X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bloody parking meters

Just learned this yesterday. They send out an electronic signal when expired
    to the meter maids ! At least in our town
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: The bloody parking meters

That's not the only electric thing California will have to worry about in the future. Your state just passed a law in that 1 in every 7 cars bought now have to be an electric vehicle, as California wants 1.4 million of those toy vehicles on the road by 2025.

See, the American people have spoken in that they don't care for electric cars, so what does your states government do? They will now FORCE YOU to buy them!!

Doesn't California have blackouts? Can't wait to see how the electric car will be affected by this at refilling stations. lol

Comment

In my dealings with Parking Meters, I've found that sufficiently fed with the proper amount of money, the alloted time will not expire before I return to my vehicle.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

When I moved to Corning, NY back in 1973, I soon discovered just what a nasty little town that place was. A bunch of guys took me out "on the town" at the end of that first week, and after a couple of beers and dinner, I came back to my car to find two rather expensive parking tickets on it. Unlike the Binghamton area where I had grown up, Corning doesn't stop it's meter parking after business hours. (In Binghamton, at that time anyway, meter parking was only in effect from something like 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM... and after that it was free.) Not only that, but the full-time "meter cop" will reticket you if your car is still there after another hour or so.

In the course of the first few months, I found myself getting several parking tickets... which was somewhat shocking, because I had NEVER received a parking ticket, in the Binghamton area, in the twelve years that I had been driving there!

Then I discovered, that what these "Meter Cops" would do, is turn back the meter on you. You'd drive down the street or into one of the several city parking lots and you'd spot someone pulling out of their meter'd spot, and you'd pull in and park there... get out of the car, check the meter and see that it might have a half hour or whatever number of minutes on it and so you'd quickly go about your business, figuring that you'd be back well before the meter expired.

But, when you returned you'd find a ticket on your windshield!!!

After about my fourth ticket, I finally caught on... I pulled into a spot, checked the meter and then walked away...but then once I was "out-of-sight", I turned around and came back to find the lot attendant (a city employee) sticking a key into the meter and turning it back. I confronted the guy, asking what in hell did he think he was doing, and then I got threatened and he summoned a patrol cop on his radio. Apparenty, THAT was the standard practice in town. I took it to court, wrote to the newspaper, and even brought it up on the local radio talk show... all to no avail.

After a number of years, they changed the whole system and now you get a receipt when you park there... and nobody trusts the few meters that are left.

Also quite infamous was their "speedtrap"... coming in from the west the speed limit is 55, but right after the "crest in the hill", there's a 30 MPH speed-limit sign and absolutely no warning. The cops most always have a radar setup about 100 yards further down the hill. The situation is so notorious that that section of highway is just down-right dangerous, because if you're behind one of the locals you'll find yourself almost rear-ending one of them as they ALL hit the brakes the second they crest that hill.... going from 55 or 60 to 30 in just seconds.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 01-28-2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Here is the simple fix for them pesty parking meters.

Comment

Philly's parking meter wars are well documented on T.V. for you all to enjoy. It's a real mess down in the city!

Comment

I think it was the show Jackass, one of the fools dressed up like a fairy and called himself The Meter Fairy.
              He was skipping along and putting coins in expired meters just in front of the meter Gestapo, until the cops made him stop. Turns out that in that city, it is illegal to put money in someone else meter. Talk about covering all possible angles to protect their revenue.

We have a State park here with an awesome beach. Only problem is parking is very limited so a lot park on the side of the road knowing full well you will end up with a $20 ticket. Not that big of a deal, I think of it as a parking fee.
              One weekend I thought I'd be smart and park in an empty spot in a line of at least 50 freshly ticked cars and put last weekends ticket under my wiper. I thought that was pretty clever.

When I came back I had two more tickets. A new $20 parking ticket and a $10 displaying a fictitious ticket citation.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                When I moved to Corning, NY back in 1973, I soon discovered just what a nasty little town that place was. A bunch of guys took me out "on the town" at the end of that first week, and after a couple of beers and dinner, I came back to my car to find two rather expensive parking tickets on it. Unlike the Binghamton area where I had grown up, Corning doesn't stop it's meter parking after business hours. (In Binghamton, at that time anyway, meter parking was only in effect from something like 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM... and after that it was free.) Not only that, but the full-time "meter cop" will reticket you if your car is still there after another hour or so.

In the course of the first few months, I found myself getting several parking tickets... which was somewhat shocking, because I had NEVER received a parking ticket, in the Binghamton area, in the twelve years that I had been driving there!

Then I discovered, that what these "Meter Cops" would do, is turn back the meter on you. You'd drive down the street or into one of the several city parking lots and you'd spot someone pulling out of their meter'd spot, and you'd pull in and park there... get out of the car, check the meter and see that it might have a half hour or whatever number of minutes on it and so you'd quickly go about your business, figuring that you'd be back well before the meter expired.

But, when you returned you'd find a ticket on your windshield!!!

After about my fourth ticket, I finally caught on... I pulled into a spot, checked the meter and then walked away...but then once I was "out-of-sight", I turned around and came back to find the lot attendant (a city employee) sticking a key into the meter and turning it back. I confronted the guy, asking what in hell did he think he was doing, and then I got threatened and he summoned a patrol cop on his radio. Apparenty, THAT was the standard practice in town. I took it to court, wrote to the newspaper, and even brought it up on the local radio talk show... all to no avail.

After a number of years, they changed the whole system and now you get a receipt when you park there... and nobody trusts the few meters that are left.

Also quite infamous was their "speedtrap"... coming in from the west the speed limit is 55, but right after the "crest in the hill", there's a 30 MPH speed-limit sign and absolutely no warning. The cops most always have a radar setup about 100 yards further down the hill. The situation is so notorious that that section of highway is just down-right dangerous, because if you're behind one of the locals you'll find yourself almost rear-ending one of them as they ALL hit the brakes the second they crest that hill.... going from 55 or 60 to 30 in just seconds.

CWS
                I'd be in Jail. I would lie in Wait,He'd have a redwing 1/2 way up His ARSE Hole as He turned it back
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Here is the simple fix for them pesty parking meters.
                  Dam I miss him! Poetry Frank, You ,Da Man!

Comment

Having a nice R and R day today. I was going to go visit a friend but I might just have to stay home and watch Cool had Luke for the 100th time.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Mama and old Man walking around G.G. Bridge, cliff house pathway. It will be right off the water. Movie and dinner.
                      Get off Your Butt, and Have a memory! Tool and Mama

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Mama and old Man walking around G.G. Bridge, cliff house pathway. It will be right off the water. Movie and dinner.
                        Get off Your Butt, and Have a memory! Tool and Mama
                        Dinner and a movie was last night. Too darn cold and windy here today to want to be outside. We'd come for a walk with you guys but I forgot to fuel up the jet last night

FYI: anyone considering watching Man on a Ledge may want to reconsider.

Comment

The weather was beautiful Sun. Great walk ,and went to the Legon of Honor. Looking at the Masters. Many around 1600 Ad.
                          Makes an Old Carpenter Humble.

Comment

if you didn't notice that was a ridgid #2-a cutter.

out here they slide a piece of 2.5'' gal over the 2'' so that it's double wall and will spin as it's only a sleeve.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Not fair !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X