Giant in the Supermarket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant in the Supermarket

I went food shopping with my wife today and I should have taken some medication beforehand. Things continue to be more frustrating for me, and I used to like to go food shopping. The grapefruits were the size of oranges in my hands and my hands are small! I looked but refused to buy the $10.00 a pound steaks. The half gallon container of icecream is shrinking smaller and smaller, and looks more like a can of Spam. The straw that broke this camel's back was the shelves where the 5lb bags of flour reside! The 5lb bags were all gone...replaced with 2lb bags priced the same. I don't cook in a child's Easy Bake Oven danit! I picked up one of the tiny bags and shook my head in amazement. My world is shrinking right before my eyes. Gasoline here is $4.29 for regular but our governor is hard at work reducing the tax on it so pretty soon it will be down a full penny. That should off much needed relief.

I don't know if folks can hold on until the election at this rate. I'm complaining but there are people who are barely getting ,and the rising price at the pump along with the rising costs and shrinking sizes at the food store will put them over the edge soon.

Re: Giant in the Supermarket

The thing that amazes me Frank, when my wife stops by the Supermarket on the way home from work to get some things for dinner, it's easily $50.00 + for 1 meal.

We literally shop at 4 different places, just to save money on groceries.

Not sure if you have 1 near you, but Aldi is a savior! Now we can't get everything we want there, but I can fill up a shopping cart full of food and still be under $100.00.

Comment

Flux, no such store as you mentioned around here. There are some real wealthy folks around here and the food stores price accordingly.If I shop costco (big box store) and buy certain multi pack canned goods I can save a bit over the supermarket. Meat in the form of steaks can't be touched for under $8.99 a pound unless you want to pay for fat and bones. I used to get pork shoulder for $.99 a lb last year, now it's $1.49 constant. I cook a good deal of the main meals because I'm home and my wife works. My cost for dinner runs $8 to $15 and I make roast chicken, burgers, roast beef or pork which we will eat as leftovers, my wife makes tomato sauce which makes several meals.

My main concern or complaint is that the prices are rising extremely fast as product sizes are shrinking. I'm not gonna starve but for the family that was just getting buy lat year, gassing up their cars and food shopping, these spikes at the pump and food stores have to be taking a serious toll. I have high blood pressure and my wife needs to eat healthy since her bout with cancer and all the medications she takes. We can't be eating McDonalds and other fast food, not that you can eat for under $10 at those places either! Seeing those shelves cleared of them 5lb bags of flour was a shock. I guess the next thing to shronk will be 5lb bags of sugar? Things are out of hand in my opinion. Don't know what the solution is, sure hope a new President will help.

Comment

to help our groceries bill out,
        I milk goats, if we have extra my one DD makes cheese out of the extra, lately I have keep the kids on the mommas and do not have a lot extra, but some times we have had 10 gallons extra a week between the two families,
        we have the chickens, wife jsut hatched out about 20 chicks yesterday and today in the incubator and we found a hen that is hatching out some chicks as well, so they provide meat and eggs as well,
        If we have a downer cow, that is healthy we butcher it for our own needs, and I do have a feed lot that sometimes calls me if they have one that is hurt and needs to be put down, (I do not take sick animals), from time to time I fatten out one, but there worth so much I can not hardly afford to not sell the animal,
        some times we butcher a goat as well, (but I prefer to sell them, hard to butcher some thing that you riase almost like a pet),
        wife raises a large garden, about a 1/4 of an acre, we have our own wheat that she grinds at times, and we have millet and peas some times, (been raising peas for a cover crop or trying it), can buy beans down at the bean processing plant, have raised oats as well in the past,

wife buys white flour by the 25 pound sack, still buys in the cloth bags milled by a semi local mill, about 75 miles east of us,

a local farmer has honey they process, (big time), that reminds me I need to get another gallon or so,

we still spend a lot at the grocery store tho,

we still buy a lot of bulk items,

lately my #1DD has been here visting, and she has 5 boys, (they can make food disappear and my #2 DD has been visiting as well, and her two kids, ( extra people in the house makes ever meal look like you set it for thanks giving, (11 people around the table),

wife was given a nice heavy bottom 4 gallon stock pot a few days ago by a lady in town, (still had the sticker on it) and she has been making good use of it while the girls have been visiting,

when the kids were little and at home wife made 90% of the bread we ate, using our own grain, we ground the wheat and she would bake, about 9 loaves a week it took),

our winters and winds do not treat fruit trees well, we had a few apple trees, and between the deer and the winds I think got 3 apples off of them in there short life,

on one piece of ground my mother had, there was a lone cherry tree, that out lived the farmstead and the rest of the wind break that at one time surround it,
        It was always a treat to go get the cherrys off of it and have a pie made, but one day it succumb to the elements as well, (I am starting to get enough new wind break around the farm I may try to plant some fruit trees again, and see what happens,

