Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Giant in the Supermarket

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    The thing that amazes me Frank is you expect it to get better after the election with a new president. Did that happen the last time or the time before that? No, and it will be no different now. The only thing that will change is who is reaping the profits. Nether party is for US, Joe Citizen, they are for those who bankrolled their campaigns and greased the right wheels to get them into office where they could manipulate the system to the benefit of their benefactors.
    Bob, I said "I hope", I have zero expectations of things actually getting better. I understand that for the last forty or so years both democrats and republicans have made no attempts to legislate to disuade outsourcing as other countries do, same thing for illegal immigration, etc.
    I agree with everything else you said and with 16 trillion and growing deficit we are pretty much finished. Can you imagine the cuts necessary to turn things around? Not gonna happen, so I guess inflation will continue to spike food and fuel.

Comment

I went to get peanut butter today for the wife. A 2kg jar of peanut butter was listed at 9.99 today.

Comment

Prices at the grocery are getting ridiculous and I've probably bitched about it almost every day... just refrained from doing it on the forum.

Beef prices have more than doubled. While I can understand that to some extent faced with the massive drought that the cattle-producing regions have faced, there really should have been a period where prices dramatically dropped, due to the sell off of cattle that couldn't be sustained on pasture-less lands. But I never saw that happen, though I understand that there was actually a terrible beating taken by the ranchers on their sell-offs. Where did that possible savings go for the consumer? I suspect much of it was exported at a very good profit to the middlemen in the business, but NOT to the actual cattle ranchers.

Peanuts have increased in price by almost 200% in the last year. I'm a big lover of peanut butter, but over the last year have pretty much weaned myself of it. Actually not so much because of the price, but because it is fattening and you simply can't find decent fresh bread anywhere in my area. It's all stale and tasteless and greatly overpriced. But, I buy peanuts (in the shell) for the critters around my house (yeah, I like squirrels). A year ago I was paying about 2.89 for a 3 lb bag... now that price has reached $5.39. Corn cobs used to be almost a give-away, something like $2 for a 10 lb bag. Now I can't find them locally at all, except at Walmart where they're priced closer to $10 for much less.

The other thing I've noticed is the unbelievable rise in price on Potato Chips. That's my favorite snack and Lay's is my favorite brand. But while a few years ago you could buy a 16-oz bag for about a $1.25, the bags are now about 10 oz and are prices at $4.39. I stopped buying "Lay's" about six months ago. Thanks to Aldi's I can buy thier brand in an 11 oz bag for $1.29.... how can they produce them at that price and Lay's can't???

Thankfully, we have three Aldi's stores here in the Binghamton area and we just opened a new store in Painted Post this last year. They pretty much beat almost everybody on prices, though they don't carry the variety of groceries that Walmart does. But, I think much of their house brand is better than Walmart's or other major brands. Things like milk, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, pizza, and other items are dramatically cheaper. But like with any store, there are things you have to watch out for.

Aldi's is also quite innovative is some areas too. No bags for instance. Stuff is stocked on the shelves in thier shipping boxes and if you need a container, you simply grab an empty box. Likewise, if you want a shopping cart, those are all chained together and you simply pay a "Quarter" to unchain yours for the moment. You want your Quarter back of course, so you return the cart to the corral and chain it back to the others and extract your coin. So, no carts left in the parking lots and there's always one available. They also don't take credit cards (or checks, I believe), so no hold-up in line waiting for processing.

The other thing that I find very disconcerning is the quality of some of the age-old brands. Campbells or Progresso soups for instance. What is it with all the "carrots"... I'm not a big fan of carrots and that seems to be the number one ingredient anymore, regardless of what the soup might be. I'm beginning to think the carrot producers have more influence than the NRA. I love "wedding soup".. you know those little meat balls, spinich, etc. Nice taste... but the last two cans had more carrots than anything else (it never had carrots before). Everything was permeated with carrots to the point that even the broth was orange.... DISCUSTING!

But everything seems just worse.. I used to love DelMonte canned fruit, now it's just all smashed, deteriorated looking mush. Things like Mac and Cheese... but where's the cheese? Yeah, there's all that orange or yellow powder, but there's no cheese taste to any of it. You may as well just buy macaroni, boil the hell out of it and then put butter on it. I hate the amount of tasteless garbage that the industry is putting out. It seems that regardless of brand the primary consideration seems to be increased profits by cutting back on quality ingredients and downsizing the package.

Now, for a story that will really frost most all of us... it surely did me. I've meant to make a post of this several times, but always felt there wasn't an appropriate story to post it too and I'm not sure if it was worth making a new topic for.

So, we don't like the prices. I honestly have cut down and don't buy all the beef that I used to, I've cut Lay's chips, and I buy the cheaper house brand of Diet Cola. When it comes to snacks, let's face it... the prices have gotten ridiculous and anyone following a budget has to be pretty selective these days.

