TV upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV upgrade

Well, out Sony WEGA is on its last legs. The LCD screen takes forever (over two minutes)to warm up and produce a picture where 7 years ago when it was new it was near instant (<10 seconds). Once it does produce a picture it is so dark you can barely see it during the daytime, ity is onyl viewable in the evening when the room is dark enough. It's not the projection bulb, at least I don't see how it could be. That bulb is a halogen lamp (about $200) the is used to project the LCD image onto the rear project screen. I would think that bulb would be a works or not though its color may shift over time I don't see this type of lamp as taking 2 minutes or more to get bright enough to produce a picture. When the TV is turned on the screen is lit and the image takes time to brighten up to where you can see if.

So we are looking at new TVs and I am leaning toward a LED type and I wondering what everyone thinks of the various technologies LED, LCD, Plasma, etc.

So tell me your horror stories or how happy you are with your TV.

What make and model do you like or not, etc.

My situation is the TV wil be in the living Room which is about 20 foot square and the only place to put the TV is in one corner so viewing distance is on average > 18 feet. At the distance any thing liess than a 50" looks like a postage stamp. Our last two TVs have been 60" and that is a good size adn we don't feel the need nor have the room for anything bigger. When we moved into this house we had a 32" and everyone complained they could not see the picture because it was so small.

I thought about a projection TV onto a wall but we don't have a wall which could serve as a screen and no place to install a drop down screen (which would be ugly in a Living Room anyway) so that is out. It would be nice to not have that monster sitting in the corner when not in use though. Then we could put another recliner where the TV is now and have more seating space.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: TV upgrade

Recently I also did some research on the different type of TV's and these are the conclusions I came away with. Some of the manufacturers are discontinuing production of LCD's altogether and are going to be making only LED's. That fact, for me anyways, eliminated the LCD's. Picture quality of the Plasmas is good if the room it is going to be in doesn't get a whole lot of sunlight. Plasmas also had the best price point but the technology is a little dated. LED's offer a better picture in both bright and dark rooms but are the most costly. My reason for doing that research was our wide screen projection TV needed fixing and I was checking out what I might replace it with in case the repair cost didn't warrant fixing it. I ended up fixing the existing set but if I would have had to buy new I would have gone the LED route.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Plasma has, by far, the widest viewing angle if that is a consideration for you, although it is not the best choice if the room gets a lot of sunlight as BadgerDave mentioned. Samsung gets the highest marks so far in my research as far as LED TV's go...and the price fits my budget.

Comment

Go to Best Buy and check out the 42"plus line of LG led/LCD TVs

Back in December they had a 42" LG model for $549.00 model 42LV440UA

I now have two of them as our two 7 year old LCD TV's died also
        The LG TVs are excellent
        energy efficient great picture 120hz
        But you may find the audio anemic so you may want to include external audio surround sound

The new led/LCD TVs are very thin and light weight
        If you have not looked at TVs lately you'll be quite surprised.

I also like Sony but they are expensive!!! [but excellent] I like the Bravia models
        and have an older one.

I also suggest you avoid places like Sam's club and Costo as they get
        odd lot specific for there market or close out models....I question after market service!!!
        Off brand name TVs also have pros and cons.....price is usually the key here
        I passed on an off brand for the LG brand even though the off brand offered a two year warranty.

I purchased a Polaroid [brand] not the camera 32"LCD TV from Circuit City before they bankrupt
        service was a nightmare and once it had a problem it was never repaired correctly.

I do not promote plasma TVs as they are energy hogs, and cause all sorts of radio frequency interference!
        The LG led/LCD styles are QUIET and do not generate radio frequency interference

The 3-D TV for now is a gimmick I looked at them at Best Buy and immediately felt a headache
        coming on..............