Food is getting expensive, scares me when I go shopping as well,
        Last edited by BHD; 04-13-2012, 10:44 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD, I really enjoy reading your posts like the one above. I know you reap the rewards of all your hard work, but there is so much more involved that folks like me can only imagine. I have seen some tv shows about farm work and you have plenty of overhead costs like keeping your animals healthy, living quarters and machinery clean and in proper running order. Many of the farmers I watched seemed half hard working man and half scientist. The ability to do what you do well and have accesss to all that produce and meat is a dream for most. The reality for most families and the elderly dependent on food stores is a constant challenge stretch the food and the dollar, while the store does just the opposite! A few weeks back I was upset because the food store stopped carrying cake flour in a five lb size. I priced a 25lb bag online, with shipping it was not a great savings. Now with all purpose flour shrinking down to a 2lb size I'm in a real bad mood and wondering when it just all falls apart?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            my wife makes tomato sauce which makes several meals.
            Frank...it's GRAVY NOT SAUCE!!

But you know I'm Italian, and did you also know that most Italian dishes are depression dishes? Growing up we had a pot of gravy (sauce as you say) 3 times a week, usually stuffed peppers 1 of those days, and it was a treat to get Veal/Chicken cutlets as well. Pepper&Egg sandwiches on a hard roll was another delicious treat we had once a week.

My mom made the depression version of the chicken soup she learnt off of her mother-in law. It was the type of soup in where you had to move the spoon around the bowl to find the chicken or vegetables...lol. The weird thing was...we lived a very nice life growing up and money wasn't the issue at all...it's just what Italians eat. My in-laws are hard-core italians...they cook the exact same way, but when you sit down to eat, it's a freaking feast!

Cook more Italian dishes Frank...they go a very long way. My father and mother said that their grand mothers could take 1 egg and make a meal out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              to help our groceries bill out,
              I milk goats, if we have extra my one DD makes cheese out of the extra, lately I have keep the kids on the mommas and do not have a lot extra, but some times we have had 10 gallons extra a week between the two families,
              we have the chickens, wife jsut hatched out about 20 chicks yesterday and today in the incubator and we found a hen that is hatching out some chicks as well, so they provide meat and eggs as well,
              If we have a downer cow, that is healthy we butcher it for our own needs, and I do have a feed lot that sometimes calls me if they have one that is hurt and needs to be put down, (I do not take sick animals), from time to time I fatten out one, but there worth so much I can not hardly afford to not sell the animal,
              some times we butcher a goat as well, (but I prefer to sell them, hard to butcher some thing that you riase almost like a pet),
              wife raises a large garden, about a 1/4 of an acre, we have our own wheat that she grinds at times, and we have millet and peas some times, (been raising peas for a cover crop or trying it), can buy beans down at the bean processing plant, have raised oats as well in the past,

wife buys white flour by the 25 pound sack, still buys in the cloth bags milled by a semi local mill, about 75 miles east of us,

a local farmer has honey they process, (big time), that reminds me I need to get another gallon or so,

we still spend a lot at the grocery store tho,

we still buy a lot of bulk items,

lately my #1DD has been here visting, and she has 5 boys, (they can make food disappear and my #2 DD has been visiting as well, and her two kids, ( extra people in the house makes ever meal look like you set it for thanks giving, (11 people around the table),

wife was given a nice heavy bottom 4 gallon stock pot a few days ago by a lady in town, (still had the sticker on it) and she has been making good use of it while the girls have been visiting,

when the kids were little and at home wife made 90% of the bread we ate, using our own grain, we ground the wheat and she would bake, about 9 loaves a week it took),

our winters and winds do not treat fruit trees well, we had a few apple trees, and between the deer and the winds I think got 3 apples off of them in there short life,

on one piece of ground my mother had, there was a lone cherry tree, that out lived the farmstead and the rest of the wind break that at one time surround it,
              It was always a treat to go get the cherrys off of it and have a pie made, but one day it succumb to the elements as well, (I am starting to get enough new wind break around the farm I may try to plant some fruit trees again, and see what happens,

Food is getting expensive, scares me when I go shopping as well,
              You would think that you especially wouldn't have to go to the grocery store, because you're a farmer. I still envy you, because you have all that room to plant,raise animals, and do whatever is necessary for food.

