X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best rugged wrist watch for plumbers

Well It's a casio dive sport $99.00. Rugged black band. Analog glow in the dark face.
    My lovely wife insisted on paying for it at check out! Live is good! Thanks for all the input.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

When Casio came out with the first generation watch with the thermometer and barometer in it I got one.
      Was a great watch but someone liked it more than I did. It got lifted out of my desk one day when
      on the road working in NY near Peekskill.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Watches... it is too funny how people feel about them, I think. While many of us (and all that I see posted here) feel that a watch is pretty essential, it is pretty much for utility. We need to know the time, where we are on a job, or in the day. Got those appointments, places to go and people to see.

I got my first watch when I was about 14, it was a Timex from my folks. Had a little hand and a big hand and not anything else. I replaced the leather band every couple of years and it served me well, as long as I remembered to wind it. I got married in 1967 and that year we went to Atlantic City and I forgot to take it off when I dived into the ocean... it was dead by the time I got back to the sand. Oh well, nine years of camping and hiking and living the single life on the move, that little watch served me well.

I've always bought cheap watches, they last well in the office and I always took them off when laboring, Sunset and "my stomach" being the time keepers then. In the late 70's I bought a really nice Seiko, it was on factory clearance or something and the local "Wegman's" had a display. For $35 I got a self-wind that was certainly the most handsome (and expensive) watch that I ever owned. I even got a few compliments on that watch. (Do people really pay that kind of attention?) But the darn thing seemed to loose a couple of minutes every week, so it seemed that I was always adjusting it. (I'm a stickler for the right TIME, keeping everything in the house to the WWV Ft. Collins' Atomic Clock broadcast.) But that watch eventually died, I called to see if I could get it serviced, but that's like three times what I originally paid for it. My BIL is a "jewler" and he tells me that is often a problem with Seiko's and they just need to be cleaned and adjusted periodically.

I've got a couple of relatives on my wife's side of the family that think a watch is a status symbol. One even has a Rolex... I can't begin to comprehend wearing anything worth $10K. I wonder if it tells time better than my $17 Casio?

When I retired in 2003, I just gave up on wearing a watch. Mental problem I think. Who cares where I am and why should I care what time it is. It's either day or it's night. At night maybe there's a good movie on and I should check the clock in the den and if it's daytime, maybe I should just go mow the lawn if the grass looks high.

But my wife seemed to be annoyed with that, and I began to notice that you can't find a clock in the Dr's office (they don't want you to know how long you have waited there I think) or even in Walmart. She'd always be asking me what time it was too; like what... you got a date of something?

Two years ago, my son wanted to know what he could get me for my birthday which was coming up in another three months... so I told him to get me a watch. I figured that would be pretty easy on him... but that proved otherwise. What do you want: gold, silver, digital, hands, backlight, date, stop, flex band, leather, etc., etc., etc.! My answer of "I don't really care, just something so I can answer your Mother's question, apparently didn't sit too well. So after much searching and frustration on his part (that I didn't know about at the time), he finally said the day before my birthday, he couldn't find anything that he thought I would have liked.

So, I said, "What are you doing right now?"... and I picked him up and we drove to Walmart and I got this little battery-operated "Casio" Forrester, it's got a big hand, a little hand, and even a second hand and a little date window. I can barely see the second hand and can't recognize the number in the little date window without putting on my reading glasses... BUT, it tells time quite well. The poor guy (my son) looked at me a bit strangly when our birthday present jaunt took all of fifteen minutes and cost him less than $20. Ahh kids, I love him but I must admit that I don't aways understand him.. or he, me.

But hey, I'm happy... looks a lot like my old Timex from 50 years ago, except for that date window which I can barely see.... oh, this one says it's water proof too.... Damn don't ya just love technology!

CWS

Comment

Cws, i do believe that is the best post i have ever read on this forum!!!!

Comment

Thanks Pipestone!

I feel quite honored by your very kind comment. I'm not so sure I am deserving, but I sure appreciate that you enjoyed it.

Thanks again,

CWS

Comment

Yes CW That was a great post. I still have My dad's gold waltham pocket watch. He was born in 1899. Great story's! Hi Dad
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
              X