Our Little Village

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Little Village

Once upon a time there was a little village called America. People came there from villages both far and wide, eager to have a better life and willing to work hard in return. They worked the land, mined the ground, and eventually built a moden thriving society. The people of America made all sorts of clothing, machinery and goods which they sold to villages around the world.

I'd like to continue the story but it has a sad ending as America no longer made most of what it consumed. The people of America realized too late that they could not survive by printing worthless money. The other villages wanted goods, not worthless money! The other villages laughed at the foolish Americans, "What were they thinking" they said. Some Americans tried to go to the other villages, but were turned away or put in jail. "We have rules for entering our village" the other village people said. We had rules too, but let anyone who wanted to enter America do so, one American yelled! That was pretty stupid, now you have no jobs, no goods and no future. The End!

Re: Our Little Village

I posted this thread because I wonder what will happen given the loss of all those jobs and everything else going on now. I would have a different attitude and outlook if someone offered a brighter picture of how these seemingly impossible situations will turn around.

The massive debt, unemployment, lack of leadership and irresponsible behavior by many Americans who rack up their own debt, is disturbing. Will our next Presidential election be decided by who will best lead us to a better America, or more entitlements and a future of certain failure?

Comment

Stick a fork in us we're done!!

Comment

and if you live in New York, say goodbye to your BIG GULP Slurpee's!

Big brother doesn't want you drinking them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          and if you live in New York, say goodbye to your BIG GULP Slurpee's!

Big brother doesn't want you drinking them anymore.
          From the unabridged version of the Badger Dictionary.............Glutteny...the act of consuming a Big Gulp Slurpee, super sized fries or other extremely high calorie fast food menu items. America is in dire need of more 200lb 10 year olds.
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Dave, the problem with obese Americans is serious but it will take more than this ban to turn it around. I exercise at a gym almost daily, and at home I try to get in push ups and other exercise to combat an otherwise sedate lifestyle, and access to all sorts of food. When I'm at the gym I see plenty of older folks trying to stay alive and younger people who are in good shape trying to look better. I don't see kids exercising that much! Sure there are team sports but what about all the kids who go to school and go right home to eat, watch tv or play computer games? A couple of years ago they spruced up my local beach area with new swing sets, benches, and other things for the kids. I requested the town install a couple pull up bar and parallel bars for the adults. They never complied with my request, I don't know why?
            We need to get kids involved with healthy eating and exercise, and we need to carry that habit into adulthood. Banning the large sugared drinks is not the answer in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Banning the large sugared drinks is not the answer in my opinion.
              Unfortunately Frank, we have people in this country who can't think for themselves and like being told what to do, so they see it as a necessity in life to be controlled.

Comment

Unfortunately Frank, we have people in this country who can't think for themselves and like being told what to do, so they see it as a necessity in life to be controlled.
                I know you're playing devil's advocate but it is a problem that needs addressing. I'm concerned for the kids who don't know any better and the parents who either don't know or don't care about the health of their children. I agree banning is not the answer. Did prohibition work?
                Alcohol is often abused and leads to all sorts of horror for those who abuse and sometimes the victims of their actions.

What's the answer to all this overconsumption, bad choices, lack of exercise and abuse of drugs and alcohol? How much of our behavior can be legislated? If I could effect a change I would consider two paths to healthier Americans. Here is where I lose support from both sides of this debate. First I would encourage healthy eating and exercise with some kind of reward system, maybe lower insurance rates, and easier access to all sorts of exercise situations. Secondly, I would limit healthcare to folks who simply refuse to limit bad habits like smoking, drugs, drinking, etc. I know it sounds like big brother on steroids, but take a hard look at most folks and see the results of our lifestyle of overindulgence! I agree with Flux that we have people who can'tthin for themselves, so they abuse their health, put others at risk with their behavior, then burden the hospitals and legal system with their problems.

