Response from Breyers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Response from Breyers

A few days ago I wrote to the folks at unilever who make Breyer's icecream. I was complaining about the addition of "tara gum" to their icecream. The form letter response did not address my concerns and I responded once again. They add this "natural" product to maintain a creamy texture in the event it defrosts and refreezes. I have many concerns regarding the additives in my food and while I know icecream is not a healthy addition to my diet, I prefer it contain just the basics. I told them the tara gum may be found in nature but that does not mean it belongs in the human body. While researching information on tara gum I discovered that a common thickener "carrageenan" can cause Cancer! I wonder how many folks have gotten sick and died over the last thirty or so years as more and more additves have found their way into our foods?

Yes, it's great to prevent spoilage, and improve taste, and texture, but at what cost? God knows what toll all these additives have taken on our health, and now with genetically modified foods the future is even more uncertain. Funny how the gourmet icecreams contain very few ingredients and yet cost several times more than the Frankenstein versions. All this reminds me how the less processed diesel fuel cost more than gasoline, guess it comes down to demand? Frank

Re: Response from Breyers

I'm glad you take the time to read the labels on the foods you buy and I applaud you for that as most don't. The solution is quite simple though, if you see an ingredient listed on the label that causes you concern, don't buy the product. Trust me, if enough people do that they will make some changes to their ingredients.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

i don't drink smoke or do drugs, and have not since 2006........... buuuuuut i am completely addicted to coke cola, not kidding either, i drink 2-3 litters of this crap aday........... every day.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
        i don't drink smoke or do drugs, and have not since 2006........... buuuuuut i am completely addicted to coke cola, not kidding either, i drink 2-3 litters of this crap aday........... every day.
        Most folks have some bad habit and if that's yours, it could be worse. I guess there are ways to reduce your intake of coke if it's bothering you. My wife and I used to drink a can a day but it seemed to bother our guts so we stopped. I have heard the diet soda is really worse for your health even though the sugar in the regular one really adds up.

I remember going to soda fountains when I was young and they would pump a few squirts of coke syrup into a tall glass then hit it with the seltzer water. The coke back then, even out of a bottle seemed to have more taste, a nice flavor. I don't get that nowadays.

Comment

Breyers is my favorite ice cream.

Comment

I don't care for Breyers and I stopped buying it years ago. When the stuff melts it's like the consistancy of milk. I do have to agree though that as far as added ingredients like nuts or berries (for those flavors), the quantity and quality was excellent. Around here it is comparatively high priced. Of course I'm not supposed to be eating ice cream anyway.

I am definitely a reader of ingredients and nutritional information. It is shocking the amount of sugar that so many of these so-called "healthy" and "natural" foods seem to be packed with, especially "cereals". "Natural" of course does NOT mean "healthy" and I think everyone really needs to understand that, especially if they are overweight, diabetic, or have other health and/or dietary concerns.

Franki, I think you do every consumer a favor when you and other consumers take the time and have the concern to "read" and understand the contents of what you are buying; AND, then are serious enough about your feelings to bring it to the attention of others... especially the manufacturer. If more people were like you, I'm sure we wouldn't be having as many problems with our food supply and in the food industry that we do. People need to complain more about the quality and the content of some of the junk that they are pushing on us.

Good show and thanks for posting this,

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 05-08-2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

It's not just sugar (sucrose), high-fructose corn syrup is also making it's presence unavoidable in many foods, both liquid and solid.
              The facts about corn sweetener

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                Breyers is my favorite ice cream.
                I enjoyed it for many years but it bothers me that they added this ingredient. The other major brands like Friendlys, Turkey Hill and Edy's all have guar gum and carrageenan. If I want to eat icecream that is just milk, cream, egg yolks and sugar I have to spend three times as much for half the size or make it myself. I know this may all seem like a lot about nothing to some folks, but I am concerned about how all these other ingredients affect our health over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  I am concerned about how all these other ingredients affect our health over the years.
                  If your really like Breyers, I wouldn't worry about the recent added ingredient at your stage of life Frank. I don't think eating tara gum is going to do you in. Your grand children, on the other hand, should heed your warning.

Comment

Working...
                  X