Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oil change frequency?

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    that may have been true of early oil monitors in the 90s like my 96 Impala SS, but the current crop are more sophisticated. They use all the data from the cars computers to determine when the oil is at the end of its useful life. As BHD said oil temp, idle hours, load factors (the computer knows how hard it is working such as when pulling a trailer) all factor into the mix.

That may well be the case although I'm not the manufacturer I'm wondering if they thought it worthwhile to put all the effort into keeping a track of all these things and doing the necessary calcs to come up with the oil change interval. Keeping real-time info and calculating things like load factor using what is probably a fairly crude micro and then storing the data seems unlikely. These car ECMs don't have much memory - just enough to keep some of the mapping tables as well as freeze frame data. That said I have not looked at the internals of a ECM of a relatively new car so possibly this may be true.

Are you saying this based on first hand knowledge of one or more ECM units of cars, their internal design and what things the s/w does in order to trigger the oil change light?

Real-time analysis of oil is extremely unlikely - I'm sure it can be done but I doubt any manufacturer is going to be doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      I may be old school but I would be cautious about that that 0 wt oil,

I do not know if you remember the old STP commercial, they had a heavy WT, additive, (basically gear lube with out all the additive that made it stink), and the commercial would show some one place a straight blade screw drive in it, and attempt to hold on to the shank and blade of the screw drive, they had Strong men do it, and no one could grip that driver enough to hang on to it, but if it was done with a thin WT oil you could grip it easily,

your "0" wt oil is thin, the film of protection, it thin, and the lubrication is very thin layer, by using a heaver weight of oil your layer of protection would be greater,

(I know the tolerances of modern engines are tighter than when the STP adds ran, and many of them now recommend the 10wt and 5 wt oils but unless an engine called for lighter by the manufactures I would use the heaver not the lighter oils) (I know the additives that give oil film strength is much greater than what it was a few years ago, (example auto matice tras oil and and old gear oil) both seem to protect gears, and most all transmission use the 10 wt oils in them now, (where at one time viscosity was the only way to obtain pressure contact film protection,

If you want easy to change just change it with the oil warm, even 40wt oil oil runs like water when warm,

I can not imagine what the 0 wt would oil would be like coming out of an engine at 200 F,

that is my two cents, and it did not even cost you a penny, but I think running that 0 wt oil may end up costing one some Penny's

I do think depending on some physical properties instead of just chemical properties, would not be a bad thing, (for example would you run your engine with diesel fuel for a lubricant in it, or would you prefer to run your engine with 30wt non detergent oil. I know the straight 30wt oil would offer more protection than the carrier oil (diesel fuel) would, (I realize diesel fuel is not just oil but it serves for my example of a 0wt oil),
      My understanding of the 0W30 synthetic I use (as Frank says) is that the "runniness" of the oil and cold temps is the same as when it is hot. It does not mean that the oil thins out even more at running temps. Remember this is synthetic oil we are talking about - not conventional oil. I switched to 0W30 after good reports on it one of the Pontiac forums.

Comment

I don't have the most confidence in what manufacturers recommend considering some of the products they offer and how poorly they are made and hold up to normal use. I would not use synthetic oil on an engine that burns or loses oil due to leaks, that plain wasteful.
        If you read about synthetics they "meet or exceed" any recommendations or needs. I have always been good with changing oil and filters on my cars but sometimes it doesn't help. My wife's 1998 ford windstar 3.8liter V6 got regular oil, filter, air filter and tuneups. The van was not abused and the engine had problem at 100k, bad no.1 cylinder. If you read some of these car forums it makes you wonder if our big three automakers can produce a decent vehicle.I would recommend anyone using synthetic oil and going for extended oil changes to use a synthetic oil filter because the media used does not break down over time as does paper. I never used a reuseable air filter, but air filter replacement is also important.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I don't have the most confidence in what manufacturers recommend considering some of the products they offer and how poorly they are made and hold up to normal use. I would not use synthetic oil on an engine that burns or loses oil due to leaks, that plain wasteful.
          If you read about synthetics they "meet or exceed" any recommendations or needs. I have always been good with changing oil and filters on my cars but sometimes it doesn't help. My wife's 1998 ford windstar 3.8liter V6 got regular oil, filter, air filter and tuneups. The van was not abused and the engine had problem at 100k, bad no.1 cylinder. If you read some of these car forums it makes you wonder if our big three automakers can produce a decent vehicle.I would recommend anyone using synthetic oil and going for extended oil changes to use a synthetic oil filter because the media used does not break down over time as does paper. I never used a reuseable air filter, but air filter replacement is also important.
          Yes these are valid points also. If you buy a used car with a lot of miles synthetic would probably be a waste of money. In my case one car (2007 model) I bought new and the other (2001 model) at one year old and I've used synthetic in both of them since day 1. The 2001 model is now at 140K and barely burns oil. But it would be naive to think that this is due to synthetic - many people find a reason to attribute a car with a long life with maintenance but in reality there is sufficient variance in the manufacturing process and other factors that that you don't have control of.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
            Are you saying this based on first hand knowledge of one or more ECM units of cars, their internal design and what things the s/w does in order to trigger the oil change light?
            My manual says the oil life monitor takes into account engine revolutions, temperature, and driver use. The last item sounds like it could take into account things like throttle input, run time, the amount/frequency/interval of shifting that occurs, idle time. In any case, I think I'll let the system tell me when to change the oil, or I'll wait 12k miles, whichever comes first.

Comment

Holy Cow Batman! That must be one expensive oil change by a dealership More like a vehicle repurchase LOL

I thought it was expensive to change the oil in my Volvo !

You got me beat ! LOL

I change mine whenever I remember

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              wait until you have a van that holds 14 quarts of synthetic oil, an expensive oil, air and fuel filter. the computer factors in mileage, idle time and even oil level. it will warn you when it's getting within 500 miles of a change. so far the 2 times has been at 10,000 miles. can't reset the computer without a free trip to the dealer.

so far so good.

rick.
              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

My Tundra gets the oil changed, with mobile 1, between 10K and 15K miles depending upon harshness of use. It is now at 200k miles. the wife's new car has the new 0 weight oil. No idea on oil changes for that.
                Mike

Comment

That 0 weight oil is really nice in terms of when doing the oil change since it is so runny and easy to pour/drain. I also use Mobil 1 and it is backward compatible with 5W-30 which is what my cars are speced for. Price is the same at Walmart for both.

Comment

I have never been one to do frequent oil changes. I have always driven pickup trucks. GMC or Chevy mostly. My 89 went well over 200K miles with four oil changes. My 01 GMC has had four and it's just under 200K. It drives my Brother-in-law nuts, as he is a mechanic among other things. Maybe I'm just lucky.

My John Deere tractor had 200 hours before I had to change the break in oil. That surprised me, but that is what the dealer recommended.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                      My John Deere tractor had 200 hours before I had to change the break in oil. That surprised me, but that is what the dealer recommended.
                      What kind of engine? My Cub Cadet with the Kawasaki engine calls for the first oil change at 10 hours IIRC.

Comment

every 8000 km here in canada. my vechile uses 5w30.

Comment

Working...
                        X