Legislating personal choices and behavior is a slippery slope for sure. Now we have folks aborting the unborn because the sex is not what they wanted! Heck, I gladly oblige them because that sounds like some kind of futuristic horror story, but the catch would be mandatory sterilzation so they would not have to "suffer" further hard decisions. Is life making less and less sense to anyone else?

Comment

I know you're playing devil's advocate but it is a problem that needs addressing.
                  It's not that I'm playing devils advocate, it's that I'm emphatically against the government telling us what we can and can't consume drink and food wise. It's none of the Governments business if my kid eats a cheeseburger, or drinks a slurpee. Last I looked, we still have a document called the Constitution in this country.

Comment

It's not that I'm playing devils advocate, it's that I'm emphatically against the government telling us what we can and can't consume drink and food wise. It's none of the Governments business if my kid eats a cheeseburger, or drinks a slurpee. Last I looked, we still have a document called the Constitution in this country.
                    Flux, you're right about the Constitution. I just don't want to pay for what I think are poor choices that others consider their rights. Feed your kid cheeseburgers until he explodes, drink and do drugs until your brain or liver die, but don't infringe on my rights by having me pay for the hospital care, court/prison fees, or personal injury or death suffered by your exercising of rights. That was the point of my post and reply. The exercising of rights guaranteed under the Constitution concern me when they become my business, bill, higher insurance or taxes due to folks who don't know when to slow down with food, drugs, alcohol or risky behavior.

Just so you don't think I'm trying to come off like a choir boy here, there was a time when I drank and drove, drove way too fast and did some other risky, stupid stuff. I was lucky and so were the folks around me, no one ever got hurt because of my choices. That needs to stop, not because I wised up but because our nation is broke and can't afford what comes with bad choices excused as rights and freedoms. How many more abortions or emergency room visits do we need to pay for because folks didn't think a bit more before acting?

My younger daughter ate a lot of good food and junk food growing up. She got heavy, and before it became a health risk, we got her the help of a nutritionist. It cost us money, but she learned enough to make better choices and have a better life. Now, it was my right to not take that path and her right to keep eating poorly. The result of that would have been all sorts of health problems and healthcare expense that hopefully will not be necessary now. I think there needs to be some kind of balance invloving our overall rights ,and how they impact those around us ,and not just ourselves. Frank

Comment

I just don't want to pay for what I think are poor choices that others consider their rights.
                      Doing 56mph in a 55mph zone (breaking the law) and killing someone is a poor choice as well, and your tax dollars pay for that person to spend some time in jail. Should we ban cars because he decided to go 1mph over the speed limit?

Why is this debate centered around children? I eat cheeseburgers, and I'm not about to explode...now what? Shall I go to confession and confess my sins? Why did the good lord give us teeth, I don't think he wanted us to eat plants for our entire life.

Maybe it should be law that all citizens be confined to their homes and live in bubbles so we don't contaminate the world and eat cheese burgers.

Frank, civil wars were started over nonsense like this...I hope this country doesn't repeat history.

Comment

I'm probably not explaining myself well, so you don't get the point I'm trying to make. I think there is a big difference between enjoying all sorts of unhealthy foods, drugs and alcohol in moderation, as opposed to excess. The excess is where I have a problem because of how it affects others. Flux, is it nonsense for our insurance rates to go up because so many kids ,and adults are very unhealthy due to poor eating habits? Why should I have to pay because someone else likes to eat until they weigh 500lbs and need all sorts of healthcare? Is it nonsense for the courts to be crowded with D.U.I. defendants, or for folks to suffer because of their actions? Do you see any difference between doing 56mph in a 55mph zone, and doing 135mph in a 55?

Flux, I have no problem with you or anyone else eating cheeseburgers, slurpeys, or any other high sugar, high fat, foods. Heck, I eat some of that stuff myself ,and I don't want to be told what or how to eat either! But, I beleive if we are going to take our indulgences to an extreme where it affects others, now it becomes a problem, and not a right. Do you still think you ,or I should pay because other folks have no self control? Frank
                        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 06-04-2012, 12:29 AM.

