X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama in History

If you want a good laugh go to <www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents>. The Obama administration has added footnotes to all of the presidential biographies since Coolidge, except for Gerald Ford.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Re: Obama in History

Originally posted by DSurette View Post
    If you want a good laugh go to <www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents>. The Obama administration has added footnotes to all of the presidential biographies since Coolidge, except for Gerald Ford.
    Wow, what an embarrassment. Can you imagine any other President inserting himself into others biography?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

"The page you're looking for is currently unavailable to view
      We've been upgrading our site. It is possible that this page has been moved or renamed" That's the message I got so maybe they decided to reword? Nice to know the administration does not have more pressing issues since they created so many jobs

Comment

Interesting... and I have sort of mixed feelings about it.

But.... considering the constant rhetoric of the last year in which the anti-Obama right-wing has been promoting that he has done absolutely nothing, I guess this is sort of a mis-stepped backlash... if some really wish to view it that way.

Out of 43 Presidency's, a "Did You Know" has been added to 13 of them; and in those 13, it simply points out that one of the highlights of those Presidents has been continued or enhanced by the current President.

We are in the midst of one of the most obstructionist political parties in American History. The Republican machine has made all kinds of moves to obstruct the freely-elected Presidency and in so doing it's lies and distortions have committed itself to the destruction of the American middle class and the poor. Purchased outright by the rich and powerful corporations, we have seen unpresedented blockage of a government that is supposed to be "for the people" and "by the people", and it has done so with the totally open statement of "blocking Obama". That reason alone, speaks of "treason" as it is not a motive of making the people better, or making our society better, or making our economy better, or making our defense better, or making our environment better, or making "better" anything else!!!!.... except perhaps the "riches" of the extreme right-wing "robber barons" of our time!

This "obstruction" is directed at overthrowing the Executive Branch of the government through deceit and dishonesty and by blocking all legislation beyond the edge of economic collapse. This "obstruction" goes so far as denying the security of the common citizen, denying substantial funds for the people's education, and even denying the proper funding for the defence of the nation. (And perhaps the reason for these "Did you know" additions, the Republicans also want to deny that in it's own history it, on occasion, tried to do good!)

Must we forget that the past Republican president came to office NOT by election, but by decision of a right-wing Republican led Supreme Court? Must we forget that that administration, killed thousands of our own with a non-legal invasion of a foreign country and that that objective has done nothing but jeopardize the future security of the United States. Must we also forget that the Bush administratin was the most secretive administration in the history of this country, that it detained citizens without due-process, that it invaded our privacy, and that it sqaundered $Trillions, with not a single citizen being advantaged by this waste. And in great expense, must we be reminded that $Milliions are un-accounted for, that de-regulation of the banks vaporized $Billions, and that "offshoring" and Republican assistance stole away millions of our jobs?

So for all of that, we turn a blind eye and yet raise our tempers because of the audacity of adding a handful of notes to a few Presidential biograpy's that thier work is continueing by the current sitting President. Worse perhaps is that you all think that instead of some over-exuberant writer, you think that Obama, himself probably wrote this. Surely there is "embarassment" here, but I don't think it is from the Whitehouse.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 05-17-2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

CWS, you make a good argument when pointing to President Bush's failings, but that does not excuse President Obama's record. I don't think we have had a President or majority of legislators for many years who had the good of the country and we the people at heart. You can demonize the republicans for blocking President Obama, but after he and the democrats passed that healthcare bill, I'm okay with their behavior. Who is going to pay for all that heathcare? We can't afford the wars with the toll they take on our economy and families. I would just add President Obama to the list of Presidents who were fine to run up the debt and do nothing to really address the trade deficit, jobs, energy and every other unresolved problem.

My temper is not raised by the subject of this thread, it is raised by al the things I mentioned. I was full of hope for change when I voted of President Obama. He had the majority behind him and chose to pass healthcare. I did not expect miracles, but he made things worse in my opinion. I still think we are on course for a major breakdown and have been for a good forty years. Maybe if Romney gets in he will cut spending and make some lives worse, balance the budget, I don't know? I am positive it will not be enough. President Obama's grand speeches remeind me of the many ceo's who act in the same manner and leave their companies worse than they found them.

CWS, doesn't your temper rise when you wonder who can or will bring about the necessary change we need? I'm sick of giving my consumer dollars to communist china for substandard goods. I want affordable gasoline and heating fuel, and food! The President's arrogance is not the problem. The problem is everything else I mentioned. The republicans are as bad as the democrats, maybe worse, but both parties stood by all these years and encouraged businesses and jobs to leave.Who was watching wallstreet or holding them accountable for all they stole from investors? We elect elitists and expect common sense solutions when all they care about is furthering their agendas. For all I care President Obama can rewrite history and take credit for the Internet, but have the decency to admit his failings along with those before him. We are sunk!!!

Comment

As an example of what was added to Roosevelt's:

"On August 14, 1935, President Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act. Today the Obama Administration continues to protect seniors and ensure Social Security will be there for future generations."

Does this mean the other 11-Presidents didn't care about Seniors and Social Security? Can you imagine if each post-Obama President chooses to do the same thing? Pretty soon the bios will be the footnote.

Mark

Comment

Mark, my conclusions on the economy are either right or wrong. If I am correct that too many Americans are out of work to support S.S. and other government programs that provide for those not working, then it does not matter how it came to become law. Simply put without a drastic change we don't have a good future. On a small scale, could we survive as a village that did not make what we consume? We enrich and depend on a powerful country that opposes our fundamental rights and beliefs.

