Keystone pipeline project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keystone pipeline project

What do You feel are the chances for it moving forward ?
    Any members think of working on it?
    I would love to get signed on as a welder,not in the 44 below freezing area !!
    Have worked Union 6 10s . Fat $$
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Keystone pipeline project

I think it would be a darn shame if it doesn't get the go ahead soon. No excuse to nix it except political. We need the oil, we need the jobs, it's just that simple.

Comment

Obama says he is waiting until after the Election. It sounds like the Chinese want to take over but I'm thinking Canada will wait for us.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm definitely for the pipeline for every single positive reason one can think of, and for Obama to go against the Unions on this one to appease the E.P.A. & the tree huggers is mind boggling.

What's even worse is..Obama gave Brazil $2Billion to drill so we can buy that oil, when it turn they are going to sell it to the Chinese.

I don't care how or what...I want to get away from depending on foreign oil for the majority of our consumption. The day we drill for our own oil, is the day oil prices in the middle east drop drastically.

We have enough oil right here we can tap into...so let's do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Obama says he is waiting until after the Election. It sounds like the Chinese want to take over but I'm thinking Canada will wait for us.

Mark
          Obama is gonna need every vote hes scared he might lose one if he makes a decision

Comment

I don't agree... the pipe line poses some very definite challenges and it poses a major environmental hazard in it's current path, as it goes over a highly significant fresh water aquifer. Even if was absolutely safe (which it isn't... look at the Alaska pipeline, where the "spills" have accured and largely covered up. (The U.S. petrochem industry "spills" 100's of thousands of gallons of oil, gasoline, and other chemicals every year and they are most always covered up.)

A break in this pipeline would be a major catastrophy, given it's current plan! (And from a terrorist point-of-view, this would be a prime target, which would largely be unprotected... and much easier to get at, than the Alaska pipeline.) Further still, is that one should learn that the more infrasture you build, the more cost there is to maintaining it... something that this country, it's representatives, and the taxpayers don't want to pay for! Unquestionably, the oil company's don't want to pay for it easier, over the long haul... and in less than 50 years it will be abandoned in it's waste and then left to the communities and farms to pay for.)

The other part of this venture, is that we could have just as easily build a refinery much farther north and therefore transfer much safer product... but the API members don't want to talk about that. Likewise, there is very little discussion (and even less truth) to the dirtyness of this product. Up to a decade or so ago, these oil-sands were "untouchable", simply because of the filth of and ultra-thickness of the oil. My ex-employer was one of the first to build specialized equipment for the Alberta oil-sands area and our engineers have expressed many concerns over the nature of this.

At present, the oil is being sent to Canada's west coast and even there it is posing problems and that is why they want to shuck it off through the central United States. Like always, the American Petroleum industry only see's $$$ and they have a history of spinning that in their favor, and never telling the true nature of the hazardss. (Perhaps you believe that blond lady, who struts across your TV screen telling us how wonderful, pure, and nature enhancing the API has been.

Here in NY we're besieged by their commercials of pure "green" their business is... and the fact is, it is no where near that! All you have to do is step across the state border to Pennsylvania where children are getting sick, people are coming out with new cancers, and ageless water supplies are now tainted. There's a couple of places where you can actually throw a match into creek and have it catch fire. AND that is for "natural gas" fracking... which is countless times cleaner than the oil product that is scavenged from the Alberta oil sands!

I'm not against jobs by any means, but you can't create short-term jobs by sacrifising the lives and lands of families and communities that have lived in the path of debacle for the last hundred years or so. How would you feel if all of a sudden your farm, your kid's school, or you community's water supply was destroyed.... just so the Exxon's of "Texas" could rape more money from your loss? Hell man, Exxon hasn't yet paid for the disaster they caused in Alaska... do you guys really think they are being honest here? You certainly can't listen to the politicians, they all have their pockets stuffed with oil money with promises of even more.

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 01-31-2012, 11:30 AM.

Comment

CWS, I used to have the exact same opinion as you do on these issues but they've changed. I don't think we can realistically afford to not undertake the pipeline even with all it's faults. We are in serious trouble and to miss out on this opportunity puts us further behind. If the government really wanted to get behind this project they could do all sorts of things to make it safer and on the question of people and property, you're not going to like what I have to say. I think the situation is serious enough to invoke emminent domain and displace property owners and entire towns if necessary. Personally, if it happened to me for the greater good of the country so be it! What are our options if we decline? I believe it really comes down to the lesser of two evils, and preserving the environment only to lose our economy is not a trade off I am willing to back any longer. Open up all oil rich places in the USA and along the coast, break the strangle hold the mid east has over us. I'd rather lose some wildlife than my country! Obama had his chance and made his worthless speeches on green energy himself. He donated our tax money to fradulent companies and refused to investigate them when they went under. Yes, big oil stinks, and so does our political system. Where is the honesty, where is the hope for the future? Other countries are raping the oceans, polluting the air, ignoring international laws and we insist on a code of fairness and good behavior. Reminds me of the British marching in straight lines when fighting American Revolutionists, you remember how that ended! We are fishing against other countries for our survival and while we use dead worms they are using dynamite and taking our chance for life right out from under us! Build the pipeline, cleanup spills, move people in harms way and instead of putting convicted terrorists through "Our" court system, execute them in public. We either get serious, get tough or die off. Frank

