Doomsday Preppers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doomsday Preppers

Has anyone been watching this show on Nat. Geo.?

I'm actually intrigued by the show, and prepping does make some sense to me. Some of these people they profile do make me giggle though, but then again, if something heaven forbid happens...they would be laughing at me for not being prepared.

Thoughts?

Re: Doomsday Preppers

Most of those people still have their preparations left over from Y2K!!!!!

Comment

I don't get the channel but I saw the promos. I think it makes perfect sense to be somewhat prepared for a disruption in services, food, power and transportation. Don't know if the streets and roads will be roamed by hoards of lawless folks, but there is a better chance of the disruptions I mentioned. Would it kill us to have a few cases of mac and cheese, either bottled water or a way to boil pool or pond water? Some extra medicines and medical supplies on hand don't cost much. In my opinion you can make your life easier if you are prepared for a serious natural disaster as well as a doomsday event. I agree that the folks getting ready will have a big jump on the rest of us standing around , talking to the neighbors about no tv, radio, news, food, etc. Imagine if you could eat and stay safe for a couple months while others dropped like flies, you might live past the worst of it?

I got spare chains for the chainsaws and a professional sharpener, spare parts for other tools, spare wire, pipe, propane, b tanks, generator and food! My brother inlaw the financial expert tells me stupid people "warehouse" supplies, he only buys what he will have an immediate use for and keeps nothing on hand. I'd like to smack the smirk off his face and God forbid things ever get bad he is the one who will feel stupid. Does it really cost so much to keep some things on hand? Some of the white collar dummies in my neighborhood still don't own a flashlight. Hope they don't come knocking on my door, they have had more than enough storm related outages to get the message.
      I got plenty of wood on hand and if things get real bad I have no problem roasting one of those couch potatoes for dinner.

Comment

I got nothing but the essentials. A cabinet full of guns and a foot locker full of ammo. Bring it on!!!!!!!
        sigpic

Comment

On the show, those people buying up MRE's doesn't really make sense to me, cause it has a shelf life. Canning seems more of a better option then MRE's imo. I wish I knew how to can, cause I think that is something I would actually do.

I look at it like this, major snow storms empty the local supermarket shelves for days! I could just imagine what a disaster would cause in this country if people couldn't get the basic necessities they need for everyday living.

I'm fine on the firearm department, buy my ammo stock is lacking. Inflation is still soaring in this country, and there is a reason why gun sales are still soaring as well.

I'm definitely NOT a doomsday person and think the world is going to end while I'm alive, but I am a "what if" type person. It doesn't hurt to be prepared for a couple of months of survival.

Definitely some neat things some of these people are doing on this show, and some things that make you want to scratch your head.

The one thing that caught my interest is...this prepper was concerned about the Nations crops. Now I'm not a farmer so maybe one here can explain further, but there is this "worm" that eats the crops and the farmers use chemicals against it, but these worms are starting to get "immune" to these chemicals these farmers are using. Having a massive shortage of corn in this country would cripple us as a nation because we use corn for so many things.

Anyways,

I laughed at the guy who was fishing for fish inside of his in-ground pool. lol He has this elaborate set-up where the ducks crap in the pool, which helps the algae and feeds the fish...and blah blah blah. The guy who uses fire wood to drive his truck around his compound was pretty neat...to be expected from an engineer though. The main theme I got from this show so far was...being dependent on other things for food, water, energy etc.
          Last edited by Flux; 02-17-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

My question has always been "so how long do you hold out for?" 6 weeks, 3 months, a year? what's the difference? sooner or later you're gonna hafta fight, hide or organize. Me, I'm putting on my oil skin coat, tricorn hat with feather and eye patch and go a pirating. Arrrrrrgggggg me mateys...there's plunder to be had
            sigpic

Comment

I believe there is a shelf life to canned goods as well as jarred. Not very hard to do if you know the basics and have the supplies. You basically have to heat the food in the individual cans or jars until they are a certain temperature and then seal them, lids or mason jar lids. When the contents cool down it forms a vacuum and prevent bacteria from forming. Think it should be good for a year. You need to rotate your stock. Let's say you buy a case of mac and cheese in dec. , buy a replacement in six months and eat the old one. Rotate!

I have tunnels dug all over the place, you know what the south american cannibals call people? Long pork!!!There is plenty of food to be had, you just gotta know where to look and not be too fussy.

Comment

I`m going to sit in my comfortable home here in Australia and watch cable TV on 50" plasma and maybe watch CNN or Fox News and the American armed forces putting down any future revolution of the working classes with their allusions of grandeur and their right to bear arms being slaughted by proffessional soldiers under the orders of your government to keep order and this doomsday stuff is just rubbish maybe if their was a nuclear war and the vast majority was taken out but that is not going to happen.
                Look at Greece and the trouble their in but their govenment has them under control and if that happened in the US your governmnent would have you in control mob rule will not be tolerated and you know it

Tony

Comment

Maybe Tony, but you have no idea just how many armed citizens there are over here.
                  sigpic

Comment

Shows like this one and any other of the so called Reality TV shows are nothing more than a complete waste of time! I gotta run now cause it's time to bug out of here.
                    ================================================== ====
                    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                      I`m going to sit in my comfortable home here in Australia and watch cable TV on 50" plasma and maybe watch CNN or Fox News and the American armed forces putting down any future revolution of the working classes with their allusions of grandeur and their right to bear arms being slaughted by proffessional soldiers under the orders of your government to keep order and this doomsday stuff is just rubbish maybe if their was a nuclear war and the vast majority was taken out but that is not going to happen.
                      Look at Greece and the trouble their in but their govenment has them under control and if that happened in the US your governmnent would have you in control mob rule will not be tolerated and you know it

Tony
                      Tony, do You have gun rights in Aussie Land ?
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've seen the commercials for the show but haven't watched. Things just get a bit silly I think. That of course, is not saying that I'm against a certain amount of defense and independance from the technologies of living, as we know it today.

