Learning Bucket List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Learning Bucket List

BHD, for the record your accomplishments are more impressive when you consider you didn't just write a check to get what you have! I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I change brakes, do a routine plumbing repair, or some other minor things around my house. I can't imagine completing things on the level you have done over the years. The tatoo artist who did my tatoo, not only taught himself to play Bluegrass, he also builds instruments, custom builds cars and was written up in our newspaper for building an airplane in his garage! There are folks who take ingenuity, various skills and a can do attitude and run with it, I guess you are that kind of person.

I grew up living in apartments, my Dad was a hardworking guy but owned few tools and had no place to tinker. I learned about working on cars and trucks, and things like sheetrocking, plumbing, carpenty and electrical as an adult. Much as I respect highly educated people, the ability to keep your slice of life running well without much outside help is impressive. I know many adults who have absolutely no skills or desire to fabricate or repair things. They are totally dependant on others for all their needs. The only thing in their garages are cars!

I think one of the things I like about this Forum is reading posts by guys like yourself, Rick and others who have a wide array of knowledge and skills I admire. Doc is a wealth of information and generous to share with the Forum. You guys would have a good laugh to know that I'm sort of the go to guy for many of my neighbors when they have a problem or question with their house, car or small engine. My wealthy brother inlaw still thinks I'm foolish to have so many tools and supplies, but I figure better to have them and not need them than the other way around. Frank

Comment

Had a nice day weather wise, and was able to get the top section on the tower, I have one more need of the Jin pole, need to raise it one more time and lift and set the mast up and place it in the tower,

pictures are of the last section going up, today, and I think the first is it complete, and the other are of the raising of it and setting it,
      Attached Files
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You guys leave quite a nice impression. Here am I going back and forth in my head about whether I should add a shop to the side of my garage, with a second floor and whether or not I'm really up to it at almost 68 years old. I'm thinking its more than I can physically or mentally have the ambition for and even whether or not I can get back the ROI in whatever years I have left in me.

Then I go and see something like you fellows have done or plan to do and I'm thinking like just WOW!. I am impressed, for sure.

I've done a lot of things in my life, most of which I'm pretty proud of. But seeing BHD's work and being a long admirer of his (and many other member's) posts and the experience and ambition behind his words, is quite humbling for me. My work has been nothing nearly as tangible as these things.

Thanks for the great deeds and postings,

CWS

Comment

Of all the things I teach kids to do, I think I like teaching welding more than any of them. There is a moment when everything comes together and all of a sudden they go from clumsy attempts to being the master of fire. Once they can see and understand what is happening, everything changes. Welding is not particularly difficult to learn, it just takes practice and a willingness to make adjustments when they are needed.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            one of the things I am working on is wind turbines the blades and internal design, the electronic and safety mechanisms, and then hope to design or copy a design and build my own,
            Wow ,Impressive! You are having too much fun. GREAT set of hands
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              the first picture is of the freshly poured foundation for the tower,

the 2ed and third is of the cable roller I designed and made for rolling up the bridge cables that were on the tower originally, there was over a mile of cable and ranged from 7/16" to 1 inch in diameter, some of the sections were close to 500" long, (my son had the contractor for the scrap steel), some one else took down the tower,

4th is of the footer for the foundation,

5th is for the anchors for the guy wires/cable

6th is setting and pouring the guys,

and 7th is of the foundation with the re-bar and the bolts aligned and ready to pour the concrete,
              You and Carie{ S. Berry ,Weld Talk ] Must be Cousins. That's the biggest compliment I can give a tradesman!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

THAT'S IT! Frank, I.ll meet You at The BHD Ranch,. We can shack in My 33 ft. Motor Home. I'll tow the Lincoln Welder , Plenty of tools ,and welding leathers for You.
                Tell Mom n the Girls they,re on their own for 6 months. You'll go home a welder!
                Unless You want to head to the Alberta sands project and weld for a year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  THAT'S IT! Frank, I.ll meet You at The BHD Ranch,. We can shack in My 33 ft. Motor Home. I'll tow the Lincoln Welder , Plenty of tools ,and welding leathers for You.
                  Tell Mom n the Girls they,re on their own for 6 months. You'll go home a welder!
                  Unless You want to head to the Alberta sands project and weld for a year or so.
                  Tool, if you had to put up with me in a 33ft motor home, I'd go home in a pine box Your offer did get me thinking how rewarding it would be to learn from you and be around BHD and his ranch. Maybe if I hit the lotto, then we could afford separate motor homes. These days I'm good for about an hours worth of hard work, I could never keep up with you and BHD. Thanks for the thoughts but this man knows his limitations. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Tool, if you had to put up with me in a 33ft motor home, I'd go home in a pine box Your offer did get me thinking how rewarding it would be to learn from you and be around BHD and his ranch. Maybe if I hit the lotto, then we could afford separate motor homes. These days I'm good for about an hours worth of hard work, I could never keep up with you and BHD. Thanks for the thoughts but this man knows his limitations. Frank
                    Now You're breakin My Heart! When I hit the Lotto, I'll go to the dollar store and Blow their Mind

Comment

Think of limits as a "Finish Line". Ever notice how the athletes keep running together once they past it? No one is asking you to keep up, you are asked to join them.

Look, If I can be asked to travel to WTF-itsan, you can make this simple trip, hell get the wife involved.

