X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ban The Apple!

No, I'm not referring to the fruit but rather the electronic Apple products! I have spent thousands over the years providing my daughters with ipods, ipads and now iphones, ENOUGH!!!I get it, if we are willing to constantly spend enough money we can stay connected and have all the graphics and conversations we desire. I think it's gone too far and here's why. Today I dropped my old LG VX8300 cell phone. I had many years of dependable service with this phone, but the screen got broken and fixing it was not an option. The salesman at the Verizon store showed me the replacement options closest to what I had and the ones that did not look like total junk would have cost me more than the iphone! I thought about going onto Ebay and buying the same model phone I broke, but with a elderly Mom , Wife with all sorts of health concerns and daughters away at college I decided to get the new phone and possibly shop around later, I don't want to sound like the old timer cursing at the new horseless carriage making noise. I just think these greater options and conveniences are costing us too much.

I know most of you don't share my upset and that's understandable. I am after all a mean Dad.
    I remember battling with my wife over when to allow my daughters to have a cell phone way back when. I think we settled on twelve years of age as reasonable, if you tried that now your kid would have you in jail on abuse charges. Now I hear Apple is coming out with iTV, whatever that is?
    How about making me an iDad? Just wire me up so the kids can play music and watch videos on my new hi res screen, they might actually think I'm cool.

Re: Ban The Apple!

From my point of view, anyone who doesn't need those electronic gadgets for the purpose of earning a living has absolutely no room to complain about how tight money is. I have yet to purchase a cell phone and my world has not come to a screaching halt nor do I expect it too.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      From my point of view, anyone who doesn't need those electronic gadgets for the purpose of earning a living has absolutely no room to complain about how tight money is. I have yet to purchase a cell phone and my world has not come to a screaching halt nor do I expect it too.
      Dave, I lived without those gadgets for most of my life but over the year some of them have proven very useful. Keeping in touch with our children no matter how old they are is a good thing. I was food shopping a couple of years ago when my teenage daughter called to say a man rang the door bell and then peeked and banged on our window. I raced home and confronted the guy at a neighbors property. Turned out he was just stupid, but I was able to get there before the cops. There have been the flat tire calls and other situations where the cell phone was a very good thing to have. I offer no argument that social pressures account for overextending our finances to spoil our children with more and more electronic crap. We are wasteful and we do complain when we are responsible for our situations. In part we don't want our children to be the only ones who don't have these things, and we also don't want them to be clueless as to how they all function. The quicker they learn to use a laptop the better they will do using one for high school or college. Speaking just for myself, I would glady trade my ipod, dvd player, laptop and cell phone, digital camera and other electronics for a boat, gun, hunting buddy and some wildlife be they gators, snakes, or hogs. I am not enjoying this life and the electronics do not take the place of living an active life in nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I am not enjoying this life and the electronics do not take the place of living an active life in nature.
        I just got off the phone with my mom, and she was telling me when her and my father eloped, they came home with $.17 in their pocket to start their new life together. Tonight was one of those phone calls in where she just wanted to talk about the past and how things were in life and our family. I'm only 39, but I liked life much better when it was simple, and people actually loved their country instead of trying to tear it down. I never in my life seen so much animosity, anger, and rage...and it's only going to get worse. My wife and i have been trying for almost a year now for a child, and I ask myself "why would I want to bring a child into this world with all of these terrible things going on?".

As for the gadgets...I just need a cell phone and I will get an i-pad because it will make my business better with the way I can operate. As much as the 99% supposedly moan and groan about the 1%, they sure as heck don't think about that when they are standing in line shelling out hundreds of dollars for something they supposedly despise corporate wise.

But the problem with cell phones, i-pads, texting etc...is that the younger generation has a much harder time having face to face conversations, because they don't know how to do so properly. I shake my head when I see teenagers sitting right next to each other not saying a word...but yet they are texting each other...wtf?

As much as I do enjoy some of the things in my generation, I honestly wish I grew up with my parents generation in where life was simple to understand, and greed wasn't the number 1 priority in life.

Comment

and neither do i
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Sorry, but this thread make me laugh.

But not for reasons that seem immediately obvious!

When it came to technology, my grandparents were truely a tale of two cities between them. My grandfather prefered to stick with what worked, where my grandmother was always into the latest and greatest. My grandpa was happy with the rotory phones and his old studabaker (I'm not even going to begin to try to spell it right.) However my grandma once said, "I will never know why people like antique cars! They were junk back then, and they are still junk now!" Heck, she believes that Skype and smartphones are God's heaven-sent gifts to keep in touch with the rest of the family. She always gets thrilled with a cousin of mine when he rolls in with his IPad, since it has a nice large touchscreen and simple controls, making it easy for her to control.

