Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing carpet with hardwood treads question...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing carpet with hardwood treads question...

I am tearing out the carpet on my stairs and replacing them with red oak treads. The existing tread under the carpet is a real one inch. The replacement treads are 3/4 inch. Can I simply remove the existing treads with the new and the 3/4 treads are sufficient to support the step or should I glue over the existing treads?

Re: Replacing carpet with hardwood treads question...

i would say yes based on the 3/4'' oak being a hardwood. remember that you also have the support of the 2x? stringers and the new red oak risers that would also help support the leading edge of the tread.

what is the center to center distance for the stringers?

do you plan on carrying a safe up the steps with a 2 wheel dolly?

are you using more than a pinner to nail the treads in? hopefully a 10p finish nail. not sure if even a 15 gauge nail gun is sufficient/ legal. but some construction adhesive would sure help.

but remember that i'm only a plumber and as long as my 120# stair climbing dolly can go up and down with a 250# heater and 210# plumber i'm fine with it

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The real problem here is not the strength of the treads--it is the changing of the rise. If you use only the 3/4" tread one step is going to be 1/4 to 3/8" (I'll bet the old treads are 1 1/8") less or more than the others. (rise) If you go over the top one will be 3/4" different. That could easily cause a trip and fall. If you replace the existing, I strongly recommend "fillers" to even out the rise.

Comment

I have done lots of steps i would not go over the existing tread the 3/4 is plenty on its own. also i would not nail the new treads down. I use pl adhesive with a good wood screw you can buy a piece of red oak and buy a plug cutter to fill the screw holes. this will provide more strength to the treads and the adhesive will eliminate squeaking hope this helps cheers.

Comment

Today i read this topic and i want to ask that a i have carpet with hardwood three month ago i bought it and now i want to ask that it seems so ugly and show stains on it i want it's cleaning but i don't know any good cleaner if anyone know here good cleaner than contact here back....??

Comment

Working...
          X