Scamming the Elderly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scamming the Elderly

Earlier this week my good friend Adam (drtyhands) called to warn me he had an elderly client get scammed out of a bunch of money over the phone. It was the old grandpa/grandma phone call scam. The way the scam works is a person calls around until an elderly person answers. When they get an elderly person to answer the say “grandpa/grandma is that you?” The elderly person general responds with “yes it’s me, who is this”. The caller then says, “don’t you recognize my voice?” The elderly person will say is this “XXXX” and the hook is set. From there, there is a story about the grandson being arrested out of Country and needing money wired right away. I told Adam I was aware of the scam and it has been around for a long time. We discussed what type of low life it would take to scam the elderly and agreed they should be shot.

Fast forward two days later, my son-in-law Larry stops by Brenda’s parent’s house to troubleshoot their sprinkler timer. When Brenda’s mom opens the door she falls back on the staircase behind her and her dad starts stammering. They explained to Larry they had just returned from a Western Union where they wired Larry $3,000. After the hook was set, the caller claiming to be their grandson "Larry" claimed he was in Panama and had a car accident. He said his wife was in the hospital and he was in jail because he was driving drunk. When my mother-in-law asked about their kids she was told they didn’t know where the kids were. He needed the money wired right away to pay his fine and asked they not tell anyone because he was so embarrassed. They took their emergency money from their safe and rushed right over to Western Union.

All of the warnings were there yet they sent the money anyways. Larry does not drink so he would not have had an accident while driving drunk. Larry is not their grandson; he is married to their granddaughter (our daughter, Jana). Larry had talked to them the day before saying he was at a Union meeting in Irvine (70-miles away) but would come by the next morning. Last but not least, Larry would have called Brenda and I before anyone else. Still they fell for the scammer because the scammers are that good.

So the bad news is they wired $3,000 to some stranger claiming to be Larry. The good news is when the caller called back to confirm the money was wired and to get the routing number, my father-in-law handed the phone to Larry. Because the slime ball never got the routing number, my in-laws were able to get the money back.

Rule number one, protect our elderly. Rule number two seems to be anything sent Western Union is a bad idea because it is likely to be a scam.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-10-2012, 02:11 AM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Scamming the Elderly

WOW!!! Glad they got their money back, hard to believe there are such good liars out there.

Comment

one of My customers is a ww vet 91 years. He's still sharp as a tack. He said why don't You ask Your father for the Money ?? He is estranged from His Son !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Mark, the identical thing happened to my neighbors. They wired money to FL, but were able to cancel it at the last minute. Same grandma it's me routine and of course grandma responds with the "childs" name. The scam works often enough to keep it alive. I recently saw a program about the jamaican lottery scam where they call you to say you've won a lottery and just need to pay the taxes up front. Once you send some money they continue to request more and if you decline the threaten violence. People pay because they are afraid. Even the detective investigating the scam received threatening phone calls. People often get caught off guard because the scammers put as much effort into what they do as good folks who work real jobs. So many scams like the "mystery shoppers", stuffing envelopes at home. Many can be found in help wanted or business opportunity sections of our newspapers. Good thread. Frank

Comment

Scamming the Elderly...
          Some people really need to be fed feet-first into a wood chipper.
          A very slow wood chipper.
          With dull blades.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
            Some people really need to be fed feet-first into a wood chipper.
            A very slow wood chipper.
            With dull blades.
            Do it publically to set the tone and reduce prison costs! Seriously, what's the big deterrent for bad behavior now? Prisons are filled to capacity so whatever it is, is not working! Make sure to feed that wood chipper with a mix of white collar criminals and violent offenders.
            I get mad just thinking about crime and punishment. Lethal injection is a kind way to die, I should be so lucky.

Comment

Make sure the chipper is made in the USA. We don't want it quitting half way through!

Comment

Working...
              X