X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Old & Hurting For This Work

Been waking up in the middle of the night and morning with very bad neck pain and headaches which last an hour or so. Herniated discs acting up from stress and strain. My kitchen faucet single lever, into a single hole needed replacing so I ordered online and got a Kohler delivered in two days. The simple job of removing the old unit and installing the new on my back under the sink, was enough to give me a bad headache that's just now letting up(8hrs!). If I had the extra money I would have gladly paid a pro to save this pain. I'll have to start putting some money aside for the future because there are just some things I'm not up to doing anymore. Stinks to have the tools, knowledge and desire to repair things, but just not the body.

Re: Too Old & Hurting For This Work

Sorry Frank, If You were closer,I'd gladly help
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      Sorry Frank, If You were closer,I'd gladly help
      Thanks Tool. The funny thing is that I hate to admit defeat so I would probably decline such a generous offer. I keep thinking about that Dirty Harry line, "A Man's got to know his limitations!". I keep suggesting my wife find a younger husband or boyfriend and she tells me the one she has is one too many.

Comment

i saw a handyman with a truck his company name was "the honey due list...keeping your honny happy, when you dont have time to" i thought it was great marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
          i saw a handyman with a truck his company name was "the honey due list...keeping your honny happy, when you dont have time to" i thought it was great marketing.
          I saw one yesterday said: 'I fix what your husband breaks'

Frank, changing out a kitchen faucet sounds easy but it's always a pain. All the reaching and twisting under the cabinet can wreak havoc on your back and shoulders Best to do some yoga streching before attempting that again and add lots of padding in the cabinet. For the back pain try a TENS unit. helped me get pain relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Been waking up in the middle of the night and morning with very bad neck pain and headaches which last an hour or so. Herniated discs acting up from stress and strain. My kitchen faucet single lever, into a single hole needed replacing so I ordered online and got a Kohler delivered in two days. The simple job of removing the old unit and installing the new on my back under the sink, was enough to give me a bad headache that's just now letting up(8hrs!). If I had the extra money I would have gladly paid a pro to save this pain. I'll have to start putting some money aside for the future because there are just some things I'm not up to doing anymore. Stinks to have the tools, knowledge and desire to repair things, but just not the body.
            Bad neck pains and headaches are what I had except for the added burning sensation on the back of my left hand and if I had waited any longer not having the operation I was told that in five years it would have been to late and I could have ended up a paraplegic and if you don`t have this investigated Frank not by you local doctor but a surgeon who specializes in necks then you are kidding yourself.

Tony

Tony

Comment

I know I can hardly work under a car or truck any more, (it does help if I remove the bifocals, some thing about them and being on my back and not being able to focus), and the fun of getting up off the floor is fun any more,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Franki,

I more than understand your pain and frustration. I've suffered headaches for as long as I can remember, but with this neck injury of mine in 2002, it has led to constant pain and numbness along most of my left side. That and other problems, seem to have really sapped my energy and ambition in the last couple of years.

On the plus side though, I simply refuse to do plumbing!!!! I've never seen or experienced a "simple" plumbing job and every thing involving plumbing leads to far more than what it should be. He!!, I'll do carpentry, electricity, drywall and plastering, painting, yard work and many other things... but for plumbing or any degree, I pick up the phone. Fortunately, I think I have a very dependable and reasonable plumbing company that I have great confidence in.

But for anything else, it is really frustrating at my age (almost 68). Right now, I'm faced with some concrete repair and odd as it may be, I've never done any kind of concrete work, ever. So, now I'm facing that challenge... do I call someone or do I attempt to do it myself. It sounds simple enough, but in asking around with relatives (my BIL had a similar job done), it seems like it could be ridiculously expensive ($2K ?). That seems like a lot of money for removing some scaling and re-cementing the surface of a 10 x 7 ft area. But that may well be the price for getting it done right, I simply don't know. But it sure makes me want to suck it up, pop a few more asperin and flexiral and do some OJT.

Here's hoping that that both our pains decrease,

CWS

Comment

Frank,
                  I truly feel you pain, but when you give up, you dry up and blow away. Reaching room temperature is not an option. Just keep after it.

I'll be 65 on the 28th of June. My apprentice just turned 75. Yesterday, we hung 100' of water line w/10 drops, 16' up off of a couple of ladders in a warehouse that was over 100 degrees, and made it home by noon. With ProPress it doesn't take all day to earn a days pay.
                  Ibuprofen is my miracle medicine, and ProPress is magic in my hands.

For those pesky faucets, I bought one of these a while back, and it really cut my time laying cramped up under those kitchen sinks and lav's. It beats the hell out of a basin wrench. Give a try on your next faucet replacement.

Faucet & Sink Installer - RIDGID Professional Tools

Hang tough.
                  AP

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys. 17 yrs ago when the kitchen was being redone, I installed three ball valve shutoffs in my crawspace. One for the hot and cold feeding the sink and one for the dishwasher supply. Instead of using the shutoffs under the sink I had to go fancy and use the ones in the crawlspace. Once I had the faucet installed and everything tightened, I rushed to thecrawlspace and turned on the ballvalves. Unfortunately in my rush and with my head spinning from laying on my back, I turned on the cold and mistakenly shut off the ballvalve to the dishwasher thinking I was turning on the hot feed. Don't shake your heads it gets better.When I got no pressure turning the single lever towards the hot, I assumed it had to be adjusted, so I removed the handle and tried to adjust the lever rotation and temperature. Luckily I only did that for a couple minutes until I decided to recheck the valves in the crawlspace. I felt pretty stupid.
                    Turned out fine, no leaks, no complaints aside from the aches and pains.

I push myself to keep doing different taskes, but I try understand that some things are just too much. I change the oil on our three cars, a simple,easy job, but I'm dizzy afterwards and feel like I'm going to get upset for a while? I enjoy cement patch work, but the last big job I did with cement was 4000lbs mixed by hand years ago for a small retaining wall. I learned that in the future, it is wise to do the prep work including building forms, but have the cement or concrete delivered ready to pour!

A few months ago I changed the kitchen faucet at my Father inlaws house and he has a double sink, both of which are sort of shallow.
                    I had plenty of room under the cabinet and behind the sinks, unlike my sink at home. The new hot and cold feeds were just too short to grab while sitting up and not much space between the sink and back wall. I'm glad it's over. I joke with a couple buddies that I hope I either hit Lotto or die in my sleep before I have to do someo f these jobs again

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                      Franki,

I more than understand your pain and frustration. I've suffered headaches for as long as I can remember, but with this neck injury of mine in 2002, it has led to constant pain and numbness along most of my left side. That and other problems, seem to have really sapped my energy and ambition in the last couple of years.

On