Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

General Motors is becoming China Motors (or is it Communist Motors?)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Motors is becoming China Motors (or is it Communist Motors?)

This vid says it all, no need for words on my part.

General Motors is becoming China Motors - YouTube
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: General Motors is becoming China Motors (or is it Communist Motors?)

If 70% of GM vehicles are indeed made outside of the US as claimed then a truly neutral reporter should have also included what the percentage of GM's sales are outside of the US. GM has a global presence so of course they will need to have some offshore production facilities. It's obvious that this is a very slanted slam job against GM but the facts of life are that we are in a global economy and hiding our heads in the sand is counter productive.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      If 70% of GM vehicles are indeed made outside of the US... we are in a global economy and hiding our heads in the sand is counter productive.
      Then 70% of GM's bailout should have been funded from non-US sources.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

The reported does acknowledge the Global Market. The question remains, who did we save GM for?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
          Then 70% of GM's bailout should have been funded from non-US sources.
          I totally agree if the bailout money was used for offshore purposes, was it?

Comment

No clue. But if 70% of GM's production is offshore, thus supporting foreign economies...

Comment

And that in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. I would love to see American corporation produce 100% of their products domestically but economic reality dictates that is not possible. And, it is possible for Americans to profit from the offshore profits of American companies, buy some of their stock.

Comment

And that in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. I would love to see American corporation produce 100% of their products domestically but economic reality dictates that is not possible. And, it is possible for Americans to profit from the offshore profits of American companies, buy some of their stock.
                LOL-We the people, did.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Yes GM operates on a global level. If they invest in foreign markets and manufacture
                  products for those markets where sold that is not as bad as manufacturing them outside
                  the US and bringing them back here to sell, thereby moving jobs offshore.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

... buy some of their stock.
                    I did.
                    Uncle Sam was the stockbroker, and I had no choice in the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      LOL-We the people, did.
                      Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                      I did.
                      Uncle Sam was the stockbroker, and I had no choice in the matter.
                      Yup, me too, glad I could do my part to help keep those US plants open. EDIT: On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of Government sticking its nose into private business matters. In a perfect world, I would rather see companies fail or succeed on their own. If that means some must close their doors then so be it. I believe they call that "the American way".
                      Last edited by BadgerDave; 05-26-2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Yup, me too, glad I could do my part to help keep those US plants open.
                        That's fine.
                        For you.
                        But what if it's not fine with me that a failing company used the power of the United States government to, in effect, pick my pocket to stay afloat? IF I had wanted to support GM, I would have purchased one of their products. But you can bet the farm that I won't do so any time in the foreseeable future. Unless they figure out how to use the power of government to force their products on me too.

Comment

Yup, me too, glad I could do my part to help keep those US plants open. EDIT: On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of Government sticking its nose into private business matters. In a perfect world, I would rather see companies fail or succeed on their own. If that means some must close their doors then so be it. I believe they call that "the American way".
                          Dave, I could be wrong be wrong, but I don't think we can sustain our economy as stockholders who consume but do not produce. I'm glad you don't like gov't sticking it's nose into private matters, but since we are part of this grand global economy we had better get used to it. We need to be on a level playing field with communist china, so lets start limiting how many children folks can have, crush all labor organizations, free speech,etc. You did say we were all part of a global economy, right? Or did you mean to say communist china would stop interferring with business in their country? I didn't think so!

Wake up, there is no global economy, free trade or open markets! We are the dying society without jobs, consuming the world's junk made by slaves, while their ports are closed to many of our goods. The end is growing close, I challenge anyone to explain how a populace can consume what they do not produce and survive! Explain how we can provide healthcare and education for ourselves and illegals when we have a 16 trillion dollar debt and massive unemployment.

I hope your stock in these companies that manufacture abroad do very well, maybe you could front some investment capital for the tens of millions out of work Americans and tell them this is your future income in place of a job.

Comment

Note I am not Government motors fan, and most likely this was in place and being worked on before the bail out,

Gm is just doing good business, and taking opportunity of the policies the Government of china put in to place for auto manufactures,

The Chinese government has released a new auto policy that is applauded as more transparent but is designed to slow auto sales

China's automobile industry released a much-anticipated new policy with rules expected to slow investment and consolidate the auto industry. The policy also encourages car buying through new traffic laws enacted by local governments. The Policy-Maker, the National Development and Reform Commission, claims this policy will help create a healthier auto industry and cites seven distince differences from the 1994 policy, including abolishing market-share requirements for local vehicles, which stated that by 2010 half of all new cars must be built in China. The policy also favored large manufacturers over China's aging producers. Companies in other industries will not be allowed to buy failing manufacturers and new producers
                            will need to invest at least 2 billion yuan ($241 million) accordind to the new policy.

The policy harms importers by closing a tax loophole. Previously, foreign companies imported cars in bulk and stored them in a holding area only paying taxes as the cars were sold. Now taxes must be paid as they are imported. Chinese investors must now also own 51% of any joint venture and that a Chinese company must be the largest investor if more than two are involved.

General Motors applauded the policy as more transparent and predicted it would result in a healthier industry, despite the fact that new liscencing policies designed to limit the number of vehicles will result in higher prices and lower sales.

2004 copy write,
                            China's new automobile policy
                            China Automotive Industry

Starting as a small section under the machinery category, the auto industry has soared to become one of the five largest industries in China. In spite of rapid growth of all sectors in China's thriving economy, the auto industry has outperformed others in the last seven years thanks to annual double digit growth rates.
                            China has potential to become both a prospering production market and an ample consumption market with more than one fifth of the world's population and rapid development in almost all sectors of the economy. Although the fast-paced growth of China's auto industry was anticipated, it nevertheless transcended expectation in terms of world ranking. From 2001 to 2005, China has increased its share in the world auto market from 4% to 10%, to be at par with Japan. Given the current conditions and inertia in Japanese sales, it will not be surprising if China surpasses Japan in the near future.

