The Lesser of Two Evils

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lesser of Two Evils

I resist change more as I get older and just want some things to stay the same. We got a letter in the mail that our Internet service through AT&T was going to change in a few weeks and would require new equipment. I called to find out the rate after 12 months and then called my cable tv provider to ask their price for Internet. I find it commical to be quoted a low price for the first year because my bottom line is the cost long term. Well, we are staying with AT&T, and the price will go up a few dollars after 12 months. I think I'll have the last laugh when the world ends next December

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils

Oh Franki, kiddies today laugh at those that still pay for internet. Here is what you do: Have a laptop with wireless capability? Great, turn that on and find a neighbor with an unsecured wireless router.

Plan B, an old well known trick by all, Install a CAT5e line from the house next door. Takes work to hide though.
    Last edited by tailgunner; 05-08-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
      Oh Franki, kiddies today laugh at those that still pay for internet. Here is what you do: Have a laptop with wireless capability? Great, turn that on and find a neighbor with an unsecured wireless router.

Plan B, an old well known trick by all, is the install a splitter to run an RG-6 line from a house next door. Takes work to hide though.
      If he has my luck, that unsecured network will be owned by a hacker. If I am not mistaken, they can see what's on your computer.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post

Plan B, an old well known trick by all, Install a CAT5e line from the house next door. Takes work to hide though.
        What is a "neighbor"?

Comment

I'm too old and honest to be stealing service and possibly getting into trouble. Our properties are 1/2 acre anyway, and could you see me out there with a ditch witch? I'm not upset by the few extra dollars down the road, it's more having to change equipment and all the little hassles.

Comment

I have a wireless router and I DO NOT leave it active, making sure that it is only on when I am actually using the computer. I also DO NOT just leave my computer on, unless I am actually there and have it in use. My son on the other hand, probably has every known wireless device there is and it's running 24/7.

I do have the latest security on the router and also on my computers; but you can shut down the computer after use, and go upstairs where the router is located and just watch the activity light rapidly flickering. It will stop after awhile but then at several times during the evening (it is located in the library) I'll notice it come on and for twenty minutes or so, you can see activity. I asked a couple of wireless technicians about this and was told it was from people trying to get past the security... basically probing the system to either connect to the internet and even perhaps to see if they can access my computer.

When you stop to think about it, if you have wireless system of anykind, that signal is usually addressable from the street and from any neighbors around you. I don't feel comfortable with that... even with "security".

CWS

Comment

Working...
            X