As for me, I'm moving in 13 days to a brand new home that's on a 1/2 an acre! I don't think my township or neighbors would like me having cows and goats roaming my yard. The only thing I can hope to do is plant a garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                Frank...it's GRAVY NOT SAUCE!!

But you know I'm Italian, and did you also know that most Italian dishes are depression dishes? Growing up we had a pot of gravy (sauce as you say) 3 times a week, usually stuffed peppers 1 of those days, and it was a treat to get Veal/Chicken cutlets as well. Pepper&Egg sandwiches on a hard roll was another delicious treat we had once a week.

My mom made the depression version of the chicken soup she learnt off of her mother-in law. It was the type of soup in where you had to move the spoon around the bowl to find the chicken or vegetables...lol. The weird thing was...we lived a very nice life growing up and money wasn't the issue at all...it's just what Italians eat. My in-laws are hard-core italians...they cook the exact same way, but when you sit down to eat, it's a freaking feast!

Cook more Italian dishes Frank...they go a very long way. My father and mother said that their grand mothers could take 1 egg and make a meal out of it.
                Flux, you got me hungry and I got a stomach ache Once a week I make a six egg fritatta with potatoes, onions and mushrooms MMMM, Great for breakfast or on a roll as a sandwich. I fry eggs in olive oil (very unique taste) and also cook them in tomato gravy Trust me, I can stretch food and cook a wide variety, I just want a fighting chance. By the way, my wife made stuffed jumbo pasta shells for Easter and I've been eating them all week, plus we have another tray frozen. Forget that, I'm still mad about the flour!!! Goodnight

Comment

Flux, you got me hungry and I got a stomach ache Once a week I make a six egg fritatta with potatoes, onions and mushrooms MMMM, Great for breakfast or on a roll as a sandwich. I fry eggs in olive oil (very unique taste) and also cook them in tomato gravy Trust me, I can stretch food and cook a wide variety, I just want a fighting chance. By the way, my wife made stuffed jumbo pasta shells for Easter and I've been eating them all week, plus we have another tray frozen. Forget that, I'm still mad about the flour!!! Goodnight
                  Frank...I love pepper-egg-potato-onion sandwiches! Omg I could pound those things all day long!

Comment

I don't know if folks can hold on until the election at this rate. I'm complaining but there are people who are barely getting ,and the rising price at the pump along with the rising costs and shrinking sizes at the food store will put them over the edge soon.

The thing that amazes me Frank is you expect it to get better after the election with a new president. Did that happen the last time or the time before that? No, and it will be no different now. The only thing that will change is who is reaping the profits. Nether party is for US, Joe Citizen, they are for those who bankrolled their campaigns and greased the right wheels to get them into office where they could manipulate the system to the benefit of their benefactors.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Welcome to my world! Remember all those rants I used to type? Why do you believe I'm always so angry on a daily basis?

Comment

It's actually got to the point where it's cheaper to eat out than stock the fridge and pantry.
                        sigpic

Comment

Great thread N posts Guys. I do all the food shopping and enjoy it.I love Costco. I buy bonless,skinless chicken. Great price N healthy food ! I'm up early N enjoy making My wife's Breakfast N lunch each day. We always do for each other. Scrambled eggs about $3.00 for 18 at costco! Reading BHD's Post reminds Me of My boyhood. Lotsa Love,chickens, big garden ,NO Money,No Plastic crap We didn't need anyway.Church every Sunday Rest of My time spent Breakin windows n streetlights with My homemade sling shot! "THEY'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE,I'M ON TOP OF THE WORLD MA!"
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If you live anywhere near a hospital, most of them have caffateria's that are open to the public. The meals are very inexpensive. I can't speak for quality though as it varies from hospital to hospital but the one I live near has some pretty darn good stuff. 4 people can eat dinner for about 20 bucks.

McDonalds. Have you noticed that a freeking "value" meal there will cost close to ten bucks? Ten bucks for a bag full of dog crap and a soda.
                            sigpic

Comment

If you drink water at a fast food joint you save big, and or most any eating place.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X