Finally the way all stores present TV pictures are not the way you see them set up at home.
        The "in store program" is designed for maximum brightness etc...as the TVs also have to fight the
        florescent lighting glare etc.

happy shopping

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks to you both for your insight. I too am leaning toward LED technology. The Sharp AQUOS sets have caught my eye with their 4 color LED system (RGBY) and they have Wi-Fi built in so can access internet TV directly. I can do that now through the TiVo though so not a big gain or deal breaker w/o it.

I am hopin ght ecurrent set holds out this weekend for the Daytona 500. We both enjoy watching it and having been there once no desire to do it again but watching on a big screen TV is nice. If the curent TV dies we may be forced into buying something this weekend. :-)

Costco looks to have the best deal. They are doubling the manufacturers warranty plus you can get another 3 years of coverage for $99. With the new LED sets I can fit a 70" screen in the same size cabinet as my old 60", and the 70 would coast what i paid for the 60" 7 years ago. I haven't read the fine print of the 3 year extension and I usually don't go for extended warranties but I may consider it at that price. I got 7 years out of the current set. That breaks down to about $1/day this set cost me (plus electric). The new LED sets use the same power as my current set (give or take a couple watts), so no big savings there. I am also up in the air as to what to do with the old set as I read something about a class action suit against Sony over the WEGA sets not living up to their advertised longevity. If I get rid of the old set do I still have a case? I don't have room to hang on to it so I guess it will go to be recycled.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

I bought the Sharp 60" led Last Dec ,
            The picture is amazing

Comment

Bob, pull the bulb and check it. I have a jvc DLP tv that the picture dulled, it ended up being the bulb (and other issues caused by a failing bulb). The reflective coating on the bulb flaked off causing the light to change the focal point burning a filter. Anyway, check the bulb, its easy to pull out. Not sure on your Sony, but see if you can find the lamp hour meter. These lamps are only good for 3000 hours or so.

Comment

Btw, after going to a 70" tv, you'll never go back to anything smaller. I have a 73" Mitsubishi and a 70" JVC, and really like them both. On the class action, it shouldn't matter if you still own it. I was involved in a class action suit on my JVC, one day a check for nearly 700 bucks showed up in my mail box as part of the settlement... Used it to buy the Mitsubishi as I needed to fix the jvc anyway (found the part cheap online and fixed it myself). So, since I fixed it, I kept it and is now in my bedroom... Yes, I have a 70" tv in my bedroom, I'm a dork!

Comment

Bob you can have my Sony 36" WEGA but you'll have to pay shipping.

It's only like 175 lbs! It actually crushed the particle board TV stand it came with.

Comment

Well, it totally died last night. Bulb seems fine; can't see any damage or the
                    flaking of the coating you speak of. Not difficult to get the bulb out.

If the bulb has an average 3000 hour life what is the MTBF for the LCD I wonder?
                    This TV is just over 7 years and probably has 4 or 5 hours a day on it between everyone in the house watching this or that. We TiVo a lot of stuff that many times has interest to only one or two of us so the wife will watch Dr. Phil or Oprah then I'll come along and watch some woodworking show then we'll both watch football or NASCAR and what the kids watched when they were here I don't remember but they logged some hours on there too that's for sure.

So 365 days * 7.25 yrs * 4hr/day = 10585 hours

After 7+ years I think its time to move on. So looks like an LED is in our future.

I'm blaming Alphacowboy when I come home with a new 70" TV and the
                    wife asks: "What the he!! is THAT?.

"But Honey, the INTERNET made me do it!"
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Haha... I can take the heat! Just tell her, hey some people have one this size in the bedroom too.... Oh wait, that sounds dirty... Anyway, what model VEGA is that tv? Your color engine is what failed, and if you want to tackle it, swapping them out really isn't terribly difficult. I have found used engines for around 250-300 online in the past. I wish you were closer, I would take it off your hands, as my brothers and I are slowly collecting equipment for our "game room" as we like to get us 4 together and play xbox every now and then.

Comment

Working...
                      X