X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "G" Word

Curious if any of you guys out there ever had any dealings with gout? I had my first gout attack on the 15th of last month in my big toe joint on my left foot. I've watched my Dad battle with gout off and on for 30 years before he got a grip on it. Let me tell ya...it's a whole new level of pain that I had never experienced!!! So, Jonesy has had to make a few lifestyle changes in the last month. Stayin' away from red meats, breads, beans, and most of all...the BEER!!! I do enjoy drinkin' beer, but when just a bedsheet layin' on your foot brings tears to your eyes, well somethings gotta change. Hope this thread finds all of you doing well and gout free!!!

Re: The "G" Word

Apparently nobody cares about your toe Jonesey
    sigpic

Comment

I would agree my friend. Touche'. What's happenin' up north? You guys out of school? Our last day with students was May 16, and my last day was this past Friday. I go back August 1 and get students on Aug. 9.

Comment

i thought gout was considered the disease of the kings.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

We are Kings indeed.

Got out last Thursday. Best day of the year. Like Christmas, 4th of July and your birthday all rolled up into one. The state just finished evaluating my program and I had to sit in a meeting with all them mucky mucks for 3 hrs discussing the findings. 3 hours later I still have no clue what they were talking about but they did say they want to use my rubric's plans and assessments for the other 3 programs in the state so I guess I'll be here for awhile. We are back the 27 of August but I'll be in all summer long revamping the HVAC lab I got about 30 pieces of equipment from Pinkerton Academy when they closed their program. Now I need to make places to put it all. Hope the gout let's up soon. My grandfather had it in his right foot. Doc said it was from drinking too much Scotch. Gramp's said that if he drank enough Scotch the pain in his foot went away for awhile.
          sigpic

Comment

Kings indeed!!! I even have my own castle!!! Hey, does NH perform an annual program assessment on your school? We have a 17 standard box (with many subcategories in each standard) that we have to account for. The highest overall score you can get is a 4, so I usually shoot for a 3-3.5 . The state of KY reviews our entire school each February.

Comment

Not yet we don't. As far as I know, this is the first time a plumbing CTE program has ever been evaluated here.
              sigpic

Comment

so according to the history of gout, you're either a king or a rich man

from wikipedia.

rick.

History

Antonie van Leeuwenhoek described the microscopic appearance of uric acid crystals in 1679.[47]

The word gout was initially used by Randolphus of Bocking, around 1200 AD. It is derived from the Latin word gutta, meaning "a drop" (of liquid).[47] According to the Oxford English Dictionary, this is derived from humorism and "the notion of the 'dropping' of a morbid material from the blood in and around the joints".[48]
                Gout has, however, been known since antiquity. Historically, it has been referred to as "the king of diseases and the disease of kings"[6][49] or "rich man's disease".[50] The first documentation of the disease is from Egypt in 2,600 BC in a description of arthritis of the big toe. The Greek physician Hippocrates around 400 BC commented on it in his Aphorisms, noting its absence in eunuchs and premenopausal women.[47][51] Aulus Cornelius Celsus (30 AD) described the linkage with alcohol, later onset in women, and associated kidney problems:
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  so according to the history of gout, you're either a king or a rich man

from wikipedia.

rick.

History

Antonie van Leeuwenhoek described the microscopic appearance of uric acid crystals in 1679.[47]

The word gout was initially used by Randolphus of Bocking, around 1200 AD. It is derived from the Latin word gutta, meaning "a drop" (of liquid).[47] According to the Oxford English Dictionary, this is derived from humorism and "the notion of the 'dropping' of a morbid material from the blood in and around the joints".[48]
                  Gout has, however, been known since antiquity. Historically, it has been referred to as "the king of diseases and the disease of kings"[6][49] or "rich man's disease".[50] The first documentation of the disease is from Egypt in 2,600 BC in a description of arthritis of the big toe. The Greek physician Hippocrates around 400 BC commented on it in his Aphorisms, noting its absence in eunuchs and premenopausal women.[47][51] Aulus Cornelius Celsus (30 AD) described the linkage with alcohol, later onset in women, and associated kidney problems:
                  Your telling me they couldn`t find a cure in 4,612 years since it was discovered in 2600BC in Egypt

Tony

Comment

G'day AFM

You did notice that he said

"The Greek physician Hippocrates around 400 BC commented on it in his Aphorisms, noting its absence in eunuchs ...."

Are you ready for the cure?

Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X