Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I want to use this trades proffesional vs....

I am really after professional vs. professional. Partly for the homeowners and partly for us professionals. Lets face it, a homeowner that doesn't know a trade or the pro's we go behind, how do they discern bad/good/better before hiring them? How do we set ourselves apart from the rest?

Anybody around here with some dough can get an ad in the paper, phone book or get a website. There are minimal consequences for an unlicensed individual doing work, good bad or indifferent and none of the advertisers are held to any standard or accountability.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Re: Why do I want to use this trades proffesional vs....

As a homeowner I appreciate your concern because it not only affects your reputation as part of a profession but the customers. I know there are reference lists availabe to the consumer that rate trades people, such as "angie's list". I don't think any of these things are perfect because there will always be bad professionals out there as well as impossible to please consumers who will give bad reviews for good work.

Comment

Well, You don't have to look too far ! Over the past , almost , 7 years , one Pro stands out! Many times Rickety Rooter has charged another good soul , for leaving their broken cable in their sewer line. On top of that, " The blockage is still there ! " At their wits end and a price of $10,000 for a new sewer, they find Plumber Rick! $200.00
      Later,with a cleared line the word of mouth spreads some more! Wear a white Hat,
      and The work will always be there!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Word of mouth has always made/broke companies. Bad usually travels faster than good but there are too many people out there that keep on finding the bad before they stumble upon the latter.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • and other specialties.

Comment

First and foremost you must provide excellent service. But it doesn't end there.
          The value of your excellent service must be calculated by your cost, labor, overhead,
          and material. Along with legitimate expenses such an licensing and insurance, you
          must also calculate the risk involved and the reward (profit) you deserve as an
          excellent service provider. Speak with your customers in a sincere and intelligent
          manner and educate them on the proper way to address their situation. That can
          only be done by actually going to the job. No way can an accurate phone quote
          or a predetermined advertised price work. Once you assess the job requirements
          then you can quote a price. I charge a minimum diagnostic fee to make a service
          call. Once a price is quoted to do the work the customer either agrees to the terms
          and the service call price is applied to the job, or I hit the bricks with my minimum fee.
          I don't do free estimates. Customers who purchase plumbing services for cheap prices
          get what they pay for and will eventually tire of paying for mediocrity in the long run.
          A service provider who can only get work by being cheap won't be around long.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
            First and foremost you must provide excellent service. But it doesn't end there.
            The value of your excellent service must be calculated by your cost, labor, overhead,
            and material. Along with legitimate expenses such an licensing and insurance, you
            must also calculate the risk involved and the reward (profit) you deserve as an
            excellent service provider. Speak with your customers in a sincere and intelligent
            manner and educate them on the proper way to address their situation. That can
            only be done by actually going to the job. No way can an accurate phone quote
            or a predetermined advertised price work. Once you assess the job requirements
            then you can quote a price. I charge a minimum diagnostic fee to make a service
            call. Once a price is quoted to do the work the customer either agrees to the terms
            and the service call price is applied to the job, or I hit the bricks with my minimum fee.
            I don't do free estimates. Customers who purchase plumbing services for cheap prices
            get what they pay for and will eventually tire of paying for mediocrity in the long run.
            A service provider who can only get work by being cheap won't be around long.
            I think you have a great way of doing business. Customers vary just like tradepeople and while I understand your time, knowledge and fuel costs are not for free, there are those who expect it. The fact that you are willing to apply the service call to the job is very fair in my opinion. Frank

Comment

Aren't licensed contractors in your state required to put the license number in all ads and correspondence and on their vehicles?
              If yes it should be easy for the HO to determine at least who is licensed so that should not be a problem.

If they are not smart enough to ask or look then that's on them. Anyone who gives some lame excuse for not
              having a license or insurance they should just walk away fast or hang up as the case may be.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                Aren't licensed contractors in your state required to put the license number in all ads and correspondence and on their vehicles?
                If yes it should be easy for the HO to determine at least who is licensed so that should not be a problem.

