X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Bucket List

The last few posts on the "ban the apple" thread got me thinking about things I still wanted to learn. I'm always trying to learn more about staying healthy and preventing illness, but there are some things that must be learned first hand. Specifically, I've wanted to learn about welding for years. I remember taking several of my telepohne construction trucks to a shop where the mechanic would stick weld supports, brackets and fix whatever got broken. Years of watching truck and motorcycle programs where all sorts of welding was done kept my interest alive. Unfortunatley at my age I'm not a candidate to work at a shop to learn and there are no tech or vocational schools around. Money is a concern or else I would have bought a low end wire feed rig and tried to wing it.
    I have a buddy whose dad was a welder in the navy and worked in the trade for forty plus years. He never wanted his son to learn the trade and that's a shame because he was interested.
    Just curious if there are skills outside your specific trades you would like to adopt? I know from some family members and friends that working side by side with other tradesmen often allows you to learn some of what they do. Frank

Re: Learning Bucket List

Baritone Ukulele.

Disclaimer: If you associate the ukulele strictly with the Hawaiian sound or Tiny Tim, you haven't a clue what the baritone uke is all about.

My fingers are big, and as they get older I find it increasingly difficult to make clean chords on a six-string or my beloved twelve-string. So it's time to switch up to a baritone uke, tenor guitar, or start playing banjo again. After handling a Greg Bennett baritone uke and watching some amazing YouTube vids of the baritone in action, that's where I'm headed.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Well, I just learned something I never knew, thanks Doc! I watched this video on Youtube about the baritone uke, looks like a small guitar, nice sound and plenty of room between the strings. Best of luck. Frank

Comment

If you really want to see a baritone uke in action, check out Jake Shimabukuro, who is the absolute best uke player I've ever seen.
        The following is a six minute video, but well worth every second...

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
          If you really want to see a baritone uke in action, check out Jake Shimabukuro, who is the absolute best uke player I've ever seen.
          The following is a six minute video, but well worth every second...

Wow! Simply amazing, his level of skill, the sounds he was able to produce from that instrument were remarkable. Why is he not on national tv with such talent? The sound was clean and crisp, but he took that instrument to another level.

Doc, I don't understand people! When my younger daughter was eight or nine she wanted to play the violin, so we rented one and she took some classes in school but quickly lost interest. She was just not willing to put in the time and effort, unlike our chinese neighbor who practiced every day and took private lessons on the weekends. This kid became a state champion, but gave it up in college because he said it wasn't cool. How can you just let all that work and accomplishment go to waste? I don't get it

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            ... he said it wasn't cool. How can you just let all that work and accomplishment go to waste? I don't get it
            You just explained it. It wasn't 'cool'.
            I did the same thing... years of piano lessons given up in my early teens, simply because it wasn't cool. Now, almost 40 years later, I couldn't play piano if a gun were held to my head. Kinda wish someone had held a gun to my head back when I decided to quit.

Comment

one of the things I am working on is wind turbines the blades and internal design, the electronic and safety mechanisms, and then hope to design or copy a design and build my own,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                one of the things I am working on is wind turbines the blades and internal design, the electronic and safety mechanisms, and then hope to design or copy a design and build my own,
                That sounds like a great project, not only to learn from but to be rewarded from when completed. I remember seeing a vertical design somewhere, very different from what we are used to seeing and in my opinion much more difficult to duplicate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24LSn...293&feature=iv
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

what I am hoping to build is a little more robust that the video and more in line with what I would consider a real power producing turbine,

all I have so far is the tower, and not 100% done with it, but it is the part that I had access to and so that is where I started, to start with I am going 70 feet up, and could extend it later to 90 or 110 and even have 40 more foot of tower, beyond that, but for now 70 feet is going to be my test bed and experimental height,

here is some of the project and projects so far,

I think this is the way the pictures are layed out below,

the rooster head on the Jin pole,

raising the first 40 foot with the fork lift,

the winches I built, (they are powered with a heavy duty electric drill) that way I can gage the lift and if some thing catches can respond instantly, will probably in time use hydraulic motors for when there used for some thing else, they are made out of wheel drive boxes for a center pivot sprinkler,
                  the lower one is to lift with and the upper is to raise the Jin pole and lower it,

