Gear Junkie...the new chapter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Junkie...the new chapter

Been gone for a couple months but you'll have to excuse me. I was in Okinawa on another deployment..make that number 10. That's number 6 away from my 8 year old son, it wears on you. But this was also my last. After 13 1/2 years, I'm getting out of the navy. I didn't choose it, it was decided for me. Families fight ERB with petition, Facebook - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times My family nor I am fighting it. I'm actually glad to go, I wasn't 100% happy with the Navy anymore. As I got closer to the top, I realized how much I disliked what I saw. At some point you gotta admit the ship is sinking and you're not going to save it.

Anyway, the plan is now for me to go back to Va Beach and have run my plumbing business full time. I was licensed in VA but this time I'll be working without the safety net of a second income. I'm not going to lie and say I'm not scared(I am) but I will add that I'm really looking foward to finally do a job where I get to make the right decisions because I'm in charge of my own life now. I'll be joining the Reserves so the military time wasn't a total wash. In all I feel lucky, I'm starting this new chapter with the support of my family, have all my own tools and truck, no debt and have already learned from a bunch of my mistakes.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Gear Junkie...the new chapter

Navy: Enlisted retention boards cut 2,947 - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times another link on the ERB
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

welcome home ben

see you soon.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

ben as a former sea dog myself, i want to thank you for your service to our country.

second. at 13.5 years in part of me wants to tell you just wants to tell you to stick it out just for the retirement and benifits. but knowing full well that that if you are not happy 6.5 more years can seem like a life sentence.

do what is right for you, you family and your sanity. you will never regret it.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Thank you for your service!

Ten deployments is surely a heavy burden on you and your family. I am hoping that you and your family will find this "new chapter" rewarding and will bring you all much stability to your family life.

Best wishes for a long and prosperouse future,

CWS

Comment

GJ, if you are talking about active duty, I can see how it can wear on you. I have fifteen years in (National Guard) and counting. Here is my suggestion, yes stay in, you're past the hump, however, instead of Active duty, go Naval Reserve. Not only is it easier to finish out the rest of your time, but you can still apply for Tricare health insurance, which is the cheapest game anywhere. $197 a month for a family plan? Go ahead, TRY to find a more affordable service.
            Also, Don't forget about the Post 9-11 GI Bill, there may come a time you need to rely on it, and/or sign it over to your kids. With the cost of college these days, they will need all the support they can get. Don't screw them out of that!

Hell, I have an Uncle that spent 8 years active, then finished the rest in the Reserves. He gotten the best of both worlds, used his veteran status and training for a masters and in turn used it in a career in Communications.

Comment

Welcome Back Gear Junkie, and I feel your pain regarding military cuts, cause Clinton did it in 93. Was very devastating to a lot of families back then. I got out 6 months early because of those cuts, even though I was offered $15,000 for re-enlisting.

I was back in Virginia Beach 3 years ago this month, and boy have things changed over the last 20 years....still beautiful though.

When my father eventually retires, I'll be nervous as hell, so don't feel like it's only "you", your experience and training will kick in, and you'll be just fine.

Comment

While I urge you to get twenty, there is a trade off with deploying again. The chance to go again still exists and in the Guard deployments used to be 15 months and now they are down to 12 months.

I would darn sure take advantage of Tricare and the Post GI Bill. Tailgunner was all over that.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                  Not only is it easier to finish out the rest of your time, but you can still apply for Tricare health insurance, which is the cheapest game anywhere. $197 a month for a family plan? Go ahead, TRY to find a more affordable service.
                  Also, Don't forget about the Post 9-11 GI Bill, there may come a time you need to rely on it, and/or sign it over to your kids. With the cost of college these days, they will need all the support they can get. Don't screw them out of that!
                  When I was in, I don't think the G.I. bill covered kids for college...have things changed over the last 20 years? I declined the G.I. bill, cause I wanted more money in my paycheck, and I also knew what my career would be once I left the Navy, and it didn't include college.