Here we are discussing politics and Presidential accomplishments and credits, while our nation is in serious trouble. Can we agree that government does not create jobs, that the EPA, OSHA, taxes and even our lowest labor costs make the USA not as attractive a place to manufacture as communist china, mexico and others? Doesn't look good going forward, but I think there is a chance to come out of this on top.

Watching movies about WWll, reading books on the subject and talking to people who lived through that time, there is a common theme that speaks of the time and people. "
              "The War Effort", every red blooded American was determined to sacrifice and help the war effort. People did without, volunteered, donated till it hurt, but made sure America was united to win in the Pacific and Europe. I say we are in a war right now and need a similar mindset. Exactly how that would play out regarding new laws to encourage manufacturing, hiring, and everything else to make our sure our society survives I don't know. I am positive that we can't assume without sweeping change anything will improve, including unemployment. Presidents matter but given how much needs to be done we need the cooperation, effort and sacrifice of every American starting with Congress.
              Last edited by Frankiarmz; 05-17-2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I'm really pretty neutral on Obambam other than the wash of relief I'd feel from any change after suffering 8 years of Dubya. I'm not going to make any arguments about any part of this; it's pointless. But I do find it interesting that many feel the same way about Obama, generally with as little real reason, as I do about Shrub; that there is no face on this earth I would more enjoy seeing crushed under the heel of a boot.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  I'm really pretty neutral on Obambam other than the wash of relief I'd feel from any change after suffering 8 years of Dubya. I'm not going to make any arguments about any part of this; it's pointless. But I do find it interesting that many feel the same way about Obama, generally with as little real reason, as I do about Shrub; that there is no face on this earth I would more enjoy seeing crushed under the heel of a boot.
                  That's a terrible thing to suggest of a President. I do have to credit President Obama with fixing the problem of $4.00 a gallon gasoline. It was right there in front of us but it took him to say "get a tuneup and check your tire pressure". Now my thirteen year old Ford Explorer get 12.1 miles to a gallon, thanks. There are not enough boots to take care of all the politicians who have taken care of themselves and a select few at the expense of the rest.

Comment

People did without, volunteered, donated till it hurt
                    That included corporations too, but you don't see much of that now-a-days do you. Not saying it doesn't happen but not even close to what was back then. And back then we didn't ship our jobs overseas, only the products of our manufacturing might, which is not as strong today for a number of reasons.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It is getting harder and harder for manufactures to manufacture in the US. With all of the talk of new taxes in California, you have to wonder if they will leave the State or the Country?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        It is getting harder and harder for manufactures to manufacture in the US. With all of the talk of new taxes in California, you have to wonder if they will leave the State or the Country?

Mark
                        Just the other night on the news they were interviewing some middle class (as they called them) chinease adn they were saying how they prefer US made goods over those made in china. Some companies are finding that they can do a booming business with products made in the USA over there.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Specialty markets fill a void and in this case it is quality. Maybe it's me but I buy the best I can afford within reason and then work at taking care of my purchase. I maintain my six year old sears lawn tractor but they make them cheaply compared to the one I purchased over twenty years ago. The front tires on my newer model are worn down and when I left the hood open to add oil, the plastic hood snapped and crashed to the ground. I spent two hours repairing the cracks with epoxy and duct tape. The old tires lasted for twenty years and the metal hood never broke! Maybe companies like sears should consider selling quality goods to their American customers!!!
                          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 05-17-2012, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            That's a terrible thing to suggest of a President.
                            Well, actually, I think it's a terrible thing to say about a person, but I tend to hold public servants to a higher standard than private citizens. Dubya's particular mix of pugnacious arrogance, righteousness, and stupidity just pushes my buttons. The interesting thing about it to me is that, both for me with Dubya and for the Bambi-bashers, the opinion seems to come before the reasons stated for it. Sure, there are things to hate and we squeal with glee when a particularly juicy one comes to light, and point to them all as reasons, but I think they are not reasons. I think they are justifications; after the fact documentation.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                              Well, actually, I think it's a terrible thing to say about a person, but I tend to hold public servants to a higher standard than private citizens. Dubya's particular mix of pugnacious arrogance, righteousness, and stupidity just pushes my buttons. The interesting thing about it to me is that, both for me with Dubya and for the Bambi-bashers, the opinion seems to come before the reasons stated for it. Sure, there are things to hate and we squeal with glee when a particularly juicy one comes to light, and point to them all as reasons, but I think they are not reasons. I think they are justifications; after the fact documentation.
                              Speaking for myself, I was upset when President Bush paled with vincente fox and talked about the great job illegals were doing here. His response when asked if he knew about the price of gasoline, "Is that so" proved how removed he was from my reality. There were other annoying things I disliked and the same goes for President Obama. All those great speeches that lead to nowhere, when asked about the failed green businesses that lost taxpayer dollars, "Those things happen". I give people what I think is a fair chance and respect, politicians often disappoint. Was President Bush really that clueless? I suppose President Obama is a great thinker? Based on what? My bottom line is results and we have not had impressive results for many years. Look at where we were with President Bush and now look at where we are, it's horrible. Why would we think another four years would be different? I think most people who voted for Obama and had hopes in what he would do, now have plenty of reason to dislike him. I am no fan of republicans, they have not represented my beliefs, or needs in the past. Republicans are anti-labor, anti-Union, BUT we need someone to put the brakes on spending, entitlements, and other things we can't afford. I'll dance with the devil if it means I can live to fight another day sometime in the future. Cut medicare, social security, fraud. Where was that scalpel to the budget candidate Obama talked about, do you remember that? It disappeared along with the promise of transparency and no more dirty washington as usual politics. They all stink and we have good reason to distrust and dislike.

Comment

Working...
                              X