X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To you welders

Just bought 10 lbs of lincoln Excaliber 1/8" 7018. Reports on weld talk, "Very smooth running" My favorite rod is 7018 for most Mild steel applications . Unless it's Heavy equept. Will run it next week, and report How I like it,
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: To you welders

Been using 7018 for years now for finish welds. It flattens out nicely on the finish pass. Does not have the deep penetration that 6011 or 6013 give but I think you will be pleased with the results.
    sigpic

Comment

I prefer Hobart 418, but alot of guys like the Excalibur rod. It runs smooth, but re-strikes suck, all the flux likes to remove itself from the rod.

Comment

Was burning 7018 this morning welding and makeing some hinges for a platform that needs a section of it to swing up.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
          I prefer Hobart 418, but alot of guys like the Excalibur rod. It runs smooth, but re-strikes suck, all the flux likes to remove itself from the rod.
          Not good, I hate it when flux starts cracking! I have an LN 22 of My mobile rig. Nice way to go. In the union We used a lot of LN 7s ,structual steel
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i'm spoiled. i've been doing a lot more tig welding and staying away from arc and mig. takes much more eye, hand & hand and foot concentration than all the others.

but 7018 was always my favorite
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i'm spoiled. i've been doing a lot more tig welding and staying away from arc and mig. takes much more eye, hand & hand and foot concentration than all the others.

but 7018 was always my favorite
              That's Great You learned Tig Rick.
              I have always wanted to learn it. May be some day.

Comment

Oh come on Rick, Chimpanzee's can tig weld, it takes manly skill to burn rod
                sigpic

Comment

Well 2 weeks into my welding experience. My Miller 120/240v shoebox size welder is way neat.
                  I keep smoking holes right thru 1/8 " steel plates trying to practice....ANy suggestions of how ya work this little snotty Welder...

Using a 6016 stick I believe...

Comment

Originally posted by enric162 View Post
                    Well 2 weeks into my welding experience. My Miller 120/240v shoebox size welder is way neat.
                    I keep smoking holes right thru 1/8 " steel plates trying to practice....ANy suggestions of how ya work this little snotty Welder...

Angle, speed, distance my friend. Never heard of 6016, you sure it's not 6011 or 6013? Anyhoo them suitcase buzz boxes can be a hassle to get set right. If you are burning holes you need to turn the amps down, speed up or both
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by enric162 View Post

I'm guessing You mean 6011 AC current rod
                      or 6010 DC rod. You really should enroll in a high school ,or college welding class at night. Pictures posted will help. You may have an acquaintance that has stick welding experience. In little time I could get You into the swing of things. I would show You many little things right off You're doing wrong. I brace myself like a rock for good vertical Beads. Too much to learn on Your own, and You're learning Bad Habits You,ll need to dump. Good Luck, Tool

Comment

My son in law was working for a mill wright setting up a grain leg and they were up on the leg welding and they send the help down to the truck to get some more 6011 welding rod, the truck had 6011 and 6013 rod on the truck, any way after a long weight the kid yelled up and said all he could fine was some 1109 rod and could not find any 6011 there was some 6013 tho, I am not sure how much longer the kid was employed after that.
                        but after that the standing joke was get the 1109 rod,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was my welding job on Saturday, the top of the tower platform needed to be modified so it could be lifted by the jin pole and so I made a section of the platform hing up out of the way of the cable and the jin pole, not yet lifted up but soon to be,
                        Attached Files
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                        X