X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to redwing boots !

I started wearing wearing Red Wing Irish setters in the 70s. Back in Mass . building homes and plowing snow in the winter . The price got higher , and I went elsewhere.
    Went to sears for new work boots. Where's all the help these days " EVERYWHERE" ?
    Finally I locate a young Man to help Me. I can see He's upset I interrupted his stocking duty's. I pick out some boots,giving My size. A few minutes later He drops them in front of Me,and is off. "WRONG SIZE" This cranky old fart fires Sears! Off to redwing shoes. Greeted by a smiling Lady. Explains all of the different work boots. Sizes both feet. Explains which ones are clearance ones! About a $100.00 I have the most comfortable work boots in years! Feet are soo happy each morn. What do Girls from BOSTON where on their feet ! " CHOOZE "
    Last edited by toolaholic; 05-20-2012, 09:41 AM.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Back to redwing boots !

i stopped buying them in the mid 80's. back then the only thing under $100. were replacement laces.

but you're right, the service, fit and feel were great. even made me lighter on my feet

but when that much coin comes out of a wallet, you would feel lighter too

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i stopped buying them in the mid 80's. back then the only thing under $100. were replacement laces.

but you're right, the service, fit and feel were great. even made me lighter on my feet

but when that much coin comes out of a wallet, you would feel lighter too

rick.
      Rick,go back ,Your dogs will love You!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

my slip on "slippers" are great for service. they come off as needed without ever touching them and go back on just as easy.

for digging and crawling, i have my real lace up boots. same goes for wet jobs as they ar waterproof.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

They seem expensive at first. I'm retiring a pair of oxfords that have finally about wore out after 5 summers of daily wear. Never had a pair of any type of footwear last that long. Replacing them with the exact same shoes.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i had a pair of 8668s (no longer made from looking at their site today) that I trashed a couple months ago. They were starting to get worn in the cuff and some cracks in areas that flex when you walk. But since they were made back in Mar 2005 (by the date code in the shoe) I can't fault them, they lasted a long time. I wore them 3 or 4 days a week for 5 years, then retired them to weekend duty working around the house the last couple years. They were similar in appearance to the current model 8672. I have a couple other pair which I do not wear every day that still have plenty of years left in them. My 8668s were made in the US, I see the 8672 is made in China. Can't buy those, my conscience won't let me. If you go to their site and filter for Made in US only, your choices are narrowed down significantly.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Buy the best possible footwear you can afford. Years down the road not only will your feet thank you but so will your back and other body parts. I wish I had done a better job of taking care of my feet in the past instead of just buying based mostly on price instead of quality.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Nick's Foresters for me. Custom fit and hand made right here in the Northwest.

Comment

Re: Back to redwing boots ! SPIT SHINE

Well I, am shining My boots once a week. Full bibb brown carharts . Irish tweed cap.
                  I am noticing the reaction with new customers. EZ SELLS ! Good to look like a real pro.
                  Even if I am an " OLD IRISH HACK " Happy Monday

Comment

Because I do a lot of indoor work and very little outdoor work anymore, I'm in Rick's camp. My shoe of choice is the basic loafer. Unfortunately, such foot wear combined with flip flops when not working in good weather has left me with a bunion on my right foot. Beats me why I only have one. My tendency to go down on one knee when doing stoop work also shows my tendency to only kneel on my left, thus making my pants wear through on that side first.
                    Last edited by Plumbus; 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

believe it or not, my slip ons are actually steel toes

ben liked them so much he grabbed a pair from me. i'm down to 5 pairs

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        believe it or not, my slip ons are actually steel toes

ben liked them so much he grabbed a pair from me. i'm down to 5 pairs

rick.

What don't you stock?!?!?!?!? BTW: Red Wings sell diabetic socks (No, I'm not diabetic) that have lasted me for several YEARS and I wear them every day. They stay up and don't squish my calf muscles. Very nice.
                        Last edited by geno gardner; 05-21-2012, 11:47 PM.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                          What don't you stock?!?!?!?!? BTW: Red Wings sell diabetic socks (No, I'm not diabetic) that have lasted me for several YEARS and I wear them every day. They stay up and don't squish my calf muscles. Very nice.
                          Thanks, I did not know that and being diabetic I'm going to check them out as I can't seem to find socks that will stay pulled up for very long.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                            Thank You brother, I didn't know that. I am type 2 diabetic and will buy some .

Comment

I bought a new pair of boots a few month ago. Decided to try a different brand and spend a few more dollars. These are made in Canada use a composite materials for protection (no metal) and were on sale for $140 (about $40 more than I usually spend). So far they have been excellent for comfort and slip resistance. My knees hurt far less at the end of a long day. Can't compare them to red wings as they seem to be scarce around here. Nice to buy something that is actually made in North America

Comment

Working...
                              X