X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your computer

I read this article in this mornings paper.

Is Your Computer Infected?

To summarize, hackers gained control of personal computers. The FBI busted them but had to set up servers to keep the infected computers on-line. Most people infected do not realize they are actually going through these servers. The FBI is shutting down these servers, so they are trying to get people to check if they are infect by going to www.dcwg.org.

At the site click "DETECT". On the next page select your language. A new page will open up telling you if you are infected.

Perhaps it is old news, but I have not heard of it before today.

Re: Check your computer

Thanks for the information and link. My computer is not infected but when I went online this morning I found 684 "mailer daemons" in my inbox to an address that I did not send. Changed my password which is something we should all do regularly. Frank

Comment

Franki,

I had that happen to be a few months ago. I've been on the Internet since before there was a so-called "Web". My first computer was an Atari 800 (1978) and we used it with a 300-baud, phone-cradle. My son ordered his first stereo system thru Illinois Audio via FTP protocal. I was on Dow-Jones, Prodigy, GEnie, and even "The Source". Finally, I was one of the first AOL members (when that number was only something like 20,000 of us) and we used the GEOS system because "Windows" wasn't around yet.

In all that time, I never had a virus until last October, and that came in via an automatic Windows Vista upgrade. Since then I've been clobbered quite regularly and I'm at a point where I don't think it ever was a virus... just Microsoft screwin' all their customers over with ill thought-out and poorly executed operating system upgrades that knock out older software functions. And of course there are the ample security holes that an ever growing number of Microsoft haters are able to exploit.

So far, I've lost the following programs thanks to these "upgrades":

Microsoft Office Pro 2000
      Music Match line-in recorder
      PaperPort document scanning software
      TextBridge OCR
      My Fax modem software
      Power Producer video editing software
      Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 (though these folks worked with me to get it back up and running and we upgraded to the 2012 edition)

Now, I'm running System Mechanic and Kaspersky 2012... no problems, no virus, no malware; BUT, I'm apprehensive as hell when Microsoft tells me they are updating their Vista operating system. I hear that Windows 7 is even worse.

BTW, one must be very diligent about the usage of passwords. Some of us have a tendency to just use one or two well-remembered labels and we might use them at several different web sites. Unfortunately if you do that, and any one of those sites are breached, then the culprits have your e-mail address (thanks to cookies) and the password that you used to there. Then they check your e-mail with that particular password and if that is "shared" then they have access to your mailing list... and automatically everyone on that list gets sent all kinds of nasty e-mail... IN YOUR NAME.

So, don't use the same password at more than one web site and keep your e-mail password unique. Also, keep your "address book" sub-catagorized. It is usually only the top-level addresses that get copied.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks CWS. I've been using free Malwarebytes, antimalware and avast to protect my computer. Downloaded them free from majorgeeks.com.

Comment

Never had a Malware or virus on any of my coputers and never will around November each year I go out and buy the new Norton Internet Security and run the disk on my computer

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            Never had a Malware or virus on any of my coputers and never will around November each year I go out and buy the new Norton Internet Security and run the disk on my computer

Tony
            Tony, I'm glad that works for you but in my case Norton gave me nothing but headaches. Programs wouldn't run correctly amonst other issues. Once I stopped using Norton all my troubles disappeared.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Tony, I'm glad that works for you but in my case Norton gave me nothing but headaches. Programs wouldn't run correctly amonst other issues. Once I stopped using Norton all my troubles disappeared.
              Me too. It was many years ago, but Norton gave me fits.
              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I had the same problem with Norton "System Works"... just way too much overhead, the program consumes so much of the operating RAM that it causes the system to crash.

For awhile, I was running McKafee which was provided free as part of the AOL "Security Issue" at the time. But like Norton, it too caused a lot of problems. There was no control on the updates nor on when it wanted to do a "maximum" system check, which included a full scan on the hard drive EVERY single day. You'd boot up the computer and expect to get some work done and McKafee would just overwhelm your system and you couldn't accomplish anything else.

I was just running Malwarebytes, but I think last October's Vista update took that out and I got clobbered. Malwarebytes was a very good program otherwise, but it's NOT really an anti-virus. I've had great luck over the last nine months with Kaspersky. Not only does it do a great job of protecting the system, but the updates are almost transparent and desktop "system health" indicators let me know constantly what's going on. While that alone is a big advantage over McKafee and Norton (no crashes with Kaspersky), they also have active and friendly "live person" support. Only drawback with "K" is that it isn't compatible with Malwarebytes, but it does the same thing so no sense in duplicating.

