Hardest Decision

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardest Decision

As most of you know, I'm moving into a brand new home (next week) and for the last week and 3 hours last night, I was searching for a kitchen faucet for me. One would think it would be the easiest decision any Plumber could make, but I have to be honest and say, it was the hardest decision of my Plumbing life!

Why was I searching for a Kitchen faucet? The day I move in, laminate counter tops are coming out, along with the sink,faucet, & garbage disposal. It was nice knowing you, but your services will no longer be needed when I get in there.

I've always been a die-hard Moen fan..but I looked at every single manufacture known to Plumbing kind, and read every single spec sheet on the faucets I was interested in. In the end, I decided to go with a Grohe...and I can't believe that word is even coming out of my mouth.

IMO...the quality of a Grohe can't be beat. Yes they are a pain in the butt to work on, but I rarely have to work on them because they simply last.

For those of you who might be reading this thats looking for stainless steel undermount sink choices...hands down I went with a Julien. I saw and hooked up my first Julien sink a few months ago and my jaw absolutely dropped and I said to myself " No other manufacture can touch this". I used to think Blanco - Franke - Elkay had some high end stuff...Julien is simply amazing.

Now some here might do more high end kitchen installs than I do...so you guys might have a different opinion on stainless steel sinks.

It's been slow around here so...I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Re: Hardest Decision

Flux,
    In 5 or 10 years when the finish wears off or worse, will Grohe send you a new faucet at no charge?
    Moen will.
    Just asking.
    BTW, did the Grohe rep give you a free faucet for using your new kitchen as a showroom?
    My Moen rep did.
    Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
      Flux,
      In 5 or 10 years when the finish wears off or worse, will Grohe send you a new faucet at no charge?
      Moen will.
      Just asking.
      BTW, did the Grohe rep give you a free faucet for using your new kitchen as a showroom?
      My Moen rep did.
      Just saying.
      It seems as though Plumbers on the West Coast have faucet reps, we really don't do that here on the East Coast..or at least in my area. I'm sure somewhere around here we have faucets Reps. I can't tell you the last time I actually bought a kitchen or lav faucet to install from the supple house....maybe 10 years? 99.9% of my customers buy their own faucets and I install them. The only Rep we have is for our Boilers.

Grohe does offer a lifetime warranty on the finish...just don't know if they will actually send me a new faucet if an issue should arise, cause I've never ran across that problem yet. However, I do have a customer who has a LadyLux kitchen faucet that has a major finish problem due to being on a terrible well and not treating the water. According to grohe..that would be on the homeowner.

I hear what you're saying though...it was tough for me to stray from Moen. Moen doesn't play around when it comes to it's warranties like Kohler. Grohe is a pain in the butt with their receipts but I can live with that.

You're making me feel guilty now....stop it!

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post

You're making me feel guilty now....stop it!
        If you got exactly what you wanted, and are happy with what you have, don't feel guilty, and don't let the haters bring you down!
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

The kitchen faucet is the most used in the house. Put in what you like. Ten years is a long time to amortize such a purchase, even if you pay retail. It serves the plumbing contractor to reach out to the local faucet reps, especially if you move a lot of their product or even just repair them. Their insider knowledge and expedited access to parts is well worth the time given to get to know them. I don't think the Manufacturer's rep business is any different in PA then anywhere in the west. Due to the nature of their business, they tend to travel with the showroom crowd rather than plumbers. That said, my kitchen faucet is a Grohe and though it wasn't free, I did get it pretty cheap. And, when the hose developed a leak and the wand broke, the parts were sent gratis. It might just be my rep, butn I doubt it.

Comment

I remember when my father was doing strictly new work back in the day, he had a few Reps because he was moving a large volume of material. Today the only thing we are really buying from the supply house are pipe, toilets, water heaters etc. All of the small stuff we buy is through other outfits around the country.

I don't know, I just thought it was ridiculous of me to be so indecisive over a Kitchen faucet, when I've installed just about every brand. We as Plumbers should know better than anyone, but yet I struggled with that simple choice. I respect everyone's opinion on faucet brand, whether I agree with that choice or not. The majority of us here favor 1 of the 4 major brands anyways so... it's not all that bad. But I think we all can find 1 thing we hate about each faucet manufacturer on the market. As much as I love Moen, I can't stand their spray patterns.

The thing that bothered me the most was, I had to buy my faucet online because I saved $100.00 + versus the supply houses in my area. We have been hammering them over price for years, and now it seems as though it falls on deaf ears so...I took my money elsewhere on these purchases. I'm just worn out from saying the same thing over and over again about price to them.

Comment

On the surface, you'd think the plumber would know best. When you think about it, putting them in does not give us much knowledge on their day to day usefulness. Our experience can only tell us their ease of installation and hardiness.
              When plumbers lost fixtures and faucets to the retail stores, wholesalers trading with those plumbers lost out as well. As their sales went down, so did their discounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                On the surface, you'd think the plumber would know best. When you think about it, putting them in does not give us much knowledge on their day to day usefulness. Our experience can only tell us their ease of installation and hardiness
                So true, and I never really thought about it that way. I do think "water quality" plays a major role in the performance of a faucet.

Comment

Funny you brought this up, because we are replacing both lav tops and getting new faucets for them, and the kitchen will be next. The old faucets that have been there since the house was built in 87 are Grohe, and they have held up well and are still serviceable. I've only have to repair one and that was not long after we first moved in. I think the previous owner was one who cranked down too tight on them and wore the washers out. Not a problem since then and that's just over 13 years now.

So we looked at Moen, Kohler, and a couple others and also Grohe, and we've narrowed it down to two, one of which is from Grohe. So it may be Grohe again in the lavs. No decision yet on the kitchen faucet.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Funny you brought this up, because we are replacing both lav tops and getting new faucets for them, and the kitchen will be next. The old faucets that have been there since the house was built in 87 are Grohe, and they have held up well and are still serviceable. I've only have to repair one and that was not long after we first moved in. I think the previous owner was one who cranked down too tight on them and wore the washers out. Not a problem since then and that's just over 13 years now.

So we looked at Moen, Kohler, and a couple others and also Grohe, and we've narrowed it down to two, one of which is from Grohe. So it may be Grohe again in the lavs. No decision yet on the kitchen faucet.
                    It's nerve racking...aint it?

Comment

Flux you know as well as I do that you wasted way to much time on such an unimportant desition, Come on, it's a kitchen faucet.

they all need to get fixed eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                        Flux you know as well as I do that you wasted way to much time on such an unimportant desition, Come on, it's a kitchen faucet.

they all need to get fixed eventually.
                        I hear ya!

Comment

dang when I pay the heat bill I wish I put that kind of time into picking windows and insulation

Comment

I would go with the pre rinse spring style faucets. Don't know why I like those so much. I would also have a pot filler.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              I would go with the pre rinse spring style faucets. Don't know why I like those so much. I would also have a pot filler.
                              Ben...no lie..that was my original choice. (Grohe K7). I talked myself out of it, because I didn't know if the thing would get on my nerves after awhile or not. Vigo also makes a faucet that has a separate pot filler attach to it, but because it was an off brand I decided against it. I'm thinking about putting a deck mount pot filler in though.

Comment

Working...
                              X