X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results of sledding accident.

Since the other thread was closed I couldn't share the news of my granddaughter.

For AFM, I don't think you're being too harsh. I try and see things as objectively as I can. The reality is I absolutely failed to protect my wonderful granddaughter and she's paying a hard price. Her dad feels the same way, that we failed to protect her.

We were on a very gradual slope walking to a slightly steeper area where we sled. I was recording my grandson's first sled ride (on the very gradual slope with my son pushing them along) so my back was turned for a few seconds. My son-in-law was pulling my other granddaughter on a sled a couple yards away. My granddaughter took her sled without anyone knowing, and took off down a slightly more steep area which was on the side of where we were walking. By the time we saw her moving a couple seconds later it was too late. There were three adults watching three kids, but she got away.

Things went from fun to agonizing suspense to terror in a few seconds.

She's never done that before, (grab the sled and go) and she's always ridden with an adult except on a baby hill we sometimes go to. Thankfully the hill was not steep, and she didn't get too much speed before she hit the tree. We were also extremely lucky she didn't hit any protruding branches that were sticking out. (I have little doubt she would have been blinded or killed in that event) I keep seeing the image of the accident over and over, I don't even have to close my eyes.

As things developed she didn't need brain surgery. The fractured part of the skull above her eye didn't move as much as the first radiologist thought and the bone didn't enter the brain. Her eye is fine. (The fatty tissue around the eye was protruding through the cut around her eyebrow). They were able to push it back in. The swelling is already going down. They actually sent her to three different hospitals if you can believe it. At first they said she would be in the ICU for at least four days if she didn't undergo surgery, then they released her after less then a 24 hour stay in the ICU.

We dodged a huge bullet, and nobody appreciates that fact more than I do. I feel I've been given a second chance and I won't squander it. I've never seen anyone sledding with a bike helmet on before but my wife has already bought them for the kids. (Have to be oversized to fit over the hats). It's terrible lesson we've had but maybe something good will come of it... If someone else is convinced to make their kids wear a bike helmet while sledding.

I'm thinking of getting some signs made up and posted at popular sledding areas suggesting protective helmets. (We're getting the kids goggles too btw)
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Results of sledding accident.

thanks gene for the update and the great news.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I also want to seriously thank you all for your kindness, positive wishes and prayers. She's healing so fast it's amazing according to one Dr. The Dr. said on the 2nd CAT scan of the brain, taken four hours after the first scan, the bruising on the brain had already nearly disappeared. Someone may have a direct line to upstairs!
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Thank you for the update, and Glad she is recovering so fast, and it was not any worse than it was.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Great to here she is doing so Good
          Kids will be kids

Comment

Kids are so resilient and thank God for that. I'm so glad to hear that there was no permanent damage done.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Geno, By the time I read the first thread, it was closed. Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear that all is going to be fine. For those of you who responded to the first, just a small clarification--she was sledding, not snowboarding. Big difference. Geno, please keep us updated. Thanks.

Comment

Just read this for the 1 st time. So glad She's on the mend. LOTSO Prayers from Us.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Glad to hear she is recovering nicely Geno. We'll keep the prayers coming.

I'm not beating on you but Geno I want to bring to everyones attention how fast a seemingly
                  safe situation can get out of hand. And I am not thinking of sledding when I say that, I'm thinking
                  of safety on the job and at home in your shop or working around the house.

"Safety Has No quitting Time" I'm sure you've all heard that one. Take it to heart and never let your
                  guard down. Because just as sure as you think you've got all the bases covered, something unforeseen
                  or unexpected will happen and turn it all around on you.

So keep your safety guard UP on your tool guards ON.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Glad to hear she is recovering nicely Geno. We'll keep the prayers coming.

I'm not beating on you but Geno I want to bring to everyones attention how fast a seemingly
                    safe situation can get out of hand. And I am not thinking of sledding when I say that, I'm thinking
                    of safety on the job and at home in your shop or working around the house.

"Safety Has No quitting Time" I'm sure you've all heard that one. Take it to heart and never let your
                    guard down. Because just as sure as you think you've got all the bases covered, something unforeseen
                    or unexpected will happen and turn it all around on you.

So keep your safety guard UP on your tool guards ON.
                    Very true Bob! Distracted for a split second, and it's all out the window! There is no fairness in life and Geno's situation is a perfect example of that. I bet he is very responsible with the grandkids and yet that split second led to an accident, the flip side would be all the parents and grandparents who make no effort at all with the kids in their care and "God" keeps them safe! While we can take reasonble precautions, I say we can't predict everything that can happen, and as a result accidents will happen. If another adult was watching my five year old (my youngest is 18yrs old) and the kid decided to run into a wall, or do some other unpredictable thing, how can I get upset with the adult? We expect perfection in an unperfect world. Kids will always get into trouble and hurt regardless of our precautions and alterness. Cars have become much safer to drive over the years but driving is still a very dangerous activity. Just do the best you can within reason.