I do run Iolo's System Mechanic also. That monitors system clutter, corrupt files, and registry entries, etc. Between System Mechanic and Kaspersky I feel pretty well protected and my laptop is running better than ever... but, neither one of these programs can protect Vista updates from negating older software which Microsoft ignores the functionality of. To me, it's like having an old car and truck that you love both the utility of and thier usefulness... but today's change in the gasoline formula renders useless. (No other industry in the world is like that... just the Microsoft operating system business.)

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post

Norton is the worst CPU hogging, conflicting antivirus software you can get

Comment

"Suspended pending termination!" That was the message I got late last night because someone hacked my email and sent out spam! The technician in india told me it could take 24 to 36 hours to resolve. This afternoon I spoke to a real American technician who gave it a try but was unsuccessful at resetting my passwords. Finally a couple hours later another American (nice young lady) got me back. They said hackers can grab your information and send spam regardless of your protection? I use maleware antibytes and Avast. The best advice they gave me was to not stay signed in for an extended period and change passwords every couple months. I got a headache from being on the phone trying to get the computer probelm resolved along with one of my cable boxes going out and my health insurance provider suddenly wanting to verify that I'm really married and the father of my daughters. It was less stressful digging telephone pole holes, how I miss the old days. Frank

Comment

Franki,

I understand!!!

Wasn't it this "problem" that we were talking about just a few weeks ago? I think we've all dug ourselves this really big hole and now that we're in it, we're stuck and there's no way out of it. We've come to rely on this computer things so much, got the electronic piece of plastic stuck to our ears, and begin to panic when we can't tell our family and friends how much toilet paper we just used to wipe our butts. Never in the history of mankind have so many, depended on so much, and accomplished so little at an almost untold cost.

Even the industry itself is built on some sort of a "pyramid", offer product that is ever changing... all because "sales" and "change" for the sake of sales is the only way that this trillion-$ business can continue to sustain itself. It's all crazy and I fear one day we'll get a massive solar EMI surge and the whole world will come to a crashing halt. No bombs, no solar flare or atomic holocaust that will scorch our planet to a cinder.... just one over charge of the ionisphere that will will render the electronic circuit dead. No more communications, no digital nothings, no electronic calculations, or power switching, or digital relays.... just electronic silence... and we'll all just panic and commence the annialation of each other out of fear.

Can you remember to days when you were a kid, or a young working stud and you just clocked in, got told where you were going that day and what you were going to do and you just muscled it out. You knew the wife was at home cleaning the place and thinking about what to make you for dinner, and you knew the kids were sitting in class listening to thier teacher and paying attention to what she was writing with chalk on the blackboard? And maybe you were giving some thought to actually reading a bedtime story to the girls, and maybe having that glass of wine afterwards with the wife, before you two jumped between the sheets? Or maybe it was night for Monoply with the family or perhaps you were looking forward to just settling in with a good book.

No texting, no computer, no internet, no worry about getting clobbered with the latest virus, or having to upgrade your software, or check the status of your wireless phone bill or receiving far too many text messages about nothing.

CWS

Comment

Ah CWS, the yin and yang or it all. Life was much less complicated but there was no keeping it simple, no holding back the electronic revolution and everything it brought us. I had an upsetting day but I also have had many more enjoyable days of interacting with the good folks here and watching all sorts of programming on cable. I get annoyed by how complicated the complications become, for example that cable converter box. My older style converter box can be hooked up, powered and be ready for use within 5 minutes, the new one goes through at least six or seven stages of uploading software, and internal programming before finally being ready for use.

Tonight I'll spend some time on the Internet, and spend some time watching tv. I would prefer to help my daughters with their homework, or some school project, and then spend some precious time exchanging intimacy with my loving wife. Alas, my daughters are in college, and law school, and my wife is tired, older, and past those times of passion. I guess I'm lucky to have the electronics, and the occassional annoyance they bring, things could be a lot worse. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post

Tony
                          I certainly hope that you don't get a virus, but having Norton (or any other defense) isn't always enough. The virus (or whatever) that I first posted about was undetected by many defenses and by its very nature kept the computers from receiving the updates that would have detected it. Eventually 50% of the fortune 500 companies and almost 50% or the US government computers were infected - pretty sure that some of those have better protection than you and I.

Comment

Working...
                          X