Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Kidding!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No Kidding!

    Just heard on Fox News that oil prices here (gasoline) are destabilizing the economy. When you take an essential commodity and raise the price so high that it shifts consumer spending, prohits people from driving and raises the cost of everything that moves on oil, that's what happens! Why doesn't the fed open the oil reserves and flood the market to lower prices? Can that work?We have all these problems impacting our economy and this seems to be the icing on the cake. Possible that the high cost of oil products will be the straw that breaks our back?

  • #2
    Re: No Kidding!

    Because giving Americans cheap oil is like giving candy to a baby.

    That's not good parenting

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: No Kidding!

      Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Because giving Americans cheap oil is like giving candy to a baby.

      That's not good parenting
      Letting your baby die of hunger is a worse example of parenting. Seriously, it's fine to think we need alternative fuels or different vehicles, but given the present situation how do you expect Americans to survive? A lot of folks are having to choose between driving and heating their homes and buying food or medicine. Very few people can afford the higher prices at the pump and for heating fuel, and all the related higher costs. Instead of rolling your eyes, what do you seriously propose to allow folks to drive and still afford to live? Frank

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: No Kidding!

        Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        ............Instead of rolling your eyes, what do you seriously propose to allow folks to drive and still afford to live? Frank
        Ah Frank, you started this, what do you propose? Opening up the oil reserves is one possible reaction to our current state but I don't think it would be an intelligent long term solution.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: No Kidding!

          A little off topic but I'm curious why nearly every home on the east coast has a natural gas line run to it but the US is lagging WAY behind the world in Natural Gas Vehicles. Honda has only ONE vehicle for sale in the US market? that's it?

          Don't we have a huge untapped supply of NG?

          Aren't there conversion kits for gasoline engines to run on natural gas? NG has to be cheaper (and cleaner) to run a vehicle than paying $5 a gallon for gasoline.
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: No Kidding!

            I don't know if everything in this article is true but it makes for good reading regarding conversion to natural gas. I thought it cost around $2500 to the customer? Unfortunately for folks who are barely making ends meet that's not an option. I just think we can't keep going like this with folks not being able to afford to drive and pay other bills like food and medicine. A lot of areas where I live in CT don't have gas lines in the street. We would have to convert to propane and I had that when I lived in upstate NY. We had three huge tanks right outside the house.
            I agree that costs would be lower, supply greater and it is a cleaner fuel than heating oil, plus you don't have a filter, strainer and nozzles to clean and replace. The car conversions and gas boiler switch from oil should have started years ago, I think we are out of time.
            Here is that link about the conversion, Natural Gas Conversions Could Cost a Couple Hundred

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: No Kidding!

              Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              A little off topic but I'm curious why nearly every home on the east coast has a natural gas line run to it but the US is lagging WAY behind the world in Natural Gas Vehicles. Honda has only ONE vehicle for sale in the US market? that's it?

              Don't we have a huge untapped supply of NG?

              Aren't there conversion kits for gasoline engines to run on natural gas? NG has to be cheaper (and cleaner) to run a vehicle than paying $5 a gallon for gasoline.
              This country already has rejected hybrid type vehicles and anything "green" because we simply don't want that junk. Everything "green" this President has touted either went bankrupt or on the verge of bankruptcy. The Chevy Volt is so darn expensive, nobody is buying it, but yet we sank billions of tax payer money into these failed ideas.

              I don't think we will ever see the day in where are vehicles will run only on natural gas, because the government will have no way of monitoring it against theft. We all know there is a way around the gas meter....won't happen.

              I'm only 39 years old, and I won't see the end of crude oil as we know it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: No Kidding!

                Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Ah Frank, you started this, what do you propose? Opening up the oil reserves is one possible reaction to our current state but I don't think it would be an intelligent long term solution.
                When your house is on fire you are not thinking about long term solutions to the immediate damage caused by the firemen breaking walls and venting the roof. I am not concerned about the long term or doing the intelligent or politically correct thing. Call me a idiot or fool, but I want the economy to stabilize long enough for the smart things that should have been done to be implimented. We are sending billions in foreign aide to countries that hate us, how about spending some of that money right here on rebates or other incentives for folks to convert to propane or natural gas? I'm just saying if the situation is grave, we can't do nothing and assume everything will just turn out fine.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: No Kidding!

                  Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  ............. We are sending billions in foreign aide to countries that hate us, how about spending some of that money right here on rebates or other incentives ............
                  Now that's an idea that makes total sense. I wouldn't just pull aid only from the countries that hate us either as some of our friends don't need as much help as we provide them.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: No Kidding!

                    There is always the "one-two" punch of new nuclear power plants to recharge electric cars, enabling millions of Americans to commute to work without adding to smog levels and lowering a small portion of our fuel usage at the same time.

                    But enough of my crazy talk.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: No Kidding!

                      Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                      There is always the "one-two" punch of new nuclear power plants to recharge electric cars, enabling millions of Americans to commute to work without adding to smog levels and lowering a small portion of our fuel usage at the same time.

                      But enough of my crazy talk.
                      That's not crazy talk, it's the kind of talk, idea that lead to things like the Hover Dam! Imagine finished in 1936 and still providing hydro electic power. I don't think the folks in charge could do it today, not the engineers and workers, our leaders. Why can't we build safe, clean nuclear plants and make electric cars more affordable and practical? I don't see it happening and I keep thinking we are in a real tough spot with the price of oil. There were times in our history when desperate situations required cooperation, big ideas and action. Does anyone have confidence of that happening now, with the crew we have in Washington? God help us.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: No Kidding!

                        joey just left to get gas 15 minutes ago before the price goes up again.

                        she paid $4.07 9/10 for regular unleaded 87.

                        i paid 4.29 9/10 for diesel today.

                        the world news was airing tonight when the reporters 2 minute segment actually changed 10 cents in downtown la during the airing.

                        rick.
                        phoebe it is

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: No Kidding!

                          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          joey just left to get gas 15 minutes ago before the price goes up again.

                          she paid $4.07 9/10 for regular unleaded 87.

                          i paid 4.29 9/10 for diesel today.

                          the world news was airing tonight when the reporters 2 minute segment actually changed 10 cents in downtown la during the airing.

                          rick.
                          If I'm correct, doesn't California have the highest gas prices right now? I've only been out of the house once in 14 days (tomorrow I finally go back to work), and I don't know what our gas prices are yet.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: No Kidding!

                            Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            If I'm correct, doesn't California have the highest gas prices right now? I've only been out of the house once in 14 days (tomorrow I finally go back to work), and I don't know what our gas prices are yet.
                            Hope you healed up well. I bet you're glad to be getting out of the house and back to . You might be right about the highest price if it's a state average. Here in CT we have zone pricing, that means in my town the average might be $3.99 and one town away might be $4.29.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: No Kidding!

                              hawaii should be the highest in the country. followed by california.

                              rick.
                              phoebe it is

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X