X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good LED flashlight?

I still have a dumb old flashlight that takes incandescent bulbs, and it usually ends up dying or being really dim when we need bright light. Plus, if the batteries are weak, I get a short time of usage, not handy for power outages. I picked up a few cheap LED ones at the auto parts store, but they take AAA batteries and the switch is real cheap.

I'm looking for a good flashlight that can take AA batteries, is made of metal, and has good quality. It would be nice if it was very bright and durable. I don't need one of those "tactical" ones they sell for $80...just something quality in the 30-40 range.

Anyone recommend a good brand that has served them well?

Re: What's a good LED flashlight?

This is the one we carry on all of our trucks since it is rechargeable from a cigarette lighter. Not just super super bright but works good as a quick grab on the trucks.

Comment

from AMAZON.COM

Product Details
      TerraLUX TLF-3002AA-OR LightStar300 3-Watt LED Aluminum Flashlight, High Visibility Orange by TerraLUX
      You should see 250-300 lumens on high. It also has a dim mode too for even longer battery life.
      This has a wide flood type beam good when working "under the hood"

Buy new : $54.99 $29.98 [typical $30.00 free shipping]

19 new
      Get it by Friday, Apr 27 if you order in the next 4 hours and choose one-day shipping.
      (10)
      Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 Extreme LED Upgrade for Mini Maglite 2AA Flashlight by TerraLUX
      Buy new : $23.96 $15.99 [typical $16.00]

39 new
      Get it by Friday, Apr 27 if you order in the next 3 hours and choose one-day shipping.
      (100)
      Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

The TERRALUX mini-mag AA flashlight upgrade is excellent.
      You will have the durability of a mini-mag flashlight, about 140 lumens [very bright]
      and excellent battery run time over ten to twenty hours on two AA batteries!

I think these two lights are what you're looking for and won't kill the budget

Cactus Man

Comment

Joe, flashlights are sort of a hobby of mine and I've learned a lot from "candlepowerforums.com
        This led flashlight is very good quality with different brightness levels and runs on 2xAA batteries.
        There are many similar flashlights by several different companies for around the same price. I suggest you find one that will take rechargeable AA batteries. You can pick up some "precharged" NIMH AA batteries and charger from Walmart and avoid constantly buying and throwing away batteries.
        4Sevens Quark Mini AA^2 R5 Edition - 4sevens-store

That Terralux Cactusman posted sounds very good, here is a video of it in action. Decent price as well.
        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-26-2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Joe,

I'm not really into "flashlights", but do appreciate a decent light that is long lasting. I've got several LED lights and love them for there longevity and brightness, though none of them through a really long "beam". One of my favorites is the Ryobi TEK-4, which uses their 4-Volt Li-Ion rechargeable which is sold separately. With both light and battery (including charger), I think you're looking at around $25.

The TEK4 light has six LEDs which are quite bright, and a strong earth-magnet. Works nicely when I'm doing electrical work as you can usually find a place to stick it and then rotate the light head to focus on the box. This thing is impact, water, and dust resistant and has either a 2- or 3-year warranty. A bit unconventional in it's shape, but it just seems to last and last and last between charges.

Ryobi Lighting :: LED Job Site Utility Light

Perhaps different than what you are looking for, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

CWS

Comment

this is my everyday led light. i have 5 of them and after everyday use and abuse they last me about a year before the head breaks off. but in that year they are excellant and for $20.00 i can't complain.
            Ryobi TEK4

i also own the big brother to this and it's $50.00 with battery and charger. along with the magnetic one that cws has posted about.

my go to one is the $20.00 one plus a battery and charger.

but the big brother comes out when it's time to shine and blind.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I love my Ridgid 18v LED flashlights! I especially love the one that comes in the X4 kit over the one that came in the fuego kit prior to the CFL light. If you already have 18v Ridgid batteries I strongly recommend these lights. I can get over 2 work days/20 hours out of one of these lights with a large battery pack. Milwaukee also sells a LED conversion bulb for 18v lights that will convert your old style light to LED. One day I will cough up the $40 and let you know how it works!
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Finding a flashlight that will be everything for everyone's needs is very difficult. The battery specific worklights are very good for what they do but are limited by the batteries they use. In the event of a power outage, a flashlight that uses more readily available batteries such as AA or D seems more practical. The worklight allows for hands free use but is bulky. I think the one or two AA LED light is a decent compromise for inspection and power outages depending on it's variable functions. Rechargeable AA batteries are not expensive and give good service. Wheter you opt for a lithium ion workight, or AA or other battery flashlight, the upgrade to LED provides much greater run times, better light output and years of service without the need to replace bulbs.

Comment

the mag lite led lights are great, they are in expensive duraable and batteries last for ever in them, i got mine at home depot 2 years ago as a 2 pack kit, 1 2 d cell full size and 1 2 aa cell mini mag for about $20 or so, they still have the same batteries i put in the 2 years ago, i may not use them evey day but they do get used often, i would say 5-6 hours of use a month since i bought them.

for the money it is hard to beat
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

They are expensive compared to others (~$110+ship for rechargeable and charger), but for me the streamlight survivors are worth it. In my mind it's kind of like Ridgid cameras... yeah, overpriced, but just plain better.

C4 LED Survivor Flashlights from Streamlight from SWPS.com

I also have one of these which I got kind of just because, and now I can't live w/o it.

Icon Headlamp 2011 - Lighting - Headlamps, Camping Lanterns, Headlamp Light // Black Diamond - Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd.
                    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Surefire Beast Rechargeable Flashlight at Victorinox Stores Inc.

Enough said.

[/thread]

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                        $4,160 i don't think anyone needs light that bad, holy crap
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have a Mini Mag on my belt, and have for years, and a cheapo Craftsman rechargeable LED drop light on the truck.

Comment

i still say this is a deal.

LED 3D-2AA Combo Light Pack-SX3401R at The Home Depot

i use this one alot also, and the feet are magnetic, and alot stonger then you think it would be.

JOBY GorillaTorch - Hands-free flashlight with flexible, bendable and magnetic feet- CREE flashlight
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

[QUOTE=tailgunner;375264]Surefire Beast Rechargeable Flashlight at Victorinox Stores Inc.

Enough said.

I just fell off my seat. God damn, does it do the job for you as well as shine light on the subject

Comment

Working...
                              X