Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doomsday Preppers

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
    I've seen the commercials for the show but haven't watched. Things just get a bit silly I think. That of course, is not saying that I'm against a certain amount of defense and independance from the technologies of living, as we know it today.

We keep a couple of week's food supply and maybe a month's supply of drinking water, just as a matter of economic purchasing. While I'd like to think that I have a "survival" mindset, at my age I'm probably fooling myself to some extent. But, here is basically our everyday procedures:

Money... we always keep a few hundred $$ at hand for essentials like gas, food, household emergency, and a quick need to 'get on the road'.

Both cars are always "gassed"... we don't let either of them to go below a half tank.

We don't travel without food, water, blankets, jackets, boots, gloves, and communications (cell phone, lights, ham radio on multiple bands)

Weapons... I'm not big on weapons, but do carry a survival rifle and ammunition.

The house itself is equipped to be "off-the-grid" for short periods of time, hopefully nothing beyond a few days though. At that point we'd simply evacuate to either the other house or to other places.

In my early 20's I had great interest in "survival" and have been involved in several training exercises at that time, including four Air Force Winter Survival courses in NY's north country. But being alone and being with loved ones makes a really big difference on mobility, especially if you need to be defensive in such situations. I'm more inclined today to be "prepared" within a limited region, have a plan to stay (dependingn on conditions of course), but also have a plan and an evacuation route (a couple actually) in case you have to move. (Like both our homes are in historical flood zone areas, although each home is actually high and above those flood plains. But, I don't believe in being and "island"... the point is to establish "liveable conditions, and not just to "survive".

But, back in my 20's I also know a lot of these folks like I see in this program's commercials. Hellbent on "survival" against percieved calamities of Biblical proportions. It isn't just planning for many of them, it has become a lifestyle and they are in "survival mode" as a way of life. I look back at the almost 50 years in that mode of existance for some of these old friends and think to myself, that they have really missed out on life in too many ways, living away from civilization and it's day-to-day offerings. No thank you!

The other day I watched a movie called "Defiance". It was about the "Bielski brothers" and thier survival during the Nazi overun of Belerus (sp?) and how they evacuated into the deep woods for three years, saving over 1200 Jewish people by creating a community away from the civilization that had gone crazy. I'm not sure that could happen today, at least not under such a maniacal regime that was pent on killing them. Today's technology simply doesn't allow any of us to hide from an invader whose objective would be to find and kill us.

But, given a total breakdown of "the grid" and the government, we might be able to survive if we could get to "the wood" in small numbers. In mass, it is doubtful that our numbers could survive anywhere on the land. That time is long pass for most of us, I think.

CWS
    Good point made CWS. I think it comes down to finding the right balance in what we do. I take some nutritional supplements, I'm not expecting to live forever and if I miss a few I don't get upset. Anything taken to an exteme robs us of a full life. MY idea of keeping some supplies, tools, food and such is not a all consuming distraction from other things. If people could strive towards a balance in this area, they would be more self sufficient, in the event of a bad storm. This does not have to be all about an apocalypse.

Comment

As stupid as this might sound, years ago I went fishing at a local river and it included LOT's of walking in the middle of nowhere. To make a long story short, I cut myself pretty bad with a knife and because I "prepared", I was able to stop the bleeding and get myself back to the truck so I could go to the hospital for stitches.

I just think people should take a moment out of their life to prepare for whatever. We as a society are waaaay to comfortable right now, and an emergency/disaster only takes seconds to happen. I try and keep an emergency kit in both trucks and some blankets in my personal vehicle...just in case. I wouldn't think twice about helping out a total stranger if given the chance...I would be right there. Far too often we see video's of people walking by someone that's in need of medical or threatening situations, and that's sad.

Comment

I got into a habit of carrying a couple bandaids in my wallet since I started doing mechanic work years ago. A couple years back I was in a store and a little kid cut his finger, not too bad but he wanted a bandaid. His mom with her big purse had nothing, so I offered and the kid was happy as a clam. I don't understand why women cary these big, heavy purses and don't have a small flashlight, bandaid, folding knife! I tell my wife if you go for a walk and a dog attacks or mugger threatens you what are you gonna do, pull out makeup?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I got into a habit of carrying a couple bandaids in my wallet since I started doing mechanic work years ago. A couple years back I was in a store and a little kid cut his finger, not too bad but he wanted a bandaid. His mom with her big purse had nothing, so I offered and the kid was happy as a clam. I don't understand why women cary these big, heavy purses and don't have a small flashlight, bandaid, folding knife! I tell my wife if you go for a walk and a dog attacks or mugger threatens you what are you gonna do, pull out makeup?
          My wife is one of those women who have a big bag with nothing but junk in it!! lol I just have to shake my head and walk away, cause nothing I could say would change her ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            As stupid as this might sound, .....
            You mean to tell me that if you weren't "prepared" you wouldn't be here poke'n the rest of us? (Just kidding of course!)

Flux,

That's NOT stupid at all. I could tell you a dozen stories of people who have died because they were so naive and totally unprepared for the "what if's" that killed them and/or their loved ones. It's a wise man who goes prepared.

