Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flawed 14 Gallon Professional Wet/Dry Vac? Am I the only one?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flawed 14 Gallon Professional Wet/Dry Vac? Am I the only one?

Hey guys I am no vac pro but having and air tight seal between the cap and the drum when you have the clamps closed a good thing?

Currently when I lift my vac from the handle there is a space of about 1/4" that opens up between the cap and drum where the maybe missing rubber gasket should be???

Is anyone else having this issue or does this seem perfectly normal to think in a suction process it would be a good idea to have an air tight seal but even when the clamps are engaged I can lift it to get that 1/4" gap...

I sent an e-mail to support regarding this hoping to get some help.

Let me know if its just me or some design flaw....

Re: Flawed 14 Gallon Professional Wet/Dry Vac? Am I the only one?

N/m guys I realized I purchased a cheap product and I am not the only one with this issue, goes for the cheap smaller vacs too. Going to take it back.
    for $200.00 you would expect a gasket seal to keep the suction in....
    Disappointing oh well.

Comment

Unless you plan on spending over 300 bucks for a shop vac, good luck finding one that seals up. Plus, if you use the bags, there is no point in it sealing. Another point, its a vacuum, it creates a vacuum inside the canister, try lifting the vacuum lid when its running, I have a hard time thinking you will break that top from the canister as long as the filter is clean. Even if it opened, its going to suck in air, not blow it out. If it bothers you that much, you could put a cheap door/window self stick seal around the cap to seal it up, but really, its pointless.

Comment

oh, and by the way, between myself, brothers and my dad, our family owns 8 Ridgid shop vacs, one of them is 8 years old and they get used all the time and all still work as good as they did from day one. Ridgid vacuums are a great vacuum and are pretty inexpensive as well. We even own one of the 399.00 HEPA vacuums (that one has a seal in it, but it has to per regulations). Calling a shop vac flawed because it doesnt seal up on the cap is outragous. One of our contractors has one of the "Shopvac" brand units, its absoulte junk, doesnt suck worth crap even with a new filter, but hey, the top is kind of tight....

Comment

Max,

I agree with Alphacowboy, in that I have two 12-gallon Ridgid vacs from 2005 and one 9-gallon Ridgid vac that I purchased in 2010 and they all work great.
          The 12-gal units are have been used extensively (my only dust collection for my woodshop) and one has been used quite a bit for wet pickup too. I also a couple of the little Stinger vacs which are real debris hogs, used to pick up all kinds of nasty stuff, including drywall dust. None of them have rubber seals!

As pointed out, the tops are loose on the two 12-gallon vacs and that surely is an annoyance, as they definitely spill dust when you pick them up to move them or try to carry them. But in use, the seal caused by the very efficient vacuum makes the top fit with absolutely NO leaks. Still, that dust leak when carrying is an annoyance. I haven't tried the "bags" yet, but that may be some solution, so thanks to Alpha for mentioning that.

Now, I have a couple of old "dead" Craftsman vacs from way back in the 70's... they don't have any seals either; but the tops fit very tightly. But, they fit so tight that the latch releases eventually broke off and then the things were worthless. I like my Ridgid vacs much better than those.

Sorry that you expect more and aren't happy, but the vacs do what they are supposed to do and the prices aren't exorbitant IMHO.

CWS

Comment

Champagne and caviar dreams on a Pabst Blue Ribbon budget, there is your problem right there...
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

a vac that sucks is a good vac

i have more vacs than i can count on both hands. they get used from everything from metal dust and grit, sewage, mud and concrete cutting slurry. none have failed and they still suck

even my $20.00 bucket head vacs are work horses.

now if the vac doesn't make a seal when it's running, then you have a real issue. if it's loose when it's off, not sure if that's a flaw or a design

have you checked at h.d to see if the display model is the same?

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I have a $30.00 small wet vac I use for sucking toilets out, that I bought 15 years ago from craftsman, and it's still going strong. It's loud now....but still works.

Comment

Called up CS rep explained the issue they are aware of it... So I have to go out and buy some weather stripping. Little help contacting Ridgid.

I support every ones ideals in how they like their Ridgid tools, I have a lot my self. So no contest because being a pipe welder I love the pipe stands they have, well built and don't break. This changes my view of Ridgid, it is not hard for them to make a product that is not flawed.

Every good wet/dry vac has a gasket and NOTE: when lifting it I don't have to deal with a clunking noise because of the 1/4 gap that is created when lifting it.

I like quality tools that I don't have to go to the store and buy flawed only to be told by Ridgid CS to go buy weather stripping. So if this is what Ridgid calls A $200.00 I won't because their $300.00 is probably not that different.

Comment

The ridgid HEPA vac does have a rubber gasket and it does not have any gap, but its 399.99. Sorry if we are not sympathetic to your complaint, but I really don't understand the big deal, its not like it blows dust and leaks when in use. The top being loose is kinda annoying I guess, but it never really bothers me or anyone that uses our vacuums. I mean, what do you want ridgid to do, send you a couple bucks to cover some weather stripping?

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                      I mean, what do you want ridgid to do, send you a couple bucks to cover some weather stripping?
                      You mean send you a few dollars so you can go buy some Diet Pepsi instead of the weather stripping?
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                        You mean send you a few dollars so you can go buy some Diet Pepsi instead of the weather stripping?
                        Haha, about right.

Comment

Working...
                        X