Graph of China Market Opportunity: Vehicle Sales - Units (courtesy of ASIMCO Technologies)

The rapid development entails even more rapid emergence of modern technologies and aggressive manufacturing firms. To stimulate investment and increase the locally manufactured part ratio in "made-in-China" vehicles, the Chinese government has imposed heavy tariffs on imported parts. In response, Japan has voiced its opinion on this "unfair practice", urging China to consider lowering tariffs on imported car parts. It also has threaten to go to the WTO to resolve this problem if China refuses to recognize and deal with this complaint. The current China government policy which may or may not change in response to the Japanese complaint is another reason auto parts manufacturers have been doing particularly well in China.

China's auto industry has prospered despite being highly regulated. The current government regulations requires any foreign investor to form business relationships with a local company. As a result, almost all global car manufacturers have established joint ventures with local partners and expressed their long-term interest in the China auto industry. Meanwhile, the number of domestic companies has also bloomed. By 2005, more than 28% of the market share was taken by the Chinese companies.

Graph: Shares of the world auto market

However, foreign investors, especially US foreign investors, also face several difficulties when investing in China. Low labor costs and abundant labor force and inputs aside, the difference in business culture can become an obstacle that unexpectedly increases the total expenses. Higher transportation costs and geographic distance should also be accounted for when compared with other competing countries worldwide. For instance, investing in Mexico requires higher costs for labor, but lower costs for transportation. Nonetheless, China, with its potential, is still attracting more and more investors in various industries, including the auto sector. As one CEO of a joint venture in China proclaimed, "Investing in China is risky, but not investing in China is even more risky."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright, 2006 © Runckel & Associates
                            NOTE charts at the link,

it is also my understand a foreign company needs a Chinese domestic partner to do business in china, (or that is what I have read in the past).

what would it look like if some one did a spin video on Ridgid tool company and there wood working line of tools, It could look jsut as damaging.

(no one complains about GM in Barzil South America.

General Motors do Brasil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                            General Motors do BrasilFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search General Motors do Brasil
                            Type Wholly owned subsidiary
                            Industry Automotive
                            Founded (1925)
                            Headquarters São Caetano do Sul, Brasil
                            Key people Denise Johnson, (CEO)
                            Products Cars
                            Engines
                            Revenue R$ 12.0 billion (2007)
                            Parent General Motors
                            Website Chevrolet | Ve?*culos, Carros Novos, Minivans, SUVs e Pickups and Chevrolet | Ve?*culos, Carros Novos, Minivans, SUVs e Pickups

General Motors do Brazil is the largest subsidiary of the General Motors in South America and the second largest operation outside the United States. In 2005 it completed 80 years of operation in Brazil. The company was founded in 1925 and operated in rented houses, located in the historic district of Ipiranga in Sao Paulo.

In the early days the company only assembled cars using parts imported from the United States. After five years, GMB officially opened in 1930 with its first factory in São Caetano do Sul – São Paulo. In 1958 a second factory was opened Sao Jose dos Campos – São Paulo, officially inaugurated a year later by the President Juscelino Kubitschek.

Decided to expand its product line, GMB launched in 1968 the first car of its Chevrolet brand in the country, the Opala, which closed its life cycle after 24 years, with more than 1 million units sold.

Since then, it has stopped more than make successes of sales. In 1973 launched the Chevette, which has accumulated sales exceeding 1.2 million units, to be replaced by the Corsa in 1994, the first vehicle popular with electronic fuel injection.

In July 2000 launched the Industrial Complex of Gravata?* in Rio Grande do Sul, one of the world's most modern factories, where the line is produced and Celta, which receives visits from experts in manufacturing of vehicles from around the world who want to know the system's assembly model, which is done in partnership with suppliers of systems, installed within the industrial complex.

The Celta was also the pioneer in the Brazilian market in the area of electronic commerce, becoming the best-selling model in the world via the Internet. Currently, the GMB sells the entire line Corsa, Meriva and Montana to truck in this way.

In 2005, GM of Brazil in the Brazilian market sold a total of 365,259 vehicles, with a participation of 21.3% in Brazilian market. In specific segments in which it produces vehicles, SUV's, utilities and commercial light, their participation was a little higher, from 22.6%. The company's total production reached 559,345 units, considering the vehicles ready for the domestic market and exports and also the vehicles "CKD (completely knocked down).

Exports of GM of Brazil in 2005 represented new record, reaching a value of US$ 1.6 billion, for the shipment of 114,994 units in "CKD" and 125,678 vehicles ready for some 40 countries around the world. The main market in the area of exports was Mexico, followed by Argentina, Venezuela, South Africa and other Latin American countries.

Most gasoline powered vehicles in the Brazilian Chevrolet are flexfuel, capable of operating on 100% gasoline, 100% ethanol or any blend of the two.

In the social area, the GM of Brazil focused activities through the General Motors Institute, which was created in 1993. Its mission is to rescue the citizenship of children, youths and adults from poor communities, which are located especially close to industrial plants of the company. Its shares are primarily in education.
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

No argument here that GM, Ridgid and thousands of other so called American companies are doing the smart thing business wise by dealing with communist china. They will make more profit, increase stock values and further strengthen a communist super power while America grows closer to a depression. Now if we can agree that there is no turning this disaster around without manufacturing and jobs for millions of unemployed Americans, maybe we can better understand what lies ahead. I think it's pretty simple math, our money goes to other countries for most of our consumer goods and never comes back. Our millions of unemployed have no job prospects since the jobs also left. Now I know President Obama keeps talking about green jobs and better education, but do you really think that's an answer?

Comment

Working...
                              X