Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keystone pipeline project

Yes, back in like 1998.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

The average price for gasoline in 1998 was $.99. The price has risen by 400% since then, and considering jobs loss, and other economic factors, I think this makes any recovery much more difficult. If the price was $.99 again, folks would drive more, vacation, pick up various jobs that are not cost effective now. I don't think our economy was prepared for the consumer shift in spending that big oil demanded, considering wages have not kept up with inflation and in many cases have been frozen or rolled back. Our oil reserves may put us in a good position if the supply dries up, but will we survive to see that day? I'm not blaming this on any President, I just think as a matter of econimic survival, something needs to be done to cap or roll back prices. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        We had spikes with Bush
        But even in his last year in office it would go back down to $2 .50
        The whole time the news blamed Bush
        The only thing i ever heard Obama say about gas was, You need to get rid of your old beater
        He never sent me a New Truck coupon ...because i got job

As far as Enron ... Bill Clinton let that bubble grow
        Perhaps.... but if you trace the Enron (and Key Lay's history) history back, you'll find out it started when Reagan was in office (1985) and there was some legal stuff when George H. W. Bush was in office. I don't see any mention of "Clinton" here... but of course that doesn't mean there wasn't some "touch" by the Congress of that time, or other "authorities". It is funny that we have a tendency to point away from our favored political idealogy.

Timeline of the Enron scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Funny , why would a Guy that never was a tradesman [ retired writer ] post on this forum so often??
          I guess , "just to push the Obama agenda !"
          Gee Tool, I guess you've really got me there.... !

I really love the "problems" that so many people have these days... in that "Freedom of Speech" is only permissable, when it is agreeable to their often narrow points of view and perceptions.?

Where is it written that this forum is for "tradesman" only? I must have missed that somewhere, but nonetheless, you are wrong... this is a website and forum that is catagorized into various subjects, some for certain professionals and some for owners and users of "Ridgid" branded tools; AND, this particular area is called "Open Discussion".... do you NOT comprehend that; or are you just against posts with subjects that you don't know about or aren't in agreement with?

Now, you joined this forum a year after me and you've posted almost twice as many posts as I have. How many "helpful" posts were those?

We're discussing politics here and I don't see any place where it is stated that only rightwing, or ultra-conservative, or pro-Republican views are acceptable. If the forum management wants me to bow out, then I'll gladly leave you all to your shared opinions. My objective here is merely a matter of entertainment and possible enlightenment of views that are pretty narrow in their basis... I have no "Obama agenda" as you view it, only an "American" one.

As far as your view of a "guy that never was a tradesman", let me tell you... I spent a number of years in the "trades" working with my Dad and my Uncles and though I will be the first to admit that that is old, the practice and skill is still there and is still being selfishly practiced. I've worked in a variety of businesses and industries and I've been a homeowner and a DIY'r for a few decades now. I probably own as many Ridgid tools as many other forum members, and I know well how to use them. Though I admit as to not being up-to-date with plumbing, mostly because I don't like it; but, I'm pretty damn good at a lot of other so-called trade skills including carpentry, drywall, electricity, and a few other things.

And lastly my friend, what exactly do you think a "Technical Illustrator/Writer" does? I'll tell you, he or she works with engineers, or who ever the experts might be that employs them for the tasks. As an illustrator I build machines and mechanisms on paper with every bit the finesse that a mechanic might. In fact, my work is often what a mechanic may depend on. Unlike a draftsman or the mechanic, I get to see both the engineering and the final product and I know first hand how it goes together, whether the parts will fit, and where the problems are. I've worked in and with R&D, manufacturing, product and field engineering, and marketing; and I've done that for six divisions of the major global compressor manufacturer, for two major machine-tool companies, for four divisions of IBM, for two major camera/optical companies and both the U.S. Navy and the Air Force, not to mention Ford, U.S. Textile, Corning Inc., General Electric, and a dozen or so smaller companies.

I am conversant in everything from compressor technology to optical waveguide manufacturing, and I've taken courses in, and/or written and illustrated everything from electrical wiring to RF theory to Military history to War College studies in tactical field operations to winter survival in the field. I've owned my own company, been incorporated, and have presented cost reduction, capitol expense, and economic studies for three different clients. In addition, I've taught Total Quality Management, Database Design, Flight Theory, Winter Survival, and a variety of computer oriented subjects. So yeh, I'm not in the trades and making my living there (nor am I argueing any trades issues either), but I'm confident in my skills and my experience is every bit as important and probably a lot broader than many people. But of course, I don't attempt to put down or question anybody's skill or reason for being here on this forum.

Now why don't you tell me why you think you are qualified to be here and I am NOT!

Respectfully,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            The average price for gasoline in 1998 was $.99. The price has risen by 400% since then, and considering jobs loss, and other economic factors, I think this makes any recovery much more difficult. If the price was $.99 again, folks would drive more, vacation, pick up various jobs that are not cost effective now. I don't think our economy was prepared for the consumer shift in spending that big oil demanded, considering wages have not kept up with inflation and in many cases have been frozen or rolled back. Our oil reserves may put us in a good position if the supply dries up, but will we survive to see that day? I'm not blaming this on any President, I just think as a matter of econimic survival, something needs to be done to cap or roll back prices. Frank
            Franki, thanks for the post.

