X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake or Possible Future Car?

I've heard of this technology a while back but don't know if it's for real or just hype? Could we see these cars sold here any time soon, or are they too impractical?

Re: Fake or Possible Future Car?

I sure hope not!!

just think what kind of tax the govt. will put on air.

Comment

if any one has ever ran a air tool most air motors are not very effecent, and even if it was postive displacment,

how far could a few (for lack of better discription) O2 bottles take some one,

The standard "K" cylinder holds 249 cu ft of oxygen at 70 degrees F
      now most impact wrenchs take over 10 CU ft min,
      CFM at Load 24
      Ingersoll Rand Air Impact Wrench — 1/2in. Drive, 450 Ft.-Lbs. Torque, Ingersoll Rand Air Impact Wrench — 1/2in. Drive, 450 Ft.-Lbs. Torque, Model# 236G | Air Impact Wrenches | Northern Tool + Equipment

so at 249 cu ft, divid by 24 cu ft a min, you would have about 10 mins a tank, of that size, so say you have 4 tanks, you would only have many be 40 mins of run time, and that is a very small motor, on the air wrench,
      Last edited by BHD; 03-03-2012, 12:55 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

the video mentioned 200 miles? i think it has a re-breather/ turbo to re use the exhaust/ discharge.

of course an electric compressor to refill the high pressure tanks is not cheap and so is the cost to run it.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I think we may have had this conversation a few years back if I remember correctly? I was curious as to what kind of compressor could build up such high pressure to meet the necessary requirements because most of the ones I'm familiar with don't go over 200psi. The other issue aside from how much air the tanks can hold is diminishing return. How much does it cost to produce the air to run this thing? I don't buy the claims of a hundred miles for a dollar! I appreciate the responses, good to get other input. Frank

Comment

frank, scuba dive compressors can go to 3000-6000 psi. the fire departmant uses a carbon fiber tank that i believe is 4500psi.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              frank, scuba dive compressors can go to 3000-6000 psi. the fire departmant uses a carbon fiber tank that i believe is 4500psi.

rick.
              Which brings up another problem, how to protect those potential bombs from damage or rupture in an accident. Of course the size and mass of the cars they propose to power with air is small, so maybe no worries from being struck by another air powered car, but when some plumber comes along driving a van loaded to the gills with a K-60, a tripod vise, a dozen lengths of pipe, a ladder or two, plus a few hundred pounds of fittings, a torch and all the other things one needs to do a days work you've got 4 tons banging into your little 1500 pound air car which will be crushed like a aluminum beer can.

I believe they can be made to work, I don't think they are practical for much more than local driving of less than 50 miles round trip but that is all many people need. My wife drives 6 miles one way to work, the market is only 5 miles away, the mall is 15, her circle of friends and family members is within a 10 mile radius of home, so the majority of here driving is under 30 miles round trip. I know she would refuse to drive a vehicle as ugly as this prototype air car, but I know they could be styled better and the same would go for a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle).

I don't see this method of propulsion working for heavy loads or larger vehicles which would require significantly more power and therefore consume a greater volume of air than a lightweight 'people mover'.

It has potential, it's just not the complete answer to our problem.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                Rick, your memory is probably better than mine but I'm pretty sure we discussed this a while back. I don't know how to look it up but your answer now sounds familiar. Those numbers you quoted sound incredible to achieve and as Bob D pointed out extremely dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                X