X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRI-Stack 5 Gallon Compression Problem

I bought a new Tri-stack 5 gallon compressor and can not get it to stay on. When I turn it to Auto and it begins to take in air it pops the circuit breaker. Am I doing something wrong, or is it likely I need to return it?

Re: TRI-Stack 5 Gallon Compression Problem

do you have it plugged directly into a 20 amp outlet? From my experiance, unless its a heavy gauge extention cord, they are big no-no's for air compressors. Also, my Ridgid air compressor does not run on a 15amp outlet. it runs fine on a 20amp, but not a 15.

Comment

My first guess would be as Alphcowboy expressed... it's overloading the electric circuit.

But there are a couple of reasons that it could do that... First, as "Alpha" mentioned, it's trying to draw more current than the extension cord and/or the circuit breaker will allow. Compressor's generally do not like extension cords, unless they are maximum-sized to fit the situation.

You didn't mention if this is a lubricated unit, but if that is the case... lubricated compressors (lube oil in the crankcase) also have to contend with viscosity issues in cold weather.

If neither of these are an issue here, then you could have a defective relief valve at the pressure switch unloader line. This seems to be an issue that comes up quite often with some compressors. Basically, at the point where an operating compressor reaches it's normal operating pressure, the pressure switch will shutdown the compressor, and at that point, it will also trigger this "relief" or "unloader" valve to actuate and dump the pressure in the line between the cylinder and the tank check valve.

If this valve does not work properly, then that line and the cylinder is still under pressure; and when it is time to restart the compressor the existing pressure cannot be overcome by the motor and it will stall, triggering the circuit breaker.

One way to check this, is to open the tank drain valve, relieving all the pressure in the tank, any pressure in the supply line and cylinder will also bleed (past the tank check valve) into the tank. With the pressure fully drained (leave the drain valve open), try and see if the compressor will run. If it still triggers the circuit breaker, it is most likely the cord or circuit itself. If it runs, then shut the drain valve and let the tank come up to pressure... listen for the shutoff and try to hear the "relief" pressure on shutoff. If you don't hear that "hiss" or the unit fails to restart on normal use, then I'd expect it to be this "relief" or "unloader" valve to be defective.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Hey....I am facing the same problem with my compressor. Even I have tried a lot things to overcome this problem but always failed. Can anyone help me out ? Thanks.
        Vacuum Systems | Industrial Pumps |Centrifugal Pumps

Comment

Read my previous post/answer.

CWS

Comment

my compressor ran on low power and know it starts slow turns about 10 times and pops switch tried replacing the capassitors but its not that is this fixable what is the effect of low power(running it off trailer house)?

Comment

I just purchased the same compressor and have found the same issue, though I know with out a doubt my electrical is fine. What I have found is when my compressor gauge reads about 50 PSI it struggles to start running, 75 PSI or higher it wont run, trips the reset everytime. If I drain the tanks and leave them open and switch from Manual to Auto it starts everytime no problem. I am guessing they have an issue with the Check Valve assembly and the back pressure is causing enough resistance to the motor it just can start.

Comment

The "check valve" can be a problem, but I'm guessing it is the "unloader" or "pressure release" valve (same valve, just called different name) that is located at the pressure switch. When the compressor reaches maximum operating pressure, the pressure switch shuts off the electrical feed to the motor; AND, at the same time triggers the "unloader" valve, which blows the feed line from the compressor outlet to the tank. (At the tank fitting is where the "check valve" is located... it's a one-way valve, allowing air into the tank, but NOT back out of it.

You can hear the "unloader valve" blow the line at the moment the motor shuts off, if it is working properly. It releases the air both in the feed line to the tank, as well as the internal pressure in the cylinder. If it does not, then the cylinder is still pressurized and the motor trips the circuit breaker on re-start because it cannot overcome the internal pressure.

If the unloader valve does work, then it may well be the check valve, which is not seating properly and thus allowing air to bleed back into the feedline from the tank.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                X