So, here I am in line at the local Binghamton-area Walmart and in the line beside me are these two women, each with their own cart. The first woman's cart is full of "Snacks"... about six bottles of Jolt Cola and a couple of bottles of Coka Cola, all liter-sized. There are six family-size bags of various Lay's chips and one in the child's seat which has already been opened and mostly consumed while shopping. I notice several boxes of ("too-expensive" for me to consider) pizza snacks, and some of those little luncheon meat-cheese snack packs. Price came up to $96.80.... and then she reached into her rather expensive pocket book and paid for it with her county welfare card! Oh did I mention she was a minority with four kids and wearing Muslim dress?

The second woman had much less in her cart and was alone. Dressed nicely with a full-length leather coat. She had two thin-looking packages of meat, beef or some kind. Each package came to over $18 and didn't look like enough to make a good meal, should one be really hungry. Then of course she also had a package of shrimp and a couple of snack items, but I didn't recognize the packaging. Her total came up to about $74 and some change. Pretty high, considering there were only about five or six items in her cart. But, she also paid for those groceries with her county welfare card.

Now here I am, having worked at some kind of job since I was 12 years old. In adulthood, I've seen no more than maybe six or seven weeks of actual unemployment in my entire working life. I've got some fair savings, get enough pension to cover my retirement health insurance bill (but that is all it covers), and I get a SS check every month. Yes, I could afford to buy better food, but only by subsidising it out of my 401K, which I'm not going to do. As a result, my wife and I are pretty good shoppers, watching the budget, buying on sales, picking the right stores and being very selective in grocery purchases, leaning on the side of eggs, pasta, cheaper cuts of meat like pork or chicken and only buying beef when there is some spectacular sale someplace. AND, I see these welfare people who don't contribute to anything and they are having absolutely NO PROBLEM whatsoever in feeding their fat asses and popping out as many kids as they can who will in turn become welfare recipients.

This is NOT a problem of one party or the other, but it is certainly a political problem and it certainly is a problem which is forcing this country downhill. Frankly it makes me sick when I see people who do not work, living better and eating better and having more rights and entitlements than people who have worked all thier lives, paid their taxes, and contributed to society throughout their lives. This country needs some very serious changes!

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 04-14-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I was a little apprehensive about starting this thread because I thought it was just me seeing this problem. CWS, I agree that this country needs some very serious changes, but will they be forthcoming? I don't have a problem with folks using food stamps, but I agree there are abuses. Why should I have to look at steaks in the foodstore, like a kid observing an exotic animal at the zoo, while folks on gov't assistance can consume them?

People on fixed wages and fixed retirement incomes can only afford these constant risies in food and fuel for so long. There will reach a breaking point and whether or not our politicians are aware of this or even care, it's coming! I have seen many well established small businesses in my area close due to rising operating costs, and declining customers. Will we see some kind of expotential breakdown if gasoline hits $5.00, and food costs rise another 20% or so? Instead of playing politics, our legislators should admit the seriousness of these situations and take immediate action.

Comment

they use the farmer for a scape goat, (many of the processors do) saying we raised the price of X Y Z, and so they have to raise the price,

the farmer does not set the price of most things, (besides possibly at farmers market) speculators do, there are futures markets, in wheat corn soybeans and most other grains, and for most meats,

the price on prices in the grocery store has little to do with what the farmer gets, they discovered long ago that if the prices fluctuate then customers then expect the prices to drop from time to time or by the news they hear, they just figured out if I keep steaks at $xx a pound and can buy it cheaper it more money in my pocket, and when the prices of beef raise do to seasonal or cycles or drought pressures, we will blame the mean farmer for raising prices and say to the customer that mean farmer raised the price of beef and we need to raise our price, but you will not see it drop any more only go up, the same for bread and most any thing else, ( now with fuel going up you will see stories in the new on how it will effect groceries, (did you see them drop when price of gas dropped, NO you did not but now your hearing the prices will raise again do to fuel going up,

a lot of the price of food going up is do to the drop of the US Dollar, when a world traded product is bought and sold, and the US dollar drops, the cost to us goes up and many times make it cheaper over seas, (it happened back in the early 1970's when Nixon too us entirely off the gold standard, and commodity prices doubled nearly over night, then they raised the prices of food as well, but you never saw a loaf of bread drop since then, and about 10 years ago the beef processors figured it out as well, (there motto is never drop the price).
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

As long as we are going to talk about welfare, although I agree that the abuses must stop, let us not forget the "other" welfare recipients--the corporate farmer and the oil companies. Why do we pay those corporate farmers (I'm not talking about the family farmer) to not raise products so we can pay more at the grocery store? Of course, I understand why we need to pay billions to the oil companies--they are "really" hurting.