If they are not smart enough to ask or look then that's on them. Anyone who gives some lame excuse for not
                having a license or insurance they should just walk away fast or hang up as the case may be.
                Almost every plumber around here does not have their number on their trucks let alone the phone book. I think you are supposed to put it on the trucks. I know some licensed plumbers that are in totals unmarked vehicles.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

And you probably know if they are licensed or not from seeing them around. Do you report them? If not why not. They are taking work from good plumbers who care enough to be licensed, and they are putting the public at risk since if they are not licensed they are surely not getting inspections when they should.

Is it being a rat to report an illegal operator? I guess it is but what are the consequences? Maybe you would you rather sit at the shop or home with no work while they are out there making money and doing (in many but not all I know) poor quality work or overcharging for their work.

Over the years I have reported three to the State League of Master Plumbers and let them take it from there. Not that many I know but probably three more than most of you. If we all reported three just think how many would be out of business? I know probably some of you on this forum are not licensed (where required). Sorry but that is the way I feel. Maybe you are just trying to scratch out a living well so is everyone else.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    And you probably know if they are licensed or not from seeing them around. Do you report them? If not why not. They are taking work from good plumbers who care enough to be licensed, and they are putting the public at risk since if they are not licensed they are surely not getting inspections when they should.

Is it being a rat to report an illegal operator? I guess it is but what are the consequences? Maybe you would you rather sit at the shop or home with no work while they are out there making money and doing (in many but not all I know) poor quality work or overcharging for their work.

Over the years I have reported three to the State League of Master Plumbers and let them take it from there. Not that many I know but probably three more than most of you. If we all reported three just think how many would be out of business? I know probably some of you on this forum are not licensed (where required). Sorry but that is the way I feel. Maybe you are just trying to scratch out a living well so is everyone else.
                    Even if you "rat" them out, they need to be caught. At the very least the person that they did work for needs to corroborate. Right, wrong, or indifferent many homeowners will not say anything because they saved some money. I have turned in people when gross negligence is involved. This is one of the reasons that I do about 95% commercial work. It is more equal footing in many aspects. It is also another reason I specialize in certain services. I don't worry about someone trying to do drain cleaning either. The only competition around here are a few Rooter companies. If someone wants to try servicing homeowners they usually do it in places where I would rather not be.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

Here in my part of NY State, the "plumber" is usually certified or licensed and makes that known in his advertising (phone book or on the truck). Electricians are pretty much the same. Here in the Binghamton-area I have a great plumber, I don't question his price and his work is excellent and fair. When I need him, he or one of his guys are here within the afternoon and Steve always stops in to ensure that things are the way they should be. Personally, I wouldn't think of giving anyone else a call, even if I had to wait for him.

Electricians... well, they apparently have more work than they know what to do with. I've been stood up by so many electricians that it's almost stupid on my part to even call one... but I do. After several attempts and a few no-shows, I usually have to just do the job myself.

I don't know what it is about most of the people in the business, but the guys who are supposed to be the "Pro's" don't seem to care enough to ever return a phone call. As a home owner, you just look up the number and start calling, and repeat calling, and then call again. Sometimes you'll get lucky, but mostly NOT. And even if you are lucky enough to get a return phone call, that doesn't mean they'll ever come to see you. It's ridiculous!

For example... it took me a half-dozen calls to get a recommended electrician to return my call. He came over, even came back to confirm his estimate... and then I never saw him again. That has happened twice now with different companies.

I had a guy put a new roof on my garage, no squabble on price at all. I liked the guy, and he did a great job... but it took him nine weeks to get here, three times breaking his appointment. None of the other companies that I called (five in all) ever returned my phone calls.

I was happy with this guy's work, I liked him and he and his crew all seemed like nice people and I paid him the day the job was done. I've got a couple more projects that I'd like him to get on his schedule. I've called three times, even stopped in to his place, catching him on a Saturday morning. We made an appointment on his schedule... that was three weeks ago and I still haven't heard from him. I really hate being stood up.

Here we are in a fairly populated city, I don't squabble over price and don't "play supervisor". I'm sort of a happy customer; but jeez, the only guys that seem to be available are the one's with shabby work and worse reputations. What is with those who have the skill to be in the business, yet have no sense of customer relations? It is no wonder that you see a lot of these companies come and go.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                      X