I used to be involved in air and ground SAR operations here in NY State back in the 60's and I've gone on a lot of search's. We most always found the "losts". Ashame though, that over a ten year period and probably a dozen-plus SAR missions, I only remember one actual "rescue". With a couple of exceptions, most all cases led to just "recovery" and sometimes that was months or even years afterwards.

One of the sadest cases was two college girls who went off the highway in a snowstorm sometime in the early evening. The area was under construction for a new highway and they missed a turn and went through a barrier, going down into a field. I think I was only about 16 at the time. Their car wasn't discovered until the following afternoon and by then they had frozen to death. No jackets on either one of them and this was before cell phones. They hadn't alerted the parents or told anyone about their "surprise" trip home, so no body expected them. Really sad part was that they were within sight of a couple of houses, but with the snow and bad weather weather no one noticed the car sitting down in the field or reported the broken barrier.

I used to read lots of sad stories like that... old people, kids, married, and sometimes just wanderer's. Hunters that go off and get lost and one local kid who got caught alone in the woods during dear season a decade or so ago, apparently killed himself because he was so cold and distraught.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Tony, do You have gun rights in Aussie Land ?
              No if we want to hurt or kill someone we have to do it up close and personal with a knife or same other object not from afair with a gun as a coward does and having a right to bear arms (GUNS) is not going to help you if society collapses there will always be a top dog and you can bet it will not be you as you will be on all fours squealling like a pig.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                No if we want to hurt or kill someone we have to do it up close and personal with a knife or same other object not from afair with a gun as a coward does and having a right to bear arms (GUNS) is not going to help you if society collapses there will always be a top dog and you can bet it will not be you as you will be on all fours squealling like a pig.

Tony
                Tony, you're straining relations with that kind of talk. What happened? We have plenty of responsible gun owners, people in law enforcement, hunters, marksmen and those who carry for personal protection. Those folks might be able to keep some sort of peace if things get bad and our police and military can't handle the load. You upset over something else going on? Frank

Comment

The intrestng thing is, not that many years ago most ever one was a "prepper".

most ever one had gardens and cellars and canned and knew how to hunt and fish, and some knowledge of prepariing the meat,

now very few do,

most men knew some basic mechinics, and carpentry, plumbing.

most women knew how to sew make clothes, cook, can, freeze food, and so on,

the culture has changed, from this is the normal to your wierd or strange if you know how to do some thing,

in our area in january of 1949 there was once of the largest blizzards on record, for our area, basicly it moved in and stalled out for a few weeks pulling up gulf moisture and drifts of over 30 feet were very common, there were reports of farmers being stranded for untill spring, many were keep going by airplane, with air drops, Blizzard of 1949 Investigation

my folks had been gone for Christmas and had jsust got home when it hit, ran out of heating oil, my dad walked about mile to a neighbors go borrow 5 gallons of oil for the stove,

(this was after they had become electrified, and they had got rid of the cook stove, they had a tough time making it)
                  have pictues of my mother walking over snow drifts that were 30 foot deep, and we were not in the heavy part of the storm,

in 1977 we had another blizzard it took power out for over 30 days and were snowed in for about a week that time,

being prepared is not jsut for dooms day,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                    The intrestng thing is, not that many years ago most ever one was a "prepper".

most ever one had gardens and cellars and canned and knew how to hunt and fish, and some knowledge of prepariing the meat,

now very few do
                    That right there is SO spot on, couldn't of said it any better.

Society doesn't make people like my parents and grandparents anymore. I love hearing stories about the past and the things they did just to make ends meet.

Comment

Tony
                      Tony come on man, with a statement like that... why would you need a knife then?

I'm a responsible fire arms owner not because I'm scared of anything, I have firearms because I want to be left alone, which means I don't want someone bothering me or my family.

Comment

Tony
                        Did a dingo kill the baby ?
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Don't judge us By Your shortcomings ! PISS OFF!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hey, Boyscout Motto "Be Prepared"
                            sigpic

Comment

most men knew some basic mechinics, and carpentry, plumbing.

most women knew how to sew make clothes, cook, can, freeze food, and so on,

And you used to learn those basic skills at home and in school.

Now a days you can't gain that knowledge at either location.
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 02-19-2012, 05:00 AM.
                              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Sorry I'm a little late here.

Usually I keep a few extra supplies around the house of basic everyday stuff. It's really common sense stuff, especially since all the natural disasters that struck last year.
                                Extra box or two of mac and cheese.
                                A full propane tank for the grill.
                                A gallon of bottled water in the fridge.
                                Vitamin pills
                                Canned stews (Thank you dinty moore!)
                                Full first aid kit.
                                Hell, if the situation gets desperate enough, there is always draining the water heater for fluids.

Actually where I'm at, I came across two things that can make life easier in an emergency:
                                Heater meals where all you need is a little water to activate a heater pad for hot food (Similar to how an MRE works) and Nestle rolled out these heating kits to make about a gallon of ether hot coffee or hot water for tea and cocoa. I'll provide links later.

Comment

Working...
                                X