Come on guys, if my 80+ year old Grandmother can get into smartphones and such, I like to believe you guys can handle it too.
            Oh and keep in mind, this is a woman that once had to push-start a fully loaded said studebaker uphill from behind, while my grandpa was in the driver seat to operate the clutch and ignition.
            Last edited by tailgunner; 03-08-2012, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              I just got off the phone with my mom, and she was telling me when her and my father eloped, they came home with $.17 in their pocket to start their new life together. Tonight was one of those phone calls in where she just wanted to talk about the past and how things were in life and our family. I'm only 39, but I liked life much better when it was simple, and people actually loved their country instead of trying to tear it down. I never in my life seen so much animosity, anger, and rage...and it's only going to get worse. My wife and i have been trying for almost a year now for a child, and I ask myself "why would I want to bring a child into this world with all of these terrible things going on?".

As for the gadgets...I just need a cell phone and I will get an i-pad because it will make my business better with the way I can operate. As much as the 99% supposedly moan and groan about the 1%, they sure as heck don't think about that when they are standing in line shelling out hundreds of dollars for something they supposedly despise corporate wise.

But the problem with cell phones, i-pads, texting etc...is that the younger generation has a much harder time having face to face conversations, because they don't know how to do so properly. I shake my head when I see teenagers sitting right next to each other not saying a word...but yet they are texting each other...wtf?

As much as I do enjoy some of the things in my generation, I honestly wish I grew up with my parents generation in where life was simple to understand, and greed wasn't the number 1 priority in life.
              Flux, there has always been upset in the world, every generation knows it's own unique events both good and bad. Accept that this is your chance at life. You were driven enough to serve your country , learn a trade and open your heart to marriage. You and your wife have the love and desire to share your lives with a child. The opportunity to put forth into society a good person to make up for some of the bad ones who were not raised with love, discipline and values. Stop thinking the world is a bad place, it is a miracle so is your life so make the most of it!

I am a little critical of the younger generation texting more than verbally communicatiing. It disturbs me, but I'm reminded of the critism my generation got. Guys with long hair who were insulted for looking like girls, micro mini skirts that left little to imigination of prudish older folks, and so much more they found fault with to mention. Trust me, those young folks texting will learn to converse verbally. They will probably have a lot of painful thumb problems when they get older and curse all those silly texts!

There's an old movie "The Best Years of Our Lives" sure worth a look as it shows the difficulties facing returning WWII servicemen. Flux, these are the best years of your life! Honestly believe things are not that bad, that any child would be lucky to have you and your wife as parents. Now stop typing and go make that baby!!!! Frank

Comment

I make a living making new technology work for people. Tablets, smartphones, cameras etc. In my opinion, these are all great new things that can liberate the workforce and improve quality of life. If you can do what you need on your device from home and spend more time with family, that is a gift. It's all in how you use the new technology. There will always be misuse of new technology. When you have people texting while driving, this will lead to devastating results. All technology must be employed with care and caution. Parents can't warn their kids enough about when to put the cell phone away!

Just one quick point. We're not the first generation to run up against unbridled greed. Remember the great depression? WE LET history repeat itself.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I guess it is time for me to chime in. First, let me give a little background--In a few months I will be 80. My wife is 81. We live in the boonies--40 miles from a town of any size(5500). My wife has an Ipad2 (she gave me her original Ipad). I have a Macbook Pro, an Imac, and the Ipad. We don't have a cell phone--can't get service where I live. We do have Onstar in the car. We use Skype, shop a lot on the internet and call the kids from Onstar if we are traveling. I grew up in the days when we didn't have these things (Heck, we didn't have TV) We had cars that you froze in in the winter and sweat a lot in the summer. We had furnaces that you had to shovel coal in, outhouses, hand pumps on the well, and a lot of other "modern" conveniences. Do I want to go back? NO WAY!!! I believe in staying current and I look for the opportunity, not the alternative. What you do is entirely up to you, but as for me, I will continue to enjoy life to the fullest and I will continue to use every modern development that I can afford.

