Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use regular drill bit through cast iron? Slow speed and oil?

1921 General Railroad Signal Company KB TIME RELAY has a cast iron body with rectangular molded glass bowl cover - much like an electric meter cover.
    It is from a railroad grade crossing signal "instrument case".

A 10 VDC power supply would power a small 12V. light bulb I would place inside to illuminate the dial and relay contacts and maybe operate the 10 VDC relay on occasion.

Can I drill through theavy cast iron body using a regular drill bit at slow speed with lots of oil?
    First drill a small hole and thenlarge?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-30-2012, 06:33 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Use regular drill bit through cast iron? Slow speed and oil?

Cast iron is very easy to drill. Drilling through the glass without breaking it, not so much. Find a bit special for the glass to help make sure you are ok and any metal bit will go through the cast like butter.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

the cast iron is gamble, about 98% of the time it will drill like butter and then at times you will find some that has hard spots, and it will destroy a bit in a few seconds, it just depends on the cast and the quality of it, all you can do is try it, some times one can drill and hit a hard spot and then move over a 1/4 of an inch, and drill with out any problems,

remember car engines are mostly cast iron and are drilled and taped all over the place, as well as most gear boxes and so on, (my guess is you will not have any problems,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Go to grangers and get a small can of TAP MAGIC. I love this stuff , and use it threading pipe also.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
        X