X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candle-Powered LED Lantern

I just paid a visit to one of my favorite woodworking dealers and when I first saw this I had sort of a "are you kiddin' me?" moment! A "candle-powered" LED lamp? Isn't that sort of like having a coal-fired, electric heater?

Actually, it does look sort of neat, but I'm still left to wondering if this isn't a left over from April Fool's Day!

Anybody care to offer their opinion as to whether or not this is REAL? ( http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...,40731&p=68887 )

CWS

Re: Candle-Powered LED Lantern

Read attached link. Seems to be real!
    Generate electricity with a candle - Hack a Day

Comment

Thanks Franki,

I guess I just look at this as sort of gimicky. Sure it works and I have some understanding of the science behind it. I actually have one of those small "Peltier Effect" food cooler/heaters, which is pretty neat, though it takes some amperage to work.

But in the case of this lamp, there is far less energy contained in the candle than in, say, a rechargeable battery. The battery can be recharge and is significantly more compact and less dangerous and perhaps even less poluting (if you're inside a small building, camper, or tent). This particular lamp is a bit of an odditiy and certainly a conversation piece, but from a pratical point of view, I think I'd prefer a small, rechargeable and maybe even a solar-powered charger or hand-generator lamp.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

CWS, I agree with you that this seems like backwards engineering. I got away from candles for emergency lighting and think it's absurd to use one to power an LED lantern. I'm sure somewhere there is a coal burning machine that powers a air filtering machine

Comment

It seeems to me that the reasoning behind using a candle to power LED lighting is the fact most of the energy given off by a candle is heat. So by harnessing that thermal energy, more visable light can be given off with the proper converter.
          In comparason, incandecent lamps only give off 9% of the energy expended as visable light, the rest is simply heat.

Still, in an emergancy, such a device can give out more light using a candle than a candle can by itself. Have to admit, it is pretty clever.

Comment

This is an awesomely cool find! I think Tailgunner got it right. The unit uses temperature differential to create the electricity. The candle has much more potential heat energy than a battery. Although Frankiearms' link shows someone that made one using a cell phone battery. I'm not really sure how that would work. Either way, I'm having to discipline myself not to click that GIVE ME ONE button!!! I camp lots and this kind of thing would be (if it really works) impressively awesome at camp. Maybe I can talk one of my fellow campers into this purchase...hmmmm...
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If you go to Lee Valleys site and do an item search for April Fools you'll not find this on the list that comes up so I think it's real. Pretty neat actually and I'm not one bit surprised that Lee Valley offers it. I mean where else can you buy these.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

This gives a whole new meaning to "Candle light dinners".

Comment

This is for VASandy or anyone who enjoys camping or needs a great emergency light. I bought one as a gift for the technician who always does the M.R.I. exams for my wife. He and his sons go camping often with the boy scouts. I gave it a try the night before we gave it to him and it is impressive. You can adjust the brightness of the light as well as focus the beam from a wide flood to spotlight. Couldn't get the picture but it is a headlight. Paid $38 on ebay. Manufacturer is Coast-H7

The LED LENSER H7 Headfirelight features 170 lumen's of focus-able light that last up to 55 hours ( 55hrs (low) 5h (high) from standard AAA batteries. The H7 Headfire is not only superior in power efficiency, lasting much longer than a traditional bulb on the same battery
                  Features:

Brightness – Lumens 170
                  Working time: 55h (low) 5h (high)
                  One-handed Speed-Focus
                  Focus: Spot / Flood
                  Max beam distance: 160m
                  Beam colour: White
                  Operates on 3 x standard AAA Batteries (included)
                  Comes complete with batteries, carry pouch

Package Includes(with original box packaging):Headlamp x 1
                  Belt Pouch x 1
                  Led Lenser Battery x 3
                  Operation Manual x 1

The LED LENSER H7 Headfirelight features 170 lumen's of focus-able light that last up to 55 hours ( 55hrs (low) 5h (high) from standard AAA batteries. The H7 Headfire is not only superior in power efficiency, lasting much longer than a traditional bulb on the same battery

Features:

Brightness – Lumens 170
                  Working time: 55h (low) 5h (high)
                  One-handed Speed-Focus
                  Focus: Spot / Flood
                  Max beam distance: 160m
                  Beam colour: White
                  Operates on 3 x standard AAA Batteries (included)
                  Comes complete with batteries, carry pouch

Package Includes(with original box packaging):Headlamp x 1
                  Belt Pouch x 1
                  Led Lenser Battery x 3
                  Operation Manual x 1

Comment

Working...
                  X