X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Running Welder off Ridgid 6800 watt

hello everyone, i'm new here and a new owner of a new ridgid 6800 watt generator i bought from home depot. So my problem is that the gfci breaker trips easily when running a 115/120 volt welder. Now i own a miller maxstar 150 stick/tig welder and a miller autoset 140 mig welder. My main reason for purchasing is because both these welders trip my 15 amp house breaker, both welders have a regular outlet you can plug in at home with. Both welders run off my home outlet, for some time probably about 20 seconds before the 15 amp house breaker trips. The miller autoset 140 mig can plug directly into the ridgid 6800 watt generator not problems, i can weld with it for minutes with out a problem, now the maxstar 150 stl on the other hand once plugged in immediately trips the breaker with out use, the machine is just on not welding. I talked to a miller rep today, he said the welder is fine and needs a 20 amp breaker, and said the reason it's tripping is because it's a gfci breaker even though it's rated at 20 amps it still trips it. so i'm curious if i can change the breakers? or if this is the end of the road for me running my maxstar 150 off this generator. it's weird to me because the mig welder can run off the generator fine but the stick tig welder, which weighs about 13 pounds compared to the mig 150lbs + cannot. I know the welders weight doesn't have much to do with it, the point i'm trying to make is the maxstar 150 is a newer more advanced machine thus weight less and being more efficient etc. any help would be nice, especially if anyone has had this happen to them or does currently operate a welder off this generator. thanks again.

Re: Problem Running Welder off Ridgid 6800 watt

most likely if the GFCI breaker is tripping it is because there is a some type of electrical leak in the welder, it is possible that the neutral and the ground is tied together, and it may be leaking back through the ground,

the GFCI measures the current going out and then coming back in and if it is not he same it trips,

and some GFCI breakers are not as stable with running at full amps, the first ones were bad in this way, the later units seemed to be much better,

15 amp breakers are necessary for 14 gage wire, 20 amp for 12 gage wire, (copper), do not put in a larger breaker if the wire is not capable of handing the amperage,

I know little about the generator, but I am sure one can replace it if one wants, if one can find a suitable replace ment, but your removing a valuable safety feature, but I would double check out the welder, and see if it is correctly wired, and that the ground and the neutral is not connected, providing it is the leak source, and it may be in the switch as it tripped before you turned it on, or the plug or cord,

The welder should not trip the breaker (GFCI or not), jsut by pluging it in,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

thanks for the response. Im going to try and run if off a 220 volt instead and get some kind of pigtail set up to run it. The welder has been used many other places without a problem, most likely non gfci breakers, the welder is probably trying to transform the 120 to 220 and causing the trip. the 220 is not a gfci, but now i'm wondering about it because i read on product description that it's supposed to have a 30 amp 220 and it only has a 20 amp 220.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
        thanks for the response. Im going to try and run if off a 220 volt instead and get some kind of pigtail set up to run it. The welder has been used many other places without a problem, most likely non gfci breakers, the welder is probably trying to transform the 120 to 220 and causing the trip. the 220 is not a gfci, but now i'm wondering about it because i read on product description that it's supposed to have a 30 amp 220 and it only has a 20 amp 220.
        before trying that I would see what the welder is wired for, if you put 220 into the welder and it is wired for 120 most likely some thing will fry,

most like there should be a wiring diagram near where the power cord enters the welder if it is dual voltage (may be insdie the welder if there is a plate to remove to get to the terminals),, or at least on the name plate it should say 120/240 volts and there should be to different amp ratings as well depending on the voltage,

I caution you not to go jsut pluging it in any were with out knowing what voltage it is desigened to take,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

apparently the power plug is the wiring point, and has special plugs for 120 and diffnret 240, http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/DC27-2.pdf
        Last edited by BHD; 03-29-2012, 09:48 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

apparently the power plug is the wiring point,
          I was going to mention that, but I see you found it BHD. That is a nice feature of the Millers, the ability to run off 120 if thats all you got available eeven if it is at reduced capacity.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

thanks guys for all your help. sunday will be the day i know something. like it's been stated the miller welder i have the maxstar 150 can be run on 120 or 240 and the welder automatically changes the voltage typically without a problem, i've used another maxstar 150 on the 120 plug and an hour later unscrewed the plug and connected a 240 volt plug and it ran just as well. i know the wiring for the welder is right otherwise i think there would have been an issue long ago. but like you said it's not wise to just jam your male end into some random female end without knowing the risks!

Comment

it's not wise to just jam your male end into some random female end without knowing the risks!

oh great, now you tell me........ oh well...
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

hello everyone, i'm new here and a new owner of a new ridgid 6800 watt generator i bought from home depot. So my problem is that the gfci breaker trips easily when running a 115/120 volt welder. Now i own a miller maxstar 150 stick/tig welder and a miller autoset 140 mig welder. My main reason for purchasing is because both these welders trip my 15 amp house breaker, both welders have a regular outlet you can plug in at home with. Both welders run off my home outlet, for some time probably about 20 seconds before the 15 amp house breaker trips. The miller autoset 140 mig can plug directly into the ridgid 6800 watt generator not problems, i can weld with it for minutes with out a problem, now the maxstar 150 stl on the other hand once plugged in immediately trips the breaker with out use, the machine is just on not welding. I talked to a miller rep today, he said the welder is fine and needs a 20 amp breaker, and said the reason it's tripping is because it's a gfci breaker even though it's rated at 20 amps it still trips it. so i'm curious if i can change the breakers? or if this is the end of the road for me running my maxstar 150 off this generator. it's weird to me because the mig welder can run off the generator fine but the stick tig welder, which weighs about 13 pounds compared to the mig 150lbs + cannot. I know the welders weight doesn't have much to do with it, the point i'm trying to make is the maxstar 150 is a newer more advanced machine thus weight less and being more efficient etc. any help would be nice, especially if anyone has had this happen to them or does currently operate a welder off this generator. thanks again.
                I'm a welder. Welding at 15 AMPS
                `120 is more than limited.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

hey guys, just an update here i know i might eat crow on this but i managed to run the welder off the generator with a little help from my father. now neither him or i are electricians, but considering he's a nuclear engineer and has nuke plant operating experience as well as experience and knowledge of physics and science and electricity in general i let him steer me. so what we did was take the nema 5-20r plug that was wired into the welder and made a pigtail connecting it to a 4 prong twist lock 30 amp. so pretty much the 4 prong is running without one prong connected since the nema 5-20r has only 3 wires. my father drew me a detailed diagram of how the type of electrical system works and told me that if there is a common and a ground it can be substituted either way without the other one, now i don't know if what i just said was exactly what he told me but it's to that effect. needless to say i ran the welder off the 240 v for hours burning rod after rod and nothing happened that seemed to effect either the welder or the generator.

Comment

The 6800 is a bonded neutral generator, so yes, you can do that. It wouldn't pass a site inspection, but it will work.
                    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

... it's not wise to just jam your male end into some random female end without knowing the risks!
                      Many friends have made their lives a living hell by doing just that.
                      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Well just another update here. The welder generator combo seems to be working out fine thanks to everyone who helped me out.

Comment

Working...
                        X