X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Hobby - Screwing With Telemarketer

I have had it! I am so tired of their calls yet they keep coming. Sunday I had three calls on three separate lines within minutes. It was an auto-dialer from a call center in Ventura. After turning them down twice I finally agreed to let then give an estimate for a driveway. They must have sold the lead to a contractor in Los Angeles. I already have 2-estimates for my driveway, $4,700 and $7,600. Their estimate was $18,000 so I should him the door.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: My New Hobby - Screwing With Telemarketer

Try registering on the national do not call list. It can't hurt. Even that's not a guarantee because non profits and political groups are exempt.
    http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/do-not-call-list
    https://www.donotcall.gov/
    http://oag.ca.gov/donotcall
    what the hey, might as well do them all

Having a phone that displays incoming caller is also helpful.

BTW, Mark: Check your private messages.
    Last edited by Plumbus; 05-07-2012, 03:59 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=ToUtahNow;375513]I have had it! I am so tired of their calls yet they keep coming. Sunday I had three calls on three separate lines within minutes. It was an auto-dialer from a call center in Ventura. After turning them down twice I finally agreed to let then give an estimate for a driveway. They must have sold the lead to a contractor in Los Angeles. I already have 2-estimates for my driveway, $4,700 and $7,600. Their estimate was $18,000 so I should him the door.

Mark[/QUOT

Do you have a problem with your door too?

Do

Comment

I'm registered with all of the no not call lists.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
          I and the whole world are in Your Boat. I'll vote for Whomever eliminates these calls.
          Driveway , Dimensions, Demo material, new material. Have 2 new est. books
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The biggest problem with telemarketing enforcement is that the fine for violating the no call list is probably about 10,000 times too small. The technology already in place would make it very simple to determine if a company did or did not violate the list so enforcement would be a no brainer. Hand out a few $500,000.00 first offense fines and I guarantee the problem will go away. I'm with Mark on this one, I'm sick of these, what I consider harassing, calls and something should be done about them.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I've filed hundreds of complaints with the government do not call list site, but I stopped because someone said they don't take action until there are a million complaints! I refuse to answer my phone unless I know who is calling, so I screen them with my answering machine when I'm home. I think in some cases you can be drawn into their scam just by answering. I feel there should be some law to prosecute these people for distrubing your privacy at home. Why have the gov't do not call list if it serves no purpose. Anyone know if it's true that telemarketers must pay a fee to subscribe to the list so many do not bother? I feel the same way about my e-mail privacy, why should I have to delete all those spam messages?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                I've filed hundreds of complaints with the government do not call list site, but I stopped because someone said they don't take action until there are a million complaints! I refuse to answer my phone unless I know who is calling, so I screen them with my answering machine when I'm home. I think in some cases you can be drawn into their scam just by answering. I feel there should be some law to prosecute these people for distrubing your privacy at home. Why have the gov't do not call list if it serves no purpose. Anyone know if it's true that telemarketers must pay a fee to subscribe to the list so many do not bother? I feel the same way about my e-mail privacy, why should I have to delete all those spam messages?
                Why have the Govt' bla bla bla if it serves no purpose. Fill in the blanks! It does serve a purpose
                It creates income ,and pensions for useless layabouts that could never produce a product,or grow a vegetable !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

just had a "contractor" call me minutes ago. said they will be in the neighborhood giving estimates.

told them stop by with dinner for me

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    just had a "contractor" call me minutes ago. said they will be in the neighborhood giving estimates.

told them stop by with dinner for me

rick.
                    What was the estimate for a chocolate milkshake? $50.00??

Comment

I LOVE my bluetooth earpiece. I just let them talk while I keep working. Then I start asking them questions. 'Where are you located? How's your weather been? How much do you get paid for this? I've heard a lot of telemarketing is done fom jails... Are you in prison? What for? You sound like a halfway intelligent person... How did you get stuck doing this crap job?' etc etc etc. If they piss me off a lot and I have the time, I'll ask them strings of really detailed questions about whatever they are selling, and get right up to giving them a credit card number, and then start laughing at them and telling them how stupid they are and ha ha, you just wasted 15 min and didn't sell a THING.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I feel the same way as Mark. I have a machine called the Globalinx Personal Communicator that I find quite effective. It will screen calls and only allow calls based on certain rules. Most regular calls get through once the caller hears a greeting message (like an answering machine). You can also allow "invited" callers who can get through without hearing the welcome message and "blocked" callers who cannot get though at all - the machine will hang up on them.

The machine needs caller ID from your service provider to work. In addition to unique numbers you can also block based on wildcards such as 1-800-xxx-xxxx. Since most telemarketers use 800 or 877 type numbers you can block out lots of calls.

I have not been bothered by these people for several years now.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark

Mark, music to our ears downunder. We thought you guys were exempt from the pain in the butt to use a polite term little turds. I had one today who congratulated me and told me my phone was going to be even better come Monday morning as he was going to look after me.
                          What kills me is that they thrive on abuse. Thye are dumb. I once had a chinese sheila ring me 8 times in a row becasue I kept making noises saying I couldnt hear her then hanging up. A bit of fun but enough is enough. Going to have to start talking dirty with them. Maybe their religion will force them to hang up. mind you feel a bit for them cos they are trying to feed families, or at least some are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            Then I start asking them questions. 'Where are you located? How's your weather been? How much do you get paid for this? I've heard a lot of telemarketing is done fom jails... Are you in prison? What for? You sound like a halfway intelligent person... How did you get stuck doing this crap job?' etc etc etc.
                            A friend says when he's pestered by female telemarketers, his favorite question to them is "Are you wearing panties?"
                            Definite conversation ender.

Comment

Great news, in a follow up call, the offered me 40% off. Now they are only $6,100 too expensive.

Here is a sample of their reviews I found.

----

Stay away from this place! They called me claiming that I had spoken to them about repainting the exterior of my house and when I told them I had not spoken to anyone from their company and asked how they got my number they avoided the question. They then asked me if I was who I said I was, and if I wanted to do any work on my house, and I said yes and no, I am who I told you and I don't want to do any work, and the representative started SCREAMING at me "If you're not who you say you are how do you expect me to listen to you? Give me [my name]!" and I said "I am [my name]!" and he said that I had said I wasn't me and the whole time I kept telling him to take me off of their list and he refused, screaming at me that I wasn't who I said I was and that we had spoken about painting my house. All in all incredibly rude and unprofessional, I would never go there and if I wasn't afraid of getting into another unnecessarily heated phone argument I'd call back and request again to be taken off of their list.

----

Telemarketers That WON'T Take No for an Answer!!!

Gold Remodeling also known as the Home Design Center has been calling me for months PUSHING contracting work I don't need. I have repeatedly asked them to stop but they just ignore me. I have reminded them I am on the Do Not Call List, but they just keep calling. They called me using a person with a Rough inner city accent, dialect, or brogue demanding to come to my house. Their strategy is to gain your confidence by chatting you up and then talking their way into your house. When they talk they make it sound like all you have to do to get FREE contracting work is to Let Them Into Your Home. They target senior citizens and the feebleminded, people that can't say NO or call the POLICE. Your NOT in good hand with gold remodeling, the Home Design Center, or whatever they call themselves!!!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X