Comment

I just watched a special on the Fox News channel with eric bolling and sarah palin about the gas crisis. They covered a lot of ground including the idea of limiting trading oil futures, however there was no mention of our domestic oil being sold abroad (china). They criticized President Obama and rightly so for his "solution" of proper tire inflation and tuneups, but there was no mention of when former President Bush was asked about the price of a gallon of gas(I think at the time it was $4.00) and his response of "Is that so".
                My point is that people who are suffering at the pump and at the stores are looking to elitists for understanding and answers. I'm pretty sure President Obama has no intention of increasing production through drilling permits and other measures. Will we see Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney commit to do whatever it takes to increase production and get us out of this mess?

Comment

Well, I just paid $4.59 (MA) for a loaf of bread and $4.05 (CT) for a gallon of gasoline today. What was the Federal minimum wage again?

Comment

Vary interesting thread and all you have said is not just happening in the US its happening world wide just wait till your paying $1.50 a $1.60 for a litre of petrol ($6.00/gallon) then you will be complaining but that is what we pay in Australia even though we are swimming in oil and LPgas somebody is making a fortune
                    Food prices are through the roof and who wants to go to places like cosco and buy in bulk there is only a couple of times I want to eat the same meal in a week and I don`t want a sixty pack of toilet paper I don`t know how it is in your supermarkets but here they doing away with the brands I grew up with and all you see on the shelves are home brands that the super markets make cutting the throats of firms that originally made them

Tony

Comment

the problem as many of you have figured out is the fuel prices, as driver and owner of 2 trucks i can tell you and provide the proof if needed that i spent on fuel alone $6200 just last week. my freightliner gets appox 6.4 mpg as an avg, my international pro star gets 7.2 mpg as an avg.

as you can tell these are not great numbers but there are many 5 mpg trucks out there. so you fill your tanks at 250 gals (both of mine hold 320 gallons each) and at $4 a gallon which is the nations avg right now that is $1000 a fill up x 3 a week x 2 trucks. well........ someone to pay the fuel so here comes the fuel surcharge on top of the freight rate so the costomer pays approx $2.25 a mile (loaded and including the fuel surcharge) so an avg run of 800 miles just in transportation cost of the final product alone will cost $1800. that does not include the costs of delivey of the raw product, the energy used to make the products and the cost of labor and insureance costs. as these costs rise the costomer will have to pay more for the final product.

we as a nation need to get away from opec.

we as a nation need to adopt alterntive power soruces

we as a nation need to rise to the of this energy crisis.

or be doomed to failure as a nation because we waited to long to adapt.

just my 2 copper pieces
                      Last edited by oldslowchevy; 04-15-2012, 03:25 AM.
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                        the problem as many of you have figured out is the fuel prices, as driver and owner of 2 trucks i can tell you and provide the proof if needed that i spent on fuel alone $6200 just last week. my freightliner gets appox 6.4 mpg as an avg, my international pro star gets 7.2 mpg as an avg.

as you can tell these are not great numbers but there are many 5 mpg trucks out there. so you fill your tanks at 250 gals (both of mine hold 320 gallons each) and at $4 a gallon which is the nations avg right now that is $1000 a fill up x 3 a week x 2 trucks. well........ someone to pay the fuel so here comes the fuel surcharge on top of the freight rate so the costomer pays approx $2.25 a mile (loaded and including the fuel surcharge) so an avg run of 800 miles just in transportation cost of the final product alone will cost $1800. that does not include the costs of delivey of the raw product, the energy used to make the products and the cost of labor and insureance costs. as these costs rise the costomer will have to pay more for the final product.

we as a nation need to get away from opec.

we as a nation need to adopt alterntive power soruces

we as a nation need to rise to the of this energy crisis.

or be doomed to failure as a nation because we waited to long to adapt.

just my 2 copper pieces
                        Great post! On that Fox News program truckers said they were selling their rigs because they were losing money! What happens if truckers just give up and walk away? I've been thinking that would sort of be the end of it, if trucks stop rolling and goods don't make it to market?
                        Is it too late to fix it? I know what other people like europeans pay for fuel, but we are not set up or capable to pay such prices. I think there is a breaking point when it all just stops working. Maybe that price is $5.00 or $5.50 a gallon but I think it's a real thing.
                        Whether it's big oil, the speculators or anybody else running up the price, I believe it is a bigger threat to our country than terrorism. Inflating our tires and tuneups will do nothing in the face of these prices, unfortunately our legislators don't pay for their vehicles or fuel. They are removed from our reality and the threat facing our nation.

Comment

speculators do, there are futures markets,
                          These are the same greedy people who have driven the price of fuel through the roof....investment bankers and futures traders.