the next is the Jin pole it self, made out of 6" pipe,

and the last is a picture with the Jin pole extended ready for the next tower section,
                  Attached Files
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

below are some pictures of lifting the second section, and the addition of the ladders, the original "ladder" was small pieces welded to the diagonal supports of the tower and the step was 24" to much for my old knees, I mostly climb it from inside the tower, currently, in one of the pictures one can see the top section on the ground, I wanted a platform to work off of, and the final mast will lower into the tower to lower the turbine to the platform for maintenance or changes,

the first picture is with the third section of the tower bolted in place, and the last if one looks close the tower seciton is hanging waiting to be lowered and bolted in place,
                    the second picture is of the secion and the ladder section I added, the third is of the top section and the platform, the 4th is looking up the ladder, and 5th is starting to lift the third section off the ground,
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BHD; 03-26-2012, 07:33 PM.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

the first picture is of the freshly poured foundation for the tower,

the 2ed and third is of the cable roller I designed and made for rolling up the bridge cables that were on the tower originally, there was over a mile of cable and ranged from 7/16" to 1 inch in diameter, some of the sections were close to 500" long, (my son had the contractor for the scrap steel), some one else took down the tower,

4th is of the footer for the foundation,

5th is for the anchors for the guy wires/cable

6th is setting and pouring the guys,

and 7th is of the foundation with the re-bar and the bolts aligned and ready to pour the concrete,
                      Attached Files
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I had to modify the top section, I tried a set lift and could not get it to balance out correctly so I ended up cutting a section of the platform off and rebuilding it so it hinged so the cable and the Jin pole can work the way it should be, (I tried a guide to guide the cable and the pole so it would not catch on the any thing but it was not going to work),

In the process to help dig the footers and anchors I made the back hoe attachment for the tractor,

and also go the welding truck put together, not really part of the tower or wind turbine but all that added to the process, and some of what took the time,

If you look at the picture dates you see this has not happened over night,

There is a lot of study and learning to safely raise a tower like this and to do it, and collecting the information is not the easiest either,

so here is some of my bucket list and things I want to learn and do, Frank thanks for the post to begin with,
                        Attached Files
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I could so live on that property BHD.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            I could so live on that property BHD.
                            Flux, you read my mind! He has all the property, equipment, essentials, know how, and most of all determination. All that didn't happen with a layback attitude. Very, very impressive. Frank

Comment

But for the record, a lot of what is there is a life time of accumulating and some of it was my fathers, a lot of what is there is custom made, out of scrap for the most part,
                              The back hoe 95% is scrap iron, yes the hydraulics were new, but all most all the steel was taken out of old farm machinery that my son picked up,
                              The tower was a old communications tower, originally 300 foot tall and it was a twin tower, it had about 30 communication dishes on it, before they replaced the unit,
                              The welding truck was given to me, as Junk, I repaired and repainted it and found the welder for a few hundred, and then found a cutting torch off of Ebay for about $30 and then found some gages and tanks, I actual got the O2 tank off of swap shop, for $25,

The majority of it is sweet equity,

The concrete for the foundation and the cable for the winches have been some of the bigger expenses, for the tower, the ladder was about 75% new iron,

The fork lift is 1952, When we brought home that fork lift the engine in it was in pieces, the mast was nearly shot and bearings missing, the seals leaked the lift chain need replaced, the 4 wheel drive was all broke up in the axles, (Colman 4 wheel drive) and had to be rebuilt, bought some military surplus tires for the front of the machine,
                              I took a engine off a piece of old farm equipment, (an old Chrysler Industrial 260 cu in) and had to design a new mounting system, for the hydraulic pump. replace the clutch, and rebuild the brakes and new brake booster,
                              we took the mast all apart and rebuilt it and had to straighten some of the parts on the lift, that holds the forks.
                              Last edited by BHD; 03-26-2012, 09:46 PM.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X