New Project - Need Water Wheel Info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project - Need Water Wheel Info

I am the President of a new not-for-profit corporation which will be building a 1800s mining adventure. We will have a museum with old mining tools, a working blacksmith shop, an ore crushing station, a sluice box, a panning area, a mine entrance with cart, a dutch oven station, and a small garden with vegetables and fruit trees.

I have a creek on the property which has a total of about 160' of fall from one end of the property to the other. I have decided to look at adding a working water wheel into the mix. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I'm thinking about an 8'-10' wheel that will be 18"-24" wide. I'm just wondering if anyone has any info or recommendations and what type of flow may be required?

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 02-01-2012, 08:08 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: New Project - Need Water Wheel Info

Mark, sounds like you have some challenging and fun projects ahead. I did a Internet search and was surprised by how much information is out there. This link has a step by step, good information and small video, Building a Waterwheel - Hydro

Comment

Travel to Cape Cod. Go to sandwich and visit the grist mill. It's still grinding corn to corn meal. New Hampshire has them as well as Vermont.
      I've always wanted to do this. Use a large truck rear end mounted in concrete. Water wheel would use a large wheel as it's axis. drive shaft to transmission transfers power for elec. generation or saw mill. I'll go if tozzi will
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I actually worked for a guy a couple of years ago, that built a water wheel along one of the rivers here. I can't remember if he built it for water reasons or electricity reasons. Very neat thing though.

Comment

We had Grist Mills in Michigan too when we lived there. They worked just like they did back in the day.

I would think the flow would depend on what kind of work your going to do with the wheel. The size of the paddles or boxes would make a difference. The more horsepower required, the bigger the box and the amount of water that goes into each one. Like everything else on the Internet, there is probably a Water Wheel Calculator out there.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

My dad, as a boy ,took the corn to the Mill Man. He said" they had great conversations
            while the granite stones did their work"
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I saw one at a restaurant in Gatlinburg Tenn
              It was impressive

Comment

I have not decided just what we will use the water wheel for just that I want to add one. Perhaps we can construct an old arrastra instead of an ore crusher. The canyon next to me has an old arrastra which was originally built by the Spanish Conquistadors.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Vikers vane Hydralic pump would give many options

Comment

Working...
                  X