Comment

This deal will be obama's iceburg, it will sink him or he'll change direction just in time, approving the pipeline and look like the hero. He will probably agree to it weeks before the election, to keep it fresh in the voters minds that "he helped the country" though its years late. Dirty politics, but unfortunately it works on stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  CWS, I used to have the exact same opinion as you do on these issues but they've changed. I don't think we can realistically afford to not undertake the pipeline even with all it's faults. We are in serious trouble and to miss out on this opportunity puts us further behind. If the government really wanted to get behind this project they could do all sorts of things to make it safer and on the question of people and property, you're not going to like what I have to say. I think the situation is serious enough to invoke emminent domain and displace property owners and entire towns if necessary. Personally, if it happened to me for the greater good of the country so be it! What are our options if we decline? I believe it really comes down to the lesser of two evils, and preserving the environment only to lose our economy is not a trade off I am willing to back any longer. Open up all oil rich places in the USA and along the coast, break the strangle hold the mid east has over us. I'd rather lose some wildlife than my country! Obama had his chance and made his worthless speeches on green energy himself. He donated our tax money to fradulent companies and refused to investigate them when they went under. Yes, big oil stinks, and so does our political system. Where is the honesty, where is the hope for the future? Other countries are raping the oceans, polluting the air, ignoring international laws and we insist on a code of fairness and good behavior. Reminds me of the British marching in straight lines when fighting American Revolutionists, you remember how that ended! We are fishing against other countries for our survival and while we use dead worms they are using dynamite and taking our chance for life right out from under us! Build the pipeline, cleanup spills, move people in harms way and instead of putting convicted terrorists through "Our" court system, execute them in public. We either get serious, get tough or die off. Frank
                  I'm starting to get a "man crush" on you Frank!

Keep it coming!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    I'm starting to get a "man crush" on you Frank!

Keep it coming!!
                    I admit my thoughts have changed over the years in response to our declining economy. All the things CWS said about the environment and big oil are true, but I just don't think they outweigh our need to move forward. I caught a clip of some kind of video meeting between President Obama and regular folks, and this woman said her husband is out of work in a sector that the President said was in need of people with his qualifications. Someone is lying and I don't think it was this woman! We are running out of time and need more than grand speeches. I'll seal the deal Flux with this parting thought. I don't care if those pipeline jobs to to Union folks or not, just as long as they are Americans!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      I admit my thoughts have changed over the years in response to our declining economy. All the things CWS said about the environment and big oil are true, but I just don't think they outweigh our need to move forward. I caught a clip of some kind of video meeting between President Obama and regular folks, and this woman said her husband is out of work in a sector that the President said was in need of people with his qualifications. Someone is lying and I don't think it was this woman! We are running out of time and need more than grand speeches. I'll seal the deal Flux with this parting thought. I don't care if those pipeline jobs to to Union folks or not, just as long as they are Americans!
                      I don't care either if those jobs go to Union or Non-Union either, I want to see the jobs, and I want to stop depending on foreign oil.

As for the environment, the E.P.A. will find a reason to ban everything known to man kind.

Comment

if they do build it I hope they by pass the Nebraska sand hills, (any body dumb enough to build though there just for the construction problems that it would present alone the water table being above the ground in a lot of areas)

much of that area would only be accessible by dozer, and my guess is you could lose a dozer in some places, yes it is accessible on foot or horse, but that is kinda of a hard way to build a pipe line, and some of the hills are 300' from peak to valley, (it is basically a old set of sand dunes), and to disturb the fragile layer of top soils they may start it blowing again, there is a reason it is called the sand hills).
                        picture is of a satellite view of some of the area, File:Nebraska-sand-hills.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Attached Files
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                          Hell man, Exxon hasn't yet paid for the disaster they caused in Alaska... do you guys really think they are being honest here?
                          Are you sure about that? If my math is correct, they paid at least $3 billion dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            I'm definitely for the pipeline for every single positive reason one can think of, and for Obama to go against the Unions on this one to appease the E.P.A. & the tree huggers is mind boggling.

What's even worse is..Obama gave Brazil $2Billion to drill so we can buy that oil, when it turn they are going to sell it to the Chinese.

I don't care how or what...I want to get away from depending on foreign oil for the majority of our consumption. The day we drill for our own oil, is the day oil prices in the middle east drop drastically.

We have enough oil right here we can tap into...so let's do it.
                            Remember that every drop of oil that comes out of the ground from somewhere
                            other than an **** hurts ****'s economy, so the reason for giving Brazil $2B to
                            underwrite drilling operation there might have nothing to do with getting oil to the
                            USA and everything to do with hurting ****.

Remember that the wars of this century will be fought economically as well as militarily,
                            dollars can be as effective as bullets in some situations.
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                              if they do build it I hope they by pass the Nebraska sand hills, (any body dumb enough to build though there just for the construction problems that it would present alone the water table being above the ground in a lot of areas)

much of that area would only be accessible by dozer, and my guess is you could lose a dozer in some places, yes it is accessible on foot or horse, but that is kinda of a hard way to build a pipe line, and some of the hills are 300' from peak to valley, (it is basically a old set of sand dunes), and to disturb the fragile layer of top soils they may start it blowing again, there is a reason it is called the sand hills).
                              picture is of a satellite view of some of the area, File:Nebraska-sand-hills.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                              I am for the project if they avoid the sensitive areas such as the sand hills. Moving the pipeline may be
                              expensive but it is small potatoes in the overall cost of the project when weighed against it lifespan and
                              the overall economic benefits that will be realized both from construction and afterward.
                              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                              X