Comment

Tailgunner, in spite of our limited knowledge of eachother I've often given, and accepted advice in the truly good spirit with which it is meant. There are so many complications in our lives that unless we better understand eachother, it's difficult to imagine what the other person is dealing with in day to day. My wife is a breast cancer survivor, and has regular m.r.i. testing which often leads to m.r.i. biopsies. She is scheduled for such a grueling procedure soon which will hopefully rule out a return of the cancer. She also works full time to support our daughter in college. I take care of our house, and my father inlaws three family house where he lives with round the clock caregivers. He has dementia/alzheimers. Last week I changed a lockset, spring loaded door hinge, kitchen faucet and had to move a two hundred pound propane tank so his house would pass a fire inspection. I also take my 87yr old mom who has wet and dry macular degeneration.

When I wrote this thread I was and still am very serious. Learning to identify and weld different metals would be a wonderful skill to learn. Right now this is where I need to be, and if there was a vocational school nearby I would look into taking classes. It's a shame that the only such school in a very large area of several cities has been closed. Frustrated old guys like me have no place to learn skills like welding, but more importantly young men and women are left out.

I mentioned the lotto thing because money is a concern for us, but good health is priceless for the enjoyment of life and peace of mind it brings. The future is not yet written, so who knows? Maybe someday I'll learn to weld and meet some of you good guys. thanks, Frank

Comment

One of the things that often finds me envious of other people is their ability to just pickup and head off to new ventures, experiences, etc. For whatever reason, that has never worked for me. There is, and always has been, some "anchor" that restrains me. Perhaps some of that is just a sense that I need to be "here", wherever that "here" might be. Whether it's the job, the family, the friend, or something just imagined... there has always been that sense within myself that I have a responsibility of some sort that just keeps me "here"!

Sometimes I feel damned by that influence. My dream would just be able to pickup and take-off to find new things, new horizons, see new country, and find new friends or just meet new people... but there is always this feeling of responsibility that I cannot do these things, that I absolutely have to stay where I am.

So Franki, that seems to be a situation that you are also in. Very difficult, I know, and by your description you have far more responsibilities than I do; so I well know the restraints that you feel. Still, look around and see what avenues might be available. Sometimes BOCES or a local community college or high school night classes offer things, but all too often class rooms, instructors, and massive budget restraints have increasingly diminished this type of instruction. Have you looked at private concerns, perhaps even guys in the business who might have some spare time to show you. At our age, I doubt that we would be looked at from a "competition" point of view, but of course their time and attitude may well be limited too. I do have a couple of guys in my area who know how, but only do it part time... that might be the kind of person who could give you some instructions or at least tips. Then there is always the self-education perspective. There's probably a number of books on the subject and basic equipment doesn't appear to cost all that much. Though I really don't know anything about the basics of what to buy; but that is what forums are for. The other possible avenue is simply the welding supply houses... how much help could you get there, as a novice who is interested in that?

Point I guess is that I understand your position and can relate to it. So guys like us have to find a path that fits our situation.

CWS
                          Last edited by CWSmith; 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

CWS, you expressed a lot of what I'm feeling. Strange how frustrated I feel most nights, stuck watching tv or on the Internet but thinking I should be somewhere else actually doing something! I think life is short and I'm not where I want to be but at the same time I love and care for my wife. Today brought another situation, she has a frozen shoulder, so this afternoon it's off to the doctor. She has stuck by me for years with my medical problems, and I can't imagine not being here for her. I see life as more of a compromise than sacrifice and it's that mindset that keeps me going. I don't want to be that guy who turned his back on his wife and family to satisfy his urges , I strive to be more than my instincts. I don't know how things will play out, but it's more important for me to be able to look at myself in the mirror than chase my dreams. There are shops in my area that do welding, that could be something to explore. Thanks for the support and advice. I appreciate the concern and suggestions, makes me feel like I'm not alone. Frank

Comment

Frank,

Nice thing about the world we live in today, especially with all the ways there are to keep in touch with both friends and strangers... It is damn difficult to be alone, unless you just turn-off everything.

I know a few days ago I was going all sour on what a pest all these electronic devices are, but you have to admit that it's one very nice way to make friends and keep in touch them. How strange it all proves to be that guys like you and I can have our differences and yet still find ourselves so many similarities of thought and challenges.

That's how I feel about a lot of people in the world that I might otherwise be pushed to differ with. That's how I find it a mystery sometimes to hate a guy in some country that I only know from the politics or the religion that gets pushed on us through others. It makes little difference as to the politics or the religion sometimes. When you get right down to the things we want, feel, love, hate, and just wonder about... you find some very significant similarities.

Bottom line is that we are all too much alike in many ways and especially too much alike to feel we are alone in a situation. This is a forum of great people; different sometimes to the point of argument, but alike in such ways that we can feel and understand the frustrations that we all face from time to time.

For me, and obviously for you and for so many of us here, honor and responsibility is a great burden, but also one which we can take pride in knowing that we've lived up to it. Finding the way with the help of friends who offer an understanding is a "good thing".

CWS

Comment

CWS, agreed! I believe we also share many things with people in other countries and cultures. I often speak negatively about communist china, but I have no hatred for the people. I understand they are individuals trying to survive and experience life the best they can. How accurate are the sterotypes we are presented by the media? There may be some truth to the brutality of certain cultures but for the most part even within such situations there are decent people.

I am very thankful for these electronic devices which allow us to communicate, argue, share, offer comfort and reach beyond our physical surroundings. I am very appreciative for this forum and the people who monitor and participate. I have enjoyed the interaction, grown from the controversy and benefitted from knowledgeable people willing to share. We are a generation participating in a social breakthrough thanks to electronics. I am still disturbed by the financial implications of all these things, but readily admit their value. Frank

Comment

Working...
                                X