Comment

I'm probably not explaining myself well, so you don't get the point I'm trying to make. I think there is a big difference between enjoying all sorts of unhealthy foods, drugs and alcohol in moderation, as opposed to excess. The excess is where I have a problem because of how it affects others. Flux, is it nonsense for our insurance rates to go up because so many kids ,and adults are very unhealthy due to poor eating habits? Why should I have to pay because someone else likes to eat until they weigh 500lbs and need all sorts of healthcare? Is it nonsense for the courts to be crowded with D.U.I. defendants, or for folks to suffer because of their actions? Do you see any difference between doing 56mph in a 55mph zone, and doing 135mph in a 55?

Flux, I have no problem with you or anyone else eating cheeseburgers, slurpeys, or any other high sugar, high fat, foods. Heck, I eat some of that stuff myself ,and I don't want to be told what or how to eat either! But, I beleive if we are going to take our indulgences to an extreme where it affects others, now it becomes a problem, and not a right. Do you still think you ,or I should pay because other folks have no self control? Frank
                          Frank, isn't this more of an un-insured problem than a consumption problem?

How many of these kids are born with bad genes and will have a problem in life keeping weight off because of it?

If people truly take issue with consumption of fatty foods by kids, I think I would be for punishing the parent then trying to ban something.

Comment

Frank, isn't this more of an un-insured problem than a consumption problem?

How many of these kids are born with bad genes and will have a problem in life keeping weight off because of it?

If people truly take issue with consumption of fatty foods by kids, I think I would be for punishing the parent then trying to ban something.
                            No Flux, it is 100% over consumption and I'll explain. When I was a kid, very few kids were overweight/obese. I recall the son of the butcher and the kids of the family that owned the bakery were heavy and probably because they had access to more food than most.
                            I don't buy the theory of the fat gene when as a kid a cupcake was a small thing, hamburgers were one to a bun, hot dogs were not a foot long and you ate a slice or two of pizza, not a "personal" pizza. We ate moderate sized portions and played for hours after school and on weekends. We were not sitting in front of tv's, computers, ipods or gameboys for hours on end.

I don't want to ban the consumption of these foods, or punish parents. I want kids to have a fighting chance at good health, is that an impossible goal? I still think the other things I pointed out regarding adults exercising their individual rights to the point of negatively impact others has some merit. Clint Eastwood as "Dirty Harry" said it best, "A man's got to know his limitations!". Too many folks don't know when to stop and it hurts more than just themselves. I take issue with irresponsible behavior, not food, alcohol or the folks who sell or serve it.

Comment

No Flux, it is 100% over consumption and I'll explain. When I was a kid, very few kids were overweight/obese. I recall the son of the butcher and the kids of the family that owned the bakery were heavy and probably because they had access to more food than most.
                              I don't buy the theory of the fat gene when as a kid a cupcake was a small thing, hamburgers were one to a bun, hot dogs were not a foot long and you ate a slice or two of pizza, not a "personal" pizza. We ate moderate sized portions and played for hours after school and on weekends. We were not sitting in front of tv's, computers, ipods or gameboys for hours on end.

I don't want to ban the consumption of these foods, or punish parents. I want kids to have a fighting chance at good health, is that an impossible goal? I still think the other things I pointed out regarding adults exercising their individual rights to the point of negatively impact others has some merit. Clint Eastwood as "Dirty Harry" said it best, "A man's got to know his limitations!". Too many folks don't know when to stop and it hurts more than just themselves. I take issue with irresponsible behavior, not food, alcohol or the folks who sell or serve it.
                              You basically answered the problems we face, as you can't compare to when you were a kid to todays kids. Even when I was a kid, I was outside playing all the time, as my parents would never let us just sit around like couch potatoes.

You grew up in where your mother went to the store each day to buy fresh meat and vegetables. You most likely had an icebox..so that's why you didn't have large portions of food, because people back then didn't waste food.

I think we both agree that banning any types of food, because it's unhealthy for you, is not the answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X