Here is a link that you might find interesting and it confirms your 1998 gasoline price as well as give a pretty graphic illustration of what's been happening. Please notice the rise starting in 1999, the drop in 2008, and the current sharp rise that we are in the midst of.

Current Gas Prices and Price History

Now, let me tell you about the 1998/1999 scene. At that time, I had just about year into a promotion to the marketing dept of my employer, which was a major API member industry manufacturer of heavy equipment. We had recently got a new CEO, from the other side of our "Joint venture" company. They were Dallas-based and knee deep in the big oil business (and also an ardent Republican supporter).

Upon taking on his new dictatorial role as the head of our company, he ordered a 10% increase in "market share"... I remember vividly his televised speach about "the ship is leaving the dock, get on board or get off!" (We had a lot of very good engineers and others just quit the company that year.)

I was in the midst of designing the first database for the retrieval of both legacy and new equipment orders and tying all of that data into the API order sheet documents that we used in the processing of engineered equipment, and computerizing that process (a first for our industry). As part of that position, I was keeping up on the industrial reports, publications, etc. and well as order information.

What struck me about our new CEO's objectives was that the industry was planning and making a 10% cut in output, maintenance, etc., almost everywhere in the U.S. industry.

I approached my immediate V.P. about this, questioning how we were going to gain a 10% market share, when the industry itself was making a 10% cut. Also in question was my own interpretation as to why industry would be taking such a cut. I was told that my understanding of the matter was correct, and "you can figure out the 'whys', yourself"

Well, in 1998 the oil industry was profitable for sure, but not as profitable as they would like to have been. Also, there was going to be an election in just two more years and it seemed pretty evident that a good economy and low gasoline prices weren't going to be all that helpful for a Republican candidate.

So, with a 10% cutback initiated in 1998, it would take about a year for that to evidence itself in the marketplace. Sure enough, in 1999 the prices started to increase dramatically. Gas was beginning to zoom on this "manipulated" shortage, the economy as a result started to falter and the Republican machine launched itself into all kinds of propaganda slandering the Democrats. Of course President Clinton being caught with his zipper down didn't help the news either, but most important to the election process was that America was suffering from the economic downturn and high gas prices that were "obviously" a fault of poor Democratic leadership!

G.W. was swept into office and history was made. Of course we got hit by the war and lots of other stuff and the oil companies increased thier fortunes to record setting numbers. By 2002, the industry had turned the flow back on and we saw a drop in prices, but not back to the 1998 levels. The war and other economic pressures continued and the price once again started to rise of course and oil profits made historical records.

But in 2008, when the Democrats took lead, the price started to drop dramatically and it wasn't until the Republicans took control of the "House" that big oil was again able to take command of the situation... you'll note the high rise starting in mid- to late-2009.

Well, here we are in another election year... and history is repeating itself from 1999. We not only have the problems with speculation over ****'s threat to close the 'straights" (but NOT closed), and a couple of African oil countries in political turmoil (but no oil cut-off, yet)... but we have four of our U.S. refineries that have been shutdown for "maintenance?"

Now, I ask you, why would the American oil industry shut down four of its refineries at the same time? Especially when there is political turmoil elsewhere in the world.

Well, the answer is pretty simple... it's looking to make a couple of points, like the pipeline from Alberta, and the gas-fracking controversy and of course... THE ELECTION! If they can (and they have) manipulated the market, they get all the voters upset, the Republican machine splashes out all of its propaganda, and the API saturates the airwaves with it's wonderfully green, million jobs commercials... and the naive voters buy into it all and once again elect the Republicans and the oil companies gorge themselves even more.

We haven't seen the latest numbers from our own oil giants (like maybe they are waiting), but did you notice that BP announced it's $8 Billion in profits last week? (That's NOT just $8 Billion in business, but $$$ PROFIT!)... so like there really is no shortage, just manipulation.

What I also found out just a week or so ago was that we're doing some major investing in building a massive oil refinery in Saudi Arabia. Now, I wonder who that is going to benefit?

CWS

Comment

Guys, I expect that the mood will get heated as the election grows closer. I'm sure there will be no shortage of the various medias fanning the flames between the candidates. I am reminded that Mark banned political discussion for a while and with good reason, things got out of control! I enjoy hearing personal stories, job related stories as well as listening to opposing views on all sorts of things including politics.
              I just hope the atmosphere can remain respectful, we are not combatants. Tool and CWS sound like two very seasoned, educated and worldly men with more in common than they might admit. They have reasons for their different political views, but I'm sure they both want our economy to improve and our America to be great. You guys know how I feel about both political parties, I just want better for America.
              I want our children to have a chance at what we had and more. Americans working, enjoying the beauty and diversity of our land, and a few years of peace and stability would be a welcome change. Our political views aside, let's not lose sight of those who wish us real harm. Those who deal in terrorism, who squash human rights, who deplore all that America represents. We can voice our thoughts, present our evidence and still feel good that folks with opposing views can do the same. God Bless America!

Comment

Working...
              X