical need to bring in all the immigrants (illegal and otherwise) that we can find to take care of the surplus of jobs that we can't fill.

Instead, it seems that this lack of taxes is what is fueling the hole that we have found our economy in. Corporations are showing record profits and those profits seem to find a place in only the pockets of the top executives. WE THE PEOPLE are having to pick up the tax losses to our nation, are taking it in the pocketbook on our retirement savings, have been shafted in our 401K's, and have had our pensions robbed.... while the whole infrastructure of our country declines.

The other night I hear most of these "caucus" hopefuls banter amongst themselves and posture in their accusations that the current administration is NOW sacrificing the "military" through budget cuts. Was it not just a few months ago, that the Republican led "House" couldn't come to agreement and had to push everything off to the "Super Committee", which also couldn't find a "compromise"... which then automatically pushed in these cuts to our budget, which the biggest part of, impacted on the Pentagon! And, wasn't it the Republican party who wouldn't budge because it wouldn't raise taxes on the rich or Corporations?

So the non-compromising, do-nothings who put us into this crisis... are now blaming the opposition party President and they expect us to believe them. Are we just incredibly naive or what? I guess the "What?" is that we are so stuck on our "politcal party" idealologies that we don't give enough about our country to see what is really going on.

CWS

Re: U.S. has HIGHEST Corporate Taxes in World?

CWS, you said a mouthful and as usual very well. I blame both parties equally but all I have to offer is the broken promises to "go over the budget with a scalpel", "a break from the same old Washington politics", "transparency"., "green jobs". Stirring talking points delivered by a very capable orator, but here we are, trillions in debt, same old dirty politics to pass legislation, tax money invested, lost and not accounted for and No jobs!. Yes, for the most part we are naive, gullible, easily distracted by the party balloons. How much longer can our economy survive? We have folks here who are retired, some small business owners, some working for others and like the rest of the country if they have not lost a job or face losing their home, they assume everything is not too bad. I think it is. We can't expect a new adminsitration to make the drastic spending cuts necessary to reduce the budget. Legislators don't know how to create jobs, they simply stood by for forty or so years and watched them leave! I just keep wondering about the timeline, how long does it take for America to fail at this rate? Do you seriously think our legislators are capable of turning this economy around? Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      I blame both parties equally but all I have to offer is the broken promises to "go over the budget with a scalpel", "a break from the same old Washington politics", "transparency"., "green jobs". Stirring talking points delivered by a very capable orator, but here we are, trillions in debt, same old dirty politics to pass legislation, tax money invested, lost and not accounted for and No jobs!.
      And there in lays much of the problem... Both parties (but that's historically not true) may be to blame, but ALL most everybody see's is that the current President hasn't (actually, that's not true either... as he mostly "can't") made good on his promises.

The typical "citizen" looks at the President as if he were a "King"... he's NOT. He's the appointed "leader" of our country and it was the majority of the country that appointed him by thier votes. But, he had a major challenge in that the conditions left to him were tremendously BAD... and we all seem to forget that. I think Obama was quite naive in his thinking that he could accomplish everything and still mend the country after eight long and devastating years of partisanship, lies, corruption, financial, and diplomatic disasters. And, after just a short two years, there were a lot people who simply looked at the situation in a very narrow mindset and said, "I'll vote Republican, because this guy isn't fixing anything.... and look what the Democratic Congress has done: Spent money on its citizens, instead of buying bullets, bombs, and tanks!

Then we ended up with a Congress whose main objective is to set the country on a path that will ensure that Obama is out of office! Compromise on nothing, block everything, and make accusations that, if anything, were more in portrayal of the Bush administration.

I liken that to a guy who has two kids in their teens.... the first gets their driver's license and Dad gives them a car. But the kid's driving is horrendous; they can't keep it on the road, they drive drunk, get in accidents, waste all of the family's gas budget, and after a series of fender-benders that leaves the entire city in a panic, the insurance company and good ol' Dad say, "Enough is enough... you're grounded, no car for you. You've driven only eight months and now we're in a real mess!"

Then, the younger kid gets her license and Dad gives her the wrecked car, with it's now leaking, and gas guzzling engine and it's messed up steering. But this time, he tells the kid, "You've got four months to straighten everything out that your brother did, or else!".

But in two months, the wife steps in and sides with the older kid, telling you and the neighbors that it's not fair how partial you've been to the younger kid, not letting the older kid share. And then your wife stops making supper because she's pissed about it. Not only that, but she won't help the younger daughter do anything either. The poor kid then takes some of the family money, and tries to get the car fixed, at least to the point where the engine isn't leaking oil or sucking gas, but Mom steps in and argues how unfair that is, and not only that but the younger kid is not only doing what she promised, but is now squandering the family's cash!

Then in four months, the insurance company hasn't taken you out of the "high risk pool" because they've still lost money on your family's car, even though the younger daughter hasn't had a single accident or speeding ticket. So, you tell the kid.... "I'm sorry, but when I gave you the car I expected you to fix everything and you DIDN'T. So NOW I'm taking the keys back and giving them to your older sister!

And so goes the country!

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 01-11-2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I voted for Obama, I voted for change. I got the same dirty politics, the same party agenda instead of what the country needed. When President Bush was told the price of a gallon of gas, he responded "Is that right", totally out of touch with the average American. President Obama's response to solyndra was as insulting. We can't afford the debt, we can't afford the grand speeches and no jobs. The healthcare bill and how it was passed went against everything we were lead to believe. We are still providing healthcare and college assistance to illegals and their children, our borders still wide open to criminals. No, the republicans didn't fix a darn thing either, but I refuse to reward more of the same just from the other party. "And so goes the country", it's gone in my opinion. Seriously, what are the chances a republican President , or President Obama if re-elected doing enough, or anything different to change our course?

