X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Upgrade' to LED or CFL Lights

Bob, the "luminous" efficiency of an normal old white tungsten filament incandescent light bulb is more like 1.5-2.5%.

You might be thinking about "luminous efficacy", which is measured in lumens per watt, but is not a percentage. That's around 15-20 lumens per watt.

Light is an odd thing. An incandescent light bulb actually converts well over 95% of the input energy into electromagnetic radiation. Most of it is in the infrared region though, which we can't see, but feel as heat. The "lumen" is defined to account for the eye's sensitivity to the different wavelengths of light. So, there are no lumens associated with emissions outside of the range of 400-700 nanometers. Within that range, the eye sees some frequencies better than others - the best being greens, more or less right smack in the middle of the range. That's why your 5 milliwatt green laser pointer (or gun sight) looks a heck of a lot brighter than your old 5 milliwatt 680 nm red laser one. The upshot is that when you look at an incandescent between 400 and 700, and then look at the actual lines that constitute the white light it's spewing, it's pretty poor in terms of efficiency as a visible light source.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Anyone made or making the switch to LED or CFL lights as their old lamps burn out or maybe not even waiting and swapping them out now?

I looked at the price of these replacement lamps and while they may burn only 10 to 15% (in watts) of an incandescent lamp, when you factor in the cost of the lamp I bet the payback time is 3 or 3 years. I noticed on reading some of the boxes that they are only guaranteed for 2 or in some cases 3 years, then you have to jump through some hoops to score a replacement lamp or the cost of a lamp, which it seems for most manufacturers is the only commitment they make. Never mind that the box says will burn for 22.5 years at 3 hours per day.

Here are some of the problems I see today that make it tough to 'go green' with lighting in your home.

1. There are very few choices for dimmable CFLs, and there are few choices in CFL or LED compatable dimmers at this point in time.
      2. Most of the product labels for CFLs say they can not be used in fully enclosed fixtures and not with dimmers.
      3. Most of the LED packaging I read when compared to the equivalent CFL use just as much power or slightly less, so not much gained for the added expense as the CFLs are 30% the cost of a LED.
      4. Not many LED choices out there, at least in the stores I looked at in the area there is a limited selection provided and within that narrow choice range they don't stock enough to be of use to anyone. what I mean is what good is it to have only 2 of a particular size lamp on the shelf? I am guess that his is there stock level because the shelf is full and ALL the LED choices have only 2 or 3 lamps in any given size.

I was looking at changing some of the lamps that we use most often and/or have high 'on' times each day as those would be the biggest money savers but I don't know if its worth it yet and for the places I would want to 'upgrade' they don't have enough in the size I need to do the job. I guess I could buy some then wait for the m to restock but that would mean a another trip and more fuel and time burnt too.

I figure I will hold off for another year or so until LED production picks up a bit and more manufacturers get in the game. Then the prices should drop a tad and availability and selection should go up.

One of the buildings at work was just re-lamped with all LED fixtures, replacing hundreds of fluorescent fixtures in the drop ceilings. The new fixtures have IR detectors that will shut the lights off 5 minutes after everyone leaves the room. In some of the corridors which are not heavily traveled the lights go off and when you start walking down the hallway they all come on in groups of 2 or 3 without having to touch a switch. The light they provide is bright white, nice and crisp and clear for a business setting. At home you would want warmer colored LEDs which are available of course. I was told the projected payback for this building upgrade is 4 years. That's to pay back the cost of the new fixtures and the installation cost. The LED lamps are supposed to have a 20+ year lifespan.
      Personally I have never looked into this or done research.

However both LED's and CFL's are very promising upgrades.

Comment

Sooner or later everyone is going to be using LED, we made the switch and haven’t looked back. Sure they are more expensive to buy and convert but the savings on your power bill are amazing. They also last a lot longer, do the math on your power bill and you will see why the switch to LED imminent.

Comment

Originally posted by lesliemorris85 View Post
          Sooner or later everyone is going to be using LED, we made the switch and haven’t looked back. Sure they are more expensive to buy and convert but the savings on your power bill are amazing. They also last a lot longer, do the math on your power bill and you will see why the switch to LED imminent.
          If I have not yet said "Welcome", WELCOME to the Forum! Just about all the bulbs in and out of my house are cfl's. Six recessed in my kitchen are regular 65watt incandescent and I will soon be changing them. Saw that Costco had dimmable LED retrofits for my application. I'll buy one and see how it fits's and looks. I'm retired and home most of the day so this will save me a lot over time. Last year I switched to cfl candle style bulbs in my dining room, takes a couple of minutes to get bright but well worth the savings.