We keep a couple of week's food supply and maybe a month's supply of drinking water, just as a matter of economic purchasing. While I'd like to think that I have a "survival" mindset, at my age I'm probably fooling myself to some extent. But, here is basically our everyday procedures:

Money... we always keep a few hundred $$ at hand for essentials like gas, food, household emergency, and a quick need to 'get on the road'.

Both cars are always "gassed"... we don't let either of them to go below a half tank.

We don't travel without food, water, blankets, jackets, boots, gloves, and communications (cell phone, lights, ham radio on multiple bands)

Weapons... I'm not big on weapons, but do carry a survival rifle and ammunition.

The house itself is equipped to be "off-the-grid" for short periods of time, hopefully nothing beyond a few days though. At that point we'd simply evacuate to either the other house or to other places.

In my early 20's I had great interest in "survival" and have been involved in several training exercises at that time, including four Air Force Winter Survival courses in NY's north country. But being alone and being with loved ones makes a really big difference on mobility, especially if you need to be defensive in such situations. I'm more inclined today to be "prepared" within a limited region, have a plan to stay (dependingn on conditions of course), but also have a plan and an evacuation route (a couple actually) in case you have to move. (Like both our homes are in historical flood zone areas, although each home is actually high and above those flood plains. But, I don't believe in being and "island"... the point is to establish "liveable conditions, and not just to "survive".

But, back in my 20's I also know a lot of these folks like I see in this program's commercials. Hellbent on "survival" against percieved calamities of Biblical proportions. It isn't just planning for many of them, it has become a lifestyle and they are in "survival mode" as a way of life. I look back at the almost 50 years in that mode of existance for some of these old friends and think to myself, that they have really missed out on life in too many ways, living away from civilization and it's day-to-day offerings. No thank you!

The other day I watched a movie called "Defiance". It was about the "Bielski brothers" and thier survival during the Nazi overun of Belerus (sp?) and how they evacuated into the deep woods for three years, saving over 1200 Jewish people by creating a community away from the civilization that had gone crazy. I'm not sure that could happen today, at least not under such a maniacal regime that was pent on killing them. Today's technology simply doesn't allow any of us to hide from an invader whose objective would be to find and kill us.

But, given a total breakdown of "the grid" and the government, we might be able to survive if we could get to "the wood" in small numbers. In mass, it is doubtful that our numbers could survive anywhere on the land. That time is long pass for most of us, I think.

CWS
                        Last edited by CWSmith; 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                          Look at Greece and the trouble their in but their govenment has them under control and if that happened in the US your governmnent would have you in control mob rule will not be tolerated and you know itTony
                          Tony, the United States is the MOST heavily armed Nation in the world when it comes to it's citizens. If a civil war happen in this country, sides will be taken, and I'm willing to bet that most Military personnel would be choosing a side as well. Whoever was President would get over thrown and the military would take over until order was restored.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                            Shows like this one and any other of the so called Reality TV shows are nothing more than a complete waste of time! I gotta run now cause it's time to bug out of here.
                            Since when is it a waste of time to educate the public on prepared readiness? I'll agree with you that some of these people on this show are "far out there", however it would be silly to think that "something" couldn't happen in this country. Over the last 3 years I've seen a divided country that's getting hostile, and "some" of it played out in your very state on National TV. When I see people holding signs promoting communism, it gives me a reason to pause and think about me and my families safety. These nutbags were paid and bussed into your state. Then you have Francis Fox Piven encouraging violence in this country and around the globe. Not once did "our" President come out and tell these people to knock it off....why? I know why...and so do you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              Since when is it a waste of time to educate the public on prepared readiness? I'll agree with you that some of these people on this show are "far out there", however it would be silly to think that "something" couldn't happen in this country. Over the last 3 years I've seen a divided country that's getting hostile, and "some" of it played out in your very state on National TV. When I see people holding signs promoting communism, it gives me a reason to pause and think about me and my families safety. These nutbags were paid and bussed into your state. Then you have Francis Fox Piven encouraging violence in this country and around the globe. Not once did "our" President come out and tell these people to knock it off....why? I know why...and so do you.
                              Great post Flux! Why are people who try to be somewhat prepared the nut jobs and those who are totally unprepared normal? I put a blanket, length of rope, roll of duct tape, and flashlight in every car we own. I carry a good folding knife and butane lighter. When we go out for a drive longer than an hour we carry a couple water bottles. I have seen winter and summer storms here that knocked out power for a week and shut down roads for three days. Strange feeling to be so cutoff . I can't imagine what it would be like to lose all food deliveries and fuel for a couple months. In my opinion people spend way too much money on stupid things and not enough on basic essentials that might save their lives in the event of a serious storm or other disaster. We are foolish to think the government would be able to maintain order and provide food and water to the masses. Smart people have some back up plan and some essentials. How long could some of these folks who have almost no food in their homes, no tools or machines, no supplies, no way to get clean water or keep warm, survive? I hope we never see it but things would get real bad, real fast. Just look at how the food stores and places like home depot empty shelves in anticipation of a bad storm, multiply that by a proplonged period. Better get off that couch! Set up a few shelves for supplies and figure out how to provide, heat, clean water, food, fire, electricity and protection.

Comment

Working...
                              X