Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Home Depot Gift Cards - anyone has first hand experience to share? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot Gift Cards - anyone has first hand experience to share?

On Ebay and Craigslist there are often gift cards of Home Depot or Lowes for sale.

$500 gift card for $420 or $250 gift card for $175.00 etc...

I have done some searches and there seem to be some scams where people were taken, but I was wondering if those were rules or exceptions.

Anyone ever bought a gift card at a significant discount and came out ahead?

Re: Home Depot Gift Cards - anyone has first hand experience to share?

If its too good to be true, it probably is.

It's my guess that those gift cards sold at a discount are bought with embezzled money. If they themselves bought the gift card, they could return it for a full refund. I once had somebody approach me at Home De pot asking me of I would pay him cash for something at the register (at a discount) and he would pay HD with a gift card. I respectfully declined.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I am not sure a full refund is possible unless someone has the receipt for the gift card.

More often than not, someone bought something at HD, and wanted to return it when the materials was not used or have left over. I know some contractors order materials but the client paid for directly and when they finished the job they wanted to return what's unused, but without receipts. Home Depot or Lowes would not refund without receipt, but will issue a gift card with equivalent value as store credits. Or could be customers that actually have lost receipts for an expensive item.

But it's hit and miss, and I don't know how many hits versus how many misses.

Comment

I hear Las Vegas is nice this time of year. I would rather take my chances there than gamble on buying a Gift Card through eBay. Craigslist might be a different story if you could agree to meet at HD and double check the value of the card before making payment.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Yeah, some dude in a parking lot offers to sell you a $100 bill for $75.
          Really?
          I guess that's fine if you're into collecting vintage Monopoly money.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I would guess that most of these "gift cards" are actually in-store credits from returned product. I would also hazard to guess that many of them are credits of stolen items. Shoplifters discovered that they can make more by selling the cards than the product itself.

Also, gift cards can not be returned for cash even if you have the receipt unless your state has a law requiring it. You can never "return" an in-store credit for cash, nor can you use them to buy gift cards or pay your HD credit card.
            Last edited by cjh20; 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Yes eBay I would not consider, but CL from a local source may be legit.

Also my way of thinking, if it's a gift card for $138.42 it sounds more legit then a card for an even $500.

Comment

I bought a futureshop gift card once, from a poster online. He returned a PS3 or something he received as a gift (no receipt for it I guess). He went to the store and had CS print a receipt telling the amount of the card (about 300.00). I called and checked the balance while he stood in my kitchen to verify. No problem.

I wouldn't buy online - it would need to be a face to face interaction.

Comment

Working...
                X