Do you remember this 60 Minutes piece from a couple years ago?
                          Nothing has changed, they still play the same game, and it all
                          started back around 2001 when regulations loosened up.

Refresh your memory.
                          The Price Of Oil - 60 Minutes - CBS News
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 04-15-2012, 05:58 AM.
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                            Vary interesting thread and all you have said is not just happening in the US its happening world wide just wait till your paying $1.50 a $1.60 for a litre of petrol ($6.00/gallon) then you will be complaining but that is what we pay in Australia even though we are swimming in oil and LPgas somebody is making a fortune
                            Food prices are through the roof and who wants to go to places like cosco and buy in bulk there is only a couple of times I want to eat the same meal in a week and I don`t want a sixty pack of toilet paper I don`t know how it is in your supermarkets but here they doing away with the brands I grew up with and all you see on the shelves are home brands that the super markets make cutting the throats of firms that originally made them

Tony
                            Same us up north here in Canada. Alberta is swimming in oil, and yeasterday I paid 1.40 per litre (5.60 per gallon).

Comment

Some great posts here! Speculators are breaking the back of the average working family. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that EVERY politician is in that part of the market. Makes me sick to know our country is now run by greed. There's pathetic few in politics that are actually keeping their constituents' needs first and foremost. I think we need to start pointing these greedy bast**ds out for what they are and make it public knowledge. Maybe, just maybe, next time they bring "joe six-pack" up in a conversation they'll have some respect for the power we weild. It's not much, but we are many. We are the voters. We are the ones that don't get on a soap box. We talk to our friends, we make our point specifically. WE are the people. Now, let's act like it!! We don't have to argue about who. We have to make our point, tell our friends the truth and let them know what is going on. WE can, if we get our stuff together, make a difference. Research the candidates, review their financials and sources of income. Review their voting records in relation to those income sources. If they're speculators, get the word out. Let your friends and fellow voters know about the greed.

I don't mind people making money in the market, that's part of our country that we SHOULD be proud of. Right now, it's not anything to brag about. The market is full of a bunch of manipulators. Greedy money-sucking twerps with no real ability to understand what they're doing to the country. They don't care about the country. Their point of view is "me and mine" and the rest of society doesn't count. Where is their loyalty? Do they care about the United States of America? Show me where they have shown some patriotism or even consideration for the Country. Their actions are what count. As we move forward, it's actions that will make the difference. Let's put some ethics back in the system. Let's put some ethics back in our people. WE are the people. We are accountable, and we must make the politicians know they are too.
                              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                                Some great posts here! Speculators are breaking the back of the average working family. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that EVERY politician is in that part of the market. Makes me sick to know our country is now run by greed. There's pathetic few in politics that are actually keeping their constituents' needs first and foremost. I think we need to start pointing these greedy bast**ds out for what they are and make it public knowledge. Maybe, just maybe, next time they bring "joe six-pack" up in a conversation they'll have some respect for the power we weild. It's not much, but we are many. We are the voters. We are the ones that don't get on a soap box. We talk to our friends, we make our point specifically. WE are the people. Now, let's act like it!! We don't have to argue about who. We have to make our point, tell our friends the truth and let them know what is going on. WE can, if we get our stuff together, make a difference. Research the candidates, review their financials and sources of income. Review their voting records in relation to those income sources. If they're speculators, get the word out. Let your friends and fellow voters know about the greed.

I don't mind people making money in the market, that's part of our country that we SHOULD be proud of. Right now, it's not anything to brag about. The market is full of a bunch of manipulators. Greedy money-sucking twerps with no real ability to understand what they're doing to the country. They don't care about the country. Their point of view is "me and mine" and the rest of society doesn't count. Where is their loyalty? Do they care about the United States of America? Show me where they have shown some patriotism or even consideration for the Country. Their actions are what count. As we move forward, it's actions that will make the difference. Let's put some ethics back in the system. Let's put some ethics back in our people. WE are the people. We are accountable, and we must make the politicians know they are too.
                                There is a difference in making money in the stock market and speculating in futures. When you buy stock in a company you are helping them to expand, modernize or increase the efficiency of their business which may help to create jobs or make more of their products affordable. Commodity futures was a business tool at one time designed for companies like airlines to help them forecast what fuel prices might be in 90 days so they could adjust their airfares accordingly. The speculation was based on supply and demand. Same thing with food. If disease affects a wheat crop you would see prices spike until supply once again equalized with demand. In a way commodities futures are like unions, great when they started but soon enough, people found ways to abuse the system. I doubt their is a person in power without some financial interest in commodities futures. They're the ones making the laws and you can't expect them to re-regulate the futures market and risk taking a hit on their investments. At this point sponsoring a bill to regulate the commodities market would amount to political suicide.

Comment

Working...
                                X