Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

I hate mondays !!!!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I hate mondays !!!!!!

    Said this to the lady at the scales. 1/2 an hour later My 1 1/2" Dia. pitman arm broke
    in Half ! No steering on a turn I'm in the wrong lane of traffic! Dump truck is loaded with base rock! Thank God, No oncoming traffic, I was just starting in low range. Get My Guy out with a traffic slow sign , call for BIG wrecker. 30 minutes later He's here. Can't believe they only charged Me $200.00 ! Now should I groove it and weld it ?
    Life is never Dull .
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

  • #2
    Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

    I hope you're not serious about welding that? Hey, maybe you are that good, but I'd get a puller and new part. Does the truck have kingpins? How is the front end?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

      I would suggest to replace it, I have welded up one before but the truck was only used as a feed truck in a feed lot, and they could not find a replacement,

      there is a reason why it broke, and if it is crystallized or some other defect and you weld it and it breaks again they will focus on you, not the truck I would think the liability would be to great, to chance it on a truck driven on public roads,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

        Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I hope you're not serious about welding that? Hey, maybe you are that good, but I'd get a puller and new part. Does the truck have kingpins? How is the front end?
        Ford F-8000 About 34,000 Gross I know better,I'll buy new. Off road shops cut,flip N weld these all the time, I doubt they passed on x ray papers,I have. I just love to repair it all . Our generation .
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

          Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Ford F-8000 About 34,000 Gross I know better,I'll buy new. Off road shops cut,flip N weld these all the time, I doubt they passed on x ray papers,I have. I just love to repair it all . Our generation .
          Tool, you may be a real good welder but think if it broke and someone got killed? Just too darn risky, and I know it's not cheap. BHD is right that they would find that repair during an investigation.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

            Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Tool, you may be a real good welder but think if it broke and someone got killed? Just too darn risky, and I know it's not cheap. BHD is right that they would find that repair during an investigation.
            Yes , If they see a weld on the arm at the scales, I get a ticket.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

              Well, part not available anymore! It's the steering arm, not pitman. 2/3 of the 1 1/2" break was rusted! it had cracked at some point and 1/3 was doing all the work by itself. took a rosebud heated the housing cherry red. Than with a pointed concrete bit drove it out with My Elec jack hammer. Grind Both pieces back , pre heat and weld with 1/8" 7018 tomorrow .Back in the race Monday. Busted, can't Be trusted, reckless Irishman.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

                Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Well, part not available anymore! It's the steering arm, not pitman. 2/3 of the 1 1/2" break was rusted! it had cracked at some point and 1/3 was doing all the work by itself. took a rosebud heated the housing cherry red. Than with a pointed concrete bit drove it out with My Elec jack hammer. Grind Both pieces back , pre heat and weld with 1/8" 7018 tomorrow .Back in the race Monday. Busted, can't Be trusted, reckless Irishman.
                Wow! that sounds like some real man's work. I miss physical, rewarding work, driving and operating big powerful vehicles. Retirement stinks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

                  I have to replace the slide rail bushings on my truck, not an overly hard task in itself, but I have to take apart the leaf springs in order to do it.
                  leaf springs are a funny thing. Get it right and no problem. Get it wrong and you'd better hold the heck on

                  I think I'll let the pro's handle this one.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

                    Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    I have to replace the slide rail bushings on my truck, not an overly hard task in itself, but I have to take apart the leaf springs in order to do it.
                    leaf springs are a funny thing. Get it right and no problem. Get it wrong and you'd better hold the heck on

                    I think I'll let the pro's handle this one.
                    Smart move Gene. That's one of those jobs where a lift and the experience of doing it on a daily basis will make it simple, fast and safe. Sure, you could do it, but considering the risks and time involved I agree it's better to let the pros do it. I used to spend all sorts of time getting my cars up in the air so I could replace exhaust parts. Man, I busted my but back then, now it goes right to the shop. I will still do brakes and work under the hood.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

                      Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      I have to replace the slide rail bushings on my truck, not an overly hard task in itself, but I have to take apart the leaf springs in order to do it.
                      leaf springs are a funny thing. Get it right and no problem. Get it wrong and you'd better hold the heck on

                      I think I'll let the pro's handle this one.
                      Keep in mind . A big truck spring shop can re arch Your old springs! I've had it done. At one time I turned wrenches as a Mech. Auto, truck. USMC Helo Mech. Sikorskys
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

                        Big truck wrecking yards will have these parts in stock, and if not, they can find it at another yard and get charged a premium, which of course they pass on to you. Ebay might have something?
                        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I hate mondays !!!!!!

                          Thanks. Truck is all fixed. Ground out Pre heated Tied in Passes of 7018.Air brakes adjusted. Greased all steering components.
                          Handles awesome! Getting More Paver sand today. Beth is happy, working on our home.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X