Comment

Geno,

Thank you for your update. I am so very happy that your grand daughter is going to be fine.

A very tough lesson indeed, but one which has thankfully come out with everything being okay and no lasting physical injuries.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                        Since the other thread was closed I couldn't share the news of my granddaughter.

For AFM, I don't think you're being too harsh. I try and see things as objectively as I can. The reality is I absolutely failed to protect my wonderful granddaughter and she's paying a hard price. Her dad feels the same way, that we failed to protect her.

We were on a very gradual slope walking to a slightly steeper area where we sled. I was recording my grandson's first sled ride (on the very gradual slope with my son pushing them along) so my back was turned for a few seconds. My son-in-law was pulling my other granddaughter on a sled a couple yards away. My granddaughter took her sled without anyone knowing, and took off down a slightly more steep area which was on the side of where we were walking. By the time we saw her moving a couple seconds later it was too late. There were three adults watching three kids, but she got away.

Things went from fun to agonizing suspense to terror in a few seconds.

She's never done that before, (grab the sled and go) and she's always ridden with an adult except on a baby hill we sometimes go to. Thankfully the hill was not steep, and she didn't get too much speed before she hit the tree. We were also extremely lucky she didn't hit any protruding branches that were sticking out. (I have little doubt she would have been blinded or killed in that event) I keep seeing the image of the accident over and over, I don't even have to close my eyes.

As things developed she didn't need brain surgery. The fractured part of the skull above her eye didn't move as much as the first radiologist thought and the bone didn't enter the brain. Her eye is fine. (The fatty tissue around the eye was protruding through the cut around her eyebrow). They were able to push it back in. The swelling is already going down. They actually sent her to three different hospitals if you can believe it. At first they said she would be in the ICU for at least four days if she didn't undergo surgery, then they released her after less then a 24 hour stay in the ICU.

We dodged a huge bullet, and nobody appreciates that fact more than I do. I feel I've been given a second chance and I won't squander it. I've never seen anyone sledding with a bike helmet on before but my wife has already bought them for the kids. (Have to be oversized to fit over the hats). It's terrible lesson we've had but maybe something good will come of it... If someone else is convinced to make their kids wear a bike helmet while sledding.

I'm thinking of getting some signs made up and posted at popular sledding areas suggesting protective helmets. (We're getting the kids goggles too btw)
                        I know you all think of me as the boogie man but I just had tell it the way I saw it I am so happy that every thing has turned out fine by the grace of God but it does not alter the fact that it may have been different and we all have to face up to our responsibilities and admit when we have done wrong I have made some terrible mistakes in my life time and had to face up to them its all vary well to sympathise but the only way to learn is for someone to point out your mistakes as our parents pointed out when we were growing up

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                          I know you all think of me as the boogie man but I just had tell it the way I saw it I am so happy that every thing has turned out fine by the grace of God but it does not alter the fact that it may have been different and we all have to face up to our responsibilities and admit when we have done wrong I have made some terrible mistakes in my life time and had to face up to them its all vary well to sympathise but the only way to learn is for someone to point out your mistakes as our parents pointed out when we were growing up

Tony
                          Tony, you're missing the point here. We and by that I mean everyone I know does not wear a helmet when snowboarding, sledding. We either apply such safety gear from experience or from safety campaigns. The things you said were out of line and uncalled for because since wearing a helmet was not an accepted practice it was not neglectful. There was no ignoring of accepted safety practice, no neglect. Furthermore even if wearing a helmet, plowing into a tree could easily result in a broken neck or crushed chest and internal bleeding. would you say the same things to parents who do not dress their children in full body armor and avoid all terrain with trees? Geno may not have taken offense to your comments but I did, some accidents are unavoidable unless you just stay home. Hindesight is a great thing usually reserved for others who are not present when life happens. Frank

Comment

Geno, I'm glad to hear the kid's going to be ok. I'm sure you've been through a horrible scare. Fortunately everything came out ok. As a kid, I was in a pretty bad sledding accident. I still remember the horror in the adult's eyes. Kids get into trouble quickly. I can't imagine what fresh hell that put you through. You did nothing wrong from what I can tell. In fact, I think your response is pretty darn good! Helmets while sledding probably is a good idea. We can't stop kids from getting hurt, but we can improve their odds.
                            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                            X