My wife's family plan is actually cheaper than $197.00 a month (by $17.00), and it includes dental,eye, and free prescriptions if they are made be her employer (she works for a major pharmaceutical) But I hear what you're saying...health insurance is too good to pass up.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    When I was in, I don't think the G.I. bill covered kids for college...have things changed over the last 20 years? I declined the G.I. bill, cause I wanted more money in my paycheck, and I also knew what my career would be once I left the Navy, and it didn't include college.

My wife's family plan is actually cheaper than $197.00 a month (by $17.00), and it includes dental,eye, and free prescriptions if they are made be her employer (she works for a major pharmaceutical) But I hear what you're saying...health insurance is too good to pass up.
                    Oh good God yeah, the GI Bill changed alright. Remember the old 14 year shelf life for GI Bill benefits? GONE. As for the kids, it's either use it for yourself, OR you can sign it over to your children now, they have that option now. I enlisted back in 1997, during the height of the Clinton Era cuts, but the Post 9-11 GI Bill is phenominal, my God I wish I had that program. And there is the GI Bill REAP program that applies to Trades, though it is a paperwork nightmare.

Edit:
                    One thing I have forgotten, In Massachusetts, for members of the MA Guard, the state kicks in an additional general fee waiver to any state college degree program.
                    Last edited by tailgunner; 04-04-2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                      Oh good God yeah, the GI Bill changed alright. Remember the old 14 year shelf life for GI Bill benefits? GONE. As for the kids, it's either use it for yourself, OR you can sign it over to your children now, they have that option now. I enlisted back in 1997, during the height of the Clinton Era cuts, but the Post 9-11 GI Bill is phenominal, my God I wish I had that program. And there is the GI Bill REAP program that applies to Trades, though it is a paperwork nightmare.

Edit:
                      One thing I have forgotten, In Massachusetts, for members of the MA Guard, the state kicks in an additional general fee waiver to any state college degree program.
                      Yea they didn't have none of that when I was in. I can't even remember if the GI bill back then was for $30k or $50k. (higher?).

20 years later, at times I wish I would of done my 20, cause I would have a pension today. But like I said, I took the early out, cause someone with a family would of gotten the boot instead, and I didn't want to see that happen.

Comment

Well, and yes I realise I'm going to sound like a recruiter, if you are prior service, there might be a Guard unit around that can take you in. If I remember right, the maximum age was raised to 42 for prior service. Like anything, a quick phone call to a unit can answer any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Been gone for a couple months but you'll have to excuse me. I was in Okinawa on another deployment..make that number 10. That's number 6 away from my 8 year old son, it wears on you. But this was also my last. After 13 1/2 years, I'm getting out of the navy. I didn't choose it, it was decided for me. Families fight ERB with petition, Facebook - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times My family nor I am fighting it. I'm actually glad to go, I wasn't 100% happy with the Navy anymore. As I got closer to the top, I realized how much I disliked what I saw. At some point you gotta admit the ship is sinking and you're not going to save it.

Anyway, the plan is now for me to go back to Va Beach and have run my plumbing business full time. I was licensed in VA but this time I'll be working without the safety net of a second income. I'm not going to lie and say I'm not scared(I am) but I will add that I'm really looking foward to finally do a job where I get to make the right decisions because I'm in charge of my own life now. I'll be joining the Reserves so the military time wasn't a total wash. In all I feel lucky, I'm starting this new chapter with the support of my family, have all my own tools and truck, no debt and have already learned from a bunch of my mistakes.
                          Gear I want to thank You ,Your wife, N Son for Your Navel service to our country. The familys are a huge support group
                          for all You Vets,and make many sacrafaces ,also. Because, We Know of Your work effort, We also know You've had 1/2 of a leg planted in civilian life servicing civilians and military. Semper fi to ALL THREE OF YOU ! The rail switch was thrown By the Lord
                          and Your train is heading in a new and better life! Before You all were existing, Now You'll be living. Be well Tool
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks for your service , and good luck in your bussiness adventure , you will be fine ,

Comment

Good to have you back, I hope to see you soon buddy.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X