X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Truck Boxes

Didn't find a thread on these, so I'm starting a new one.

I'm looking for a box for my pickup. I like the Weatherguard brand (made by Emerson) but wondering what else is out there that might be better or have features that Weatherguard does not.

I like the style with two lids that open from the side of the box. But that could be limiting with large items or long tools. My work truck had one of these and it worked for what my work entailed so that is why I am thinking of getting one for my own truck. The models with the single lid that spans the whole bed look to be more of a PITA to open/close when accessing from outside the bed standing alongside the truck. I don't need to carry long items like shovels or a 48" level so I don't think my choice will present a problem but since these boxes go for anywhere from $350 up to $1K (MSRP) it doesn't hurt to get opinions.

I also don't care for the look of the diamond plate pattern, I like the smooth painted or powder-coated finish better.
    I'm lookiing for something that will look nice (and be functional) for a truck like this.

Attachment

Maybe a pair of side boxes (or even one on the drivers side) would suit me better.
    http://www.weatherguard.com/images/p...-3_239_alt.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-14-2012, 03:14 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Pickup Truck Boxes

If you are looking for real security and a variety of styles check out McWelco.

Truck Boxes : Tool Truck Boxes : McWelco.com

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The last cross over pickup tool box I bought. I went to the salvage/junk yard and got it for $35, a new coat of paint and it was/is as good as a show room floor model,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        If you are looking for real security and a variety of styles check out McWelco.

Truck Boxes : Tool Truck Boxes : McWelco.com

Mark
        Those are some nice boxes Mark, thanks for the link. I am liking that 3 lid box, have to take some measurements and see if it'll fit.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

Bob checkout Highway products, as you could probably have them make a custom box for you, if you don't like what they offer. Check out their website cause they have a lot of neat stuff on there.

Pickup Truck; Semi Tool boxes, Cab guards, Pickup Headache Racks, bed slides, Truck Flatbeds, RV Truck Tow bodies, RV Hauler, RV Toter, Trailer and Flatbed underbody toolbox manufacturer since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            Bob checkout Highway products, as you could probably have them make a custom box for you, if you don't like what they offer. Check out their website cause they have a lot of neat stuff on there.

Pickup Truck; Semi Tool boxes, Cab guards, Pickup Headache Racks, bed slides, Truck Flatbeds, RV Truck Tow bodies, RV Hauler, RV Toter, Trailer and Flatbed underbody toolbox manufacturer since 1980.

Nice. I will call them for a price on a custom saddle box. I like the low profile but I want it powder-coated white to match the truck as close a possible. The truck is tri-metallic white which looks great. White powder-coat on the box will look good I think. No diamond plate, I don't like that look on a truck box. I looked through their whole site, some nice products for RV haulers, semi trucks, fuel tanks, gun lockers, specialized bodies for surveyors (my brother would like these) even boats.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

McWelco is the only way to go. We use them exclusively. Every truck box on the market can be broken into with a five lb. sledge/hammer and a 3/8" punch. What makes the McWelco the best is the main padlock encasment. I know of only one of these boxes ever being broken into. A good friend of mine years ago had one broken into at his yard over a weekend. The thieves had to use a 20lb sledge and a fire wood wedge. After two days of beating on the box they finally got the weld to break on one of the locking tabs. When they came in on Monday the box was open, the lock was undamaged but still securely attached to both locking tabs.

The best way to buy them is used. Look them up on Craig's List. We buy em used, grind them down to metal and then have them sprayed with bed liner, inside and out. This is the model we use in our pick-ups that don't have service bodies: Inside-Bed Box : McWelco.com . If you have a full size 8' bed these units give you about 8 inches of lower clearance so you can still get lumber, sheets of plywood, drywall etc into them.

There more money but when you carry thousands of dollars of tools, instrumentation etc... inside of them you feel peace of mind. I have a good friend who is a cop and we go fishing all the time. When we go surf fishing he does not want to lug his gun down to the sand because he can't keep full control of it so we lock it in the McWelco along with wallets, money etc...
              Last edited by Watersurgeon; 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I received a nice email from McWelco the other day with photos and cut sheets of their truck boxes along with dimensions so now I need to figure out which of their boxes I like and get a price. I like the Highway Products boxes but the steel boxes from McWelco offer better security then aluminum. And I do not like the look of diamond plate at all. So right now am leaning toward McWelco but still evaluating.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Bob,
                  I dont know if there are any DeeZee dealers around you or not. I've always been real happy with their boxes.
                  Running Boards | Truck Tool Boxes | Nerf Bars | Dee Zee

I've had one of their chest style out of aluminum chest plate for 12 years and the lid still seals well.
                  but i know you dont want treadplate or the one piece lid.
                  most people around here opt for treadplate because they dont rust, unless its a job box and locking up lots of tools.

here is a link to one of there side boxes like you talked about.
                  HARDware Series Side Mount Tool Box - Black Steel
                  Last edited by MAS; 02-12-2012, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I used the McWelco boxes when I ran around in pickups. Best box out there!

wookie

Comment

I prefer you to use aluminum truck boxes, as these aluminium truck boxes provides secure storage for tools and work supplies. Some of its High quality designs provides additional storage space without losing any valuable truck bed space.
                      metal identification tags

Comment

Working...
                      X