Comment

Originally posted by lesliemorris85 View Post
            In some instances, not all. My cousin, an electrician, bought an LED integrated floodlamp fixture at wholesale prices. The calculation to recover the cost of the electricity saved vs. the cost of the unit is 33 years. Yes, that's thirty-three!

To hell with the damn tree huggers and efficiency. I pay my electric bill and if I want a 500 watt old-candescent street lamp lighting my yard I shall have it. It is called the Jesus Light, because when it turns on the neighbors say JEEZUS!
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              If I have not yet said "Welcome", WELCOME to the Forum! Just about all the bulbs in and out of my house are cfl's. Six recessed in my kitchen are regular 65watt incandescent and I will soon be changing them. Saw that Costco had dimmable LED retrofits for my application. I'll buy one and see how it fits's and looks. I'm retired and home most of the day so this will save me a lot over time. Last year I switched to cfl candle style bulbs in my dining room, takes a couple of minutes to get bright but well worth the savings.
              Thanks a lot Frankiarmz for welcoming me. Switching lights to LED is a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                In some instances, not all. My cousin, an electrician, bought an LED integrated floodlamp fixture at wholesale prices. The calculation to recover the cost of the electricity saved vs. the cost of the unit is 33 years. Yes, that's thirty-three!

To hell with the damn tree huggers and efficiency. I pay my electric bill and if I want a 500 watt old-candescent street lamp lighting my yard I shall have it. It is called the Jesus Light, because when it turns on the neighbors say JEEZUS!
                Where did he bought that light? and what's the model name?

Comment

He bought it at the supply warehouse. I don't know the model or name. I don't think that a consumer would be able to get it without a licensed electrician purchasing it for them anyway. Try eBay for similar lights.
                  ~~

Comment

the prices have dropped considerable in the last few years on LEDs I think the pay back to day would be much better, but it still may amaze one on the length of time it may take,

I put up a string of led Christmas lights a few years ago in my shop for a "night light" and they work well for that,

where I really find the value of them is in flashlights, nearly two weeks of continuous on time for a normal set of batteries, in my case that is about a years worth of use in many instances,

I do think as prices fall and the quality of them increases, (some of the first LEDs were very short lived, in my experience), they will become the normal as there are many different colors of the LEDs, and blends can come very close to what an incandescent is, not the bluish light of the first ones,

some of the first 50 watt equivalent bulbs were over $50 each, I checked into lamps for our Church and to get an equivalent lumen's as the current incandescents have it would have been over $600 a fixture, to match up with a 300 watt bulb, I have not rechecked of late to see what that cost may be,

but I do think there coming, to normal use in the near future,

I personally dis like the CFL's in general,

In some instances, not all. My cousin, an electrician, bought an LED integrated flood lamp fixture at wholesale prices. The calculation to recover the cost of the electricity saved vs. the cost of the unit is 33 years. Yes, that's thirty-three!

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

A friend recently had LED security lights installed in his office driveway. He was so unhappy with the lack of luminosity that he had the electrician change out the LEDs for brighter ones , which cost more. Why go to the trouble if the product can't perform the task intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                        A friend recently had LED security lights installed in his office driveway. He was so unhappy with the lack of luminosity that he had the electrician change out the LEDs for brighter ones , which cost more. Why go to the trouble if the product can't perform the task intended.
                        I get your point, however the introduction of new technology is rarely without problems to be worked out or refinements to be made. Many of the electronic ignition systems on our cars are in their forth, fifth or higher generation of refinement. Today's cfl's get brighter faster and put out more light. Present day LED's are much brighter and more efficient that earlier ones. You can choose to wait for a more refined product or jump in and deal with the short commings.

Comment

I found a similar LED yardlight to what my cousin installed in my wholesale catalog. It's a 250 watt equivalent. Wholesale cost is $747.
                          ~~

Comment

He bought it at the supply warehouse. I don't know the model or name. I don't think that a consumer would be able to get it without a licensed electrician purchasing it for them anyway. Try eBay for similar lights.

Can you post the image here for us to see it?

Comment

shaped like this:

~~

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                                I purchased that retrofit bulb and trim about a month ago from Costco and liked it so much, I went back 2 weeks later and bought 2 more. Bright white light that's also dimmable. I believe I paid around $28.00 for the kit. They fit 5 and 6" cans.

Went from 75 watt r30 to cfl to the best of them all led. Will be buying more when I go back to the Costco that carries them. Mine doesn't.

Rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X