Comment

Cell Phone Karma
                    26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                      I guess it is time for me to chime in. First, let me give a little background--In a few months I will be 80. My wife is 81. We live in the boonies--40 miles from a town of any size(5500). My wife has an Ipad2 (she gave me her original Ipad). I have a Macbook Pro, an Imac, and the Ipad. We don't have a cell phone--can't get service where I live. We do have Onstar in the car. We use Skype, shop a lot on the internet and call the kids from Onstar if we are traveling. I grew up in the days when we didn't have these things (Heck, we didn't have TV) We had cars that you froze in in the winter and sweat a lot in the summer. We had furnaces that you had to shovel coal in, outhouses, hand pumps on the well, and a lot of other "modern" conveniences. Do I want to go back? NO WAY!!! I believe in staying current and I look for the opportunity, not the alternative. What you do is entirely up to you, but as for me, I will continue to enjoy life to the fullest and I will continue to use every modern development that I can afford.
                      Kid, I use the technology for my pleasure and it helps pass the time. I can burn my own CD's, download music videos to my Ipod and recently I figured out how to burn Youtube videos to a DVD so I can watch them on my DVD player at the gym. All of this stuff is fun, but at what cost monetarily and socially? We spend an awful lot of money on this stuff, over and over again. I personally enjoy what I can do with all of it but would rather be doing something real, something outdoors. I am not doing that because of family situations so all the electronics while entertaining is part of my overall frustration. Maybe it's just me but I think kids could do without some of this stuff and some young folks would be better off exercising and socializing than playing with electronics. I'd love to see folks give the headphones and electronics a day or two off every week and actually walk up to folks, shake their hands and talk, throw a ball with their kid, or ride a bike.
                      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 03-08-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Kid, I use the technology for my pleasure and it helps pass the time. I can burn my own CD's, download music videos to my Ipod and recently I figured out how to burn Youtube videos to a DVD so I can watch them on my DVD player at the gym. All of this stuff is fun, but at what cost monetarily and socially? We spend an awful lot of money on this stuff, over and over again. I personally enjoy what I can do with all of it but would rather be doing something real, something outdoors. I am not doing that because of family situations so all the electronics while entertaining is part of my overall frustration. Maybe it's just me but I think kids could do without some of this stuff and some young folks would be better off exercising and socializing than playing with electronics. I'd love to see folks give the headphones and electronics a day or two off every week and actually walk up to folks, shake their hands and talk, throw a ball with their kid, or ride a bike.
                        What's stopping you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                          What's stopping you?
                          Several things. I promised my Dad before he passed away that I would take care of my Mother who is alone and in her late eighties. My wife won't leave the area because her elderly father has dementia and alzheimers, and she takes care of his home, finances and many other things. My desire is to live much further south, possibly closer to the ocean and definitely near wildlife not found here in CT. Twenty years ago you catch a fish off the dock at our beach, now you would just be wasting money, bait and time. I'm bored here, most of the time it looks like a still life painting outside my window, but determined to be a good son and husband. I'm not looking to wrestle gators but it sure would be nice to be closer to some real wildlife. Frank

Comment

Nice find EJ, but these are better!

Goes to show just how rude those things can be in uncouth hands!
                            Last edited by tailgunner; 03-08-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Funny subject!

We all look at these things in different ways I suppose; but I find it rather amusing the perceptions that people have and then the complaints that go along with it. I have a relative, that has to have everything TECH. Satilite radios in both cars, three rooms in the house, everything is WiFi'd, instant movie downloads, all channels, four laptops, 2 Ipads, a couple of notepads, constant phone upgrades to have the very latest, etc., etc., etc.

All neat stuff... and everything adds more and more to the family debt and to the worry over how to pay for it. The poor guy has two jobs and barely has more than a few free hours a week. He once was a guy who you could sit down with and converse for hours.... now, you can barely talk to him as he doesn't have time and if you do get together for a visit, his idea of conversation is to show you his latest electronic device.

I see people walking or riding or dining together and appear bored with their companion because either one or both are on their cell phones.

I've always been a "tech" kind of guy, having bought my first computer in 1979 and having owned and updated every four years or so since. Every computer was not only fun, but also a tool to make money with and they were a great augment to my skills. But, I also read a lot, enjoy history, the outdoors, art, driving, and of course my amateur radio hobby and woodworking. I'm not locked in or dependant on any of them though.

I do have a cell phone... it's just one of those that is small, and you can talk or text on it, that is all I need. It's a "Go" phone and I buy $100's a year... and I have a problem, at the end of a five-year period I am finding myself desperate to use up enough time so that I can add "time" to it. (There's a maximum of $500 credit.) I guess, I just am not important enough to keep constantly in touch with the world, relatives, friends, acquaintances, etc. (I have this thing against wearing a "cow bell", so I guess I don't want to be constantly answering the thing either.

But, to each his own.... just don't complain about how hard it is to pay for all of that. Once in a while it's a good thing to simply unplug, get out of the car, and walk and listen to the natural world around you or..... just talk to your loved ones and look into their face while doing so.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X