CWS, that car you are talking about has been broken for a long, long time, unfortunately not enough people noticed. It should have been sent to the shop forty years ago. We could never afford the loss of businesses and jobs, or the tens of millions of illegals, or the wars, or the loans we received, or the tax payer funded money we gave to adults and children who did not pay into the system. The bill is coming due and we have nothing in the bank, and no prospect of reducing our spending or earning more money. That car you spoke of would stand a better chance if the family dog was driving. Frank

Comment

Franki,

I think you missed my point. You're playing the part of dear old Dad... you feel that the youngest kid (Obama) needed to make everything right, afterall that was what was promised and NOW you're going to vote Republican (give the keys back to the older kid) but promises were not met. You and millions of others listened to Mother in their attempts to discredit the younger kid and thus block any possible good that could be done in the remaining period. So now you're even more upset and you're vowing to take the keys away and give them back to the Republicans who not only created this mess, but have done everything in their power to negate any possible corrections.

The open borders were created and amplified under the past Republican administration, in which a historical number of illegal immigrants came across our southern border. Also, there were historically record-breaking numbers of jobs that were shipped out of this country under that same administration. The Republican Congress has set forth unmeasureable tax breaks and incentives for American business to move our jobs abroad and Obama has NOT been able to get a single piece of legislation through this Republican Congress to reverse any of that.

If that weren't bad enough, there's not a single Republican candidate that wants to do anything but lower taxes further on American corporations (of which 2/3 rds pay nothing. And, they want to do away with any controls over pollution, worker safety, consumer safety, or any other factors that would directly serve the American People.... it's ALL about freeing up and removing any cost constraints on America's Corporate Rich.

Hey, don't vote for a Democrat if you wish, but for God's sake (and the sake of the American People) don't vote for a Republican either! Is your UNION running anybody?

CWS

Comment

CWS, I understood your analogy but the fact still remains, President Obama and the democrats did nothing in my opinion to address the economy, government overspending and everything else I mentioned. I know republicans are pro corporations and anti labor, but since I believe the current administration has not and will not accomplish what needs to be done, why not turn it over to the republicans? I know they will try to hurt the American labor force and push for a more favorable corporate atmosphere. My point is that we can't keep going the current course, and if the republicans gain power and do nothing positive, we will at least be clear that neither party gives a dam for "we the people". Do you really think the democrats acted in our best interest? They had opportunities before republicans took control of the house, they could have gained more public trust by agressiviely investigating solyndra and that embarassing arms deal. We both know nothing will be done to create jobs by further reducing corporate taxes. Democratic and republican legislators will never empose heavy tarrifs and trade limits on imports as other nations do to encourage domestic manufacturing. The EPA and OSHA won't rethink things to allow America to once again become a powerful home to manufacturing, and possibly reduce our dependance on china, mexico and the rest of the world. When people speak of free trade and open markets they should have to back those statements up with hard facts.

I still say, democratic or republican, there is no reason to believe either party will finally act in the best interest of our country and the masses. I think it's just a matter of time until we collapse and both parties realize the err of their ways. We could not and cannot afford the government programs that provide so much to the people, and we could not and cannot afford to have corporations and jobs benefit from a workforce and environment outside of our country. Both parties are to blame for our current situation and neither has proven themselves capable or willing of the necessary change. Just my opinion. Frank
            Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-12-2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

This was once a great country, in all respects. It is no longer. Many american companies sold the worker down the drain in the name of profit. They whine and cry about restrictions while they move their factorys elsewhere then send the product back here and american idiots buy it. Bush was a liar and the voter put him back in office. Green jobs are a joke, republicans and democrats are more interested in whats best fr the party- not the people-. The economy may be ok for the 1% but you can put a fork in this country cause its done. American business and politicians are not willing to take the drastic steps required to really spur recovery in the USA. My Father was a WWII vet and he would roll over in his grave to see what the voter has allowed these avaricious ' leaders' and business types to accomplish. And for those who voted for bush twice , if the gods are good you will have your pension and retirement benefits set asside by some court

Comment

Originally posted by boston202 View Post
                This was once a great country, in all respects. It is no longer. Many american companies sold the worker down the drain in the name of profit. They whine and cry about restrictions while they move their factorys elsewhere then send the product back here and american idiots buy it. Bush was a liar and the voter put him back in office. Green jobs are a joke, republicans and democrats are more interested in whats best fr the party- not the people-. The economy may be ok for the 1% but you can put a fork in this country cause its done. American business and politicians are not willing to take the drastic steps required to really spur recovery in the USA. My Father was a WWII vet and he would roll over in his grave to see what the voter has allowed these avaricious ' leaders' and business types to accomplish. And for those who voted for bush twice , if the gods are good you will have your pension and retirement benefits set asside by some court
                Its not just in the US its the same in every so called democratic country world wide we the people have allowed it to happen the majority are apathetic and couldn`t care less until it effects them Reagan and Bush senior started globalization and free trade bringing us all down to one common denominator where all are payed the same and our standards of living world wide are all the same POOR and there is no middle class which democracy is built on and what is left is the master and slave

Tony

Comment

Working...
                X