X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Concordia Cruise ship aground

I just had a friend post on Face Book that he has friends who were on their Honeymoon on this ship. He posted they currently are stranded in Rome, Italy, with no money, passports, or identification. Boy what a mess and only 2-hours out of port.

People have already responded with the phone numbers of their friends and relatives living in Rome.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Costa Concordia Cruise ship aground

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    I just had a friend post on Face Book that he has friends who were on their Honeymoon on this ship. He posted they currently are stranded in Rome, Italy, with no money, passports, or identification. Boy what a mess and only 2-hours out of port.

People have already responded with the phone numbers of their friends and relatives living in Rome.

Mark
    Just saw it on tv. Terrible thing to have happen on vacation, but to escape uninjured is cause for celebration. Someone really messed up.

Comment

Turns out, Captain only had a learners permit ! No cruses for Us.
      Seems .If You don't get Legionnaires disease, You're raped or thrown overboard!
      I'm old enough to remember the Andrea Dora sinking off Boston. All the Italian
      crewmen got in the life boats and left the passengers to die!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I will be vary interest how they are going refloat it

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Turns out, Captain only had a learners permit ! No cruses for Us.
          Seems .If You don't get Legionnaires disease, You're raped or thrown overboard!
          I'm old enough to remember the Andrea Dora sinking off Boston. All the Italian
          crewmen got in the life boats and left the passengers to die!
          I went on one cruise in my lifetime, about nine years ago. The ship was one of the Norwegian lines, huge, spectacular. Ususal good things you hear about such ships, plenty to do, great food, etc. Personally, I think such things are for wealthy folks, and plenty of folks do get sick for the reasons mentioned, especially on less expensive ships.. If I could do it again, or if I had money to vacation in the future, I would stay in the USA, on land, near a beach. We have plenty of beautiful places in this country, where the food and water is safer and people aren't looking to kill you.

Comment

My daughter Jana and her family have spent the last week on a Disney Cruise. Now more than ever, I am looking forward to them getting home. I know they will be fine but it reminds you stuff happens.

Mark

Comment

I'm a little more worried now. To celebrate my 50th birthday my wife and I are taking a 2 week cruise through Italy and the Greek isles in May. I was already nervous about the state of the Euro over there and now THIS! If I back out now we lose the deposit. And if that ship was in deep water way offshore the death toll would have easily been in the hundreds.

Comment

don't worry bill, joey and i took that same cruise on our honeymoon 8 years ago. couldn't wait to leave port from venice italy.

15 million people take cruises annually. odds are good you'll be back

i'll trade you a k-60 for your spot

not sure if anita would approve

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick has the right attitude. I was being negative and not realistic. The cruside ships are very safe with few rare exceptions. On the tv last night they actually listed as the number 4 cruise ship tragedy the titanic! You would enjoy and be amazed at the structure, luxury and service onboard. Don't let this very rare event and some negative comments (I apologize) interfere with what will be an amazing vacation to remember. Frank

Comment

Too many of these "happenings" I think. This is especially alarming, as it looks like the crew and especially the officer didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. You'll notice the lighthouse (look at some of the web photo's) which appears to be less than a couple hundred yards from the lighthouse... isn't that like the most basic knowledge of seamanship, know that the lighthouse is clearly a signal of hazards and a point of "navigation" that means that you stand well off and away. Hey I'm a landlubber, so maybe I'm wrong in this; but obviously these guys were way too close.

Click image for larger version

Name:	d47f75d3d02adb44babac1f64e7c62bc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	15925

One of the problems with a "Cruise" I think is that too many of us just listen to the promotional commercials. It looks romantic, fun, a delightful vacation and I'm sure that for most of the cruises, it may well be. But you read of system failures in security, food processing, engines, etc. and then you read about fires on board, electrical failure, uncleanliness, etc., etc., etc. ; and that doesn't even begin to mention the weather, problems at the ports-of-call, and the general security to protect you and your family from the shortcomings of other patrons.

A case in point was a couple of decades ago, my in-laws took a cruise. All they had talked about for years was taking a cruise when they retired. Well, they jumped on that with a total lack of knowledge of even the basic weather conditions. They left NYC for a cruise to the Carribean... got a great price and they were delighted! But, it was in the beginning of the hurricane season, and the cruise was so rough that they spent almost the entire cruise in the bathroom, from sea-sickness. They were still pretty "green-looking" when they flew home from Florida. It was a total waste of thier money and their time. We asked about the food, entertainment, etc... they had little to say, as I got the impression that they were too sick to even know. Bottom-line thought for me was that you need to educate yourself before you take that kind of vacation on.

On the other hand though, I had a good friend from work whose son was a musician for one of the cruise lines. It was absolutely a great job and my friend was often telling me of the people his son met, the fun and great adventures he had... but even then, he learned that there were certain ships of the line that were to be avoided. The question of course is how does the consumer learn all about these things.

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 01-15-2012, 05:12 PM. Reason: Dumb EDIT, which I didn't check 1st time...note bold words, 1st paragraph

Comment

I understand the Captain never even reported a Mayday.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        I understand the Captain never even reported a Mayday.

Mark
                        But he made sure to get off the ship and save himself! How do such people rise to these positions of power and responsibility?

Comment

It's called "corruption"... which means that just the right amount of money placed in the right hands put him there, or perhaps something less criminal, like "nepotism" or just the fact that he looked really good in his uniform.

OR.. it could be just one of those "principles"... like "people are promoted until they reach their level of incompetency".

CWS

Comment

The Captain's excuses:

…According to one account, Schettino told investigating magistrates in Grosseto, on the Italian mainland, that he ended up in the life boat by accident. During three hours of interrogation on Tuesday, he reportedly said: “The passengers were pouring onto the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault. I didn’t even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60 to 70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That’s how I found myself there.”

Mark

Comment

The captain reminds me of Shultz`s in Hogans Heroes "I know nothing I`ve seen nothing I wasn`t even there" but at least the passengers have got over the women and children first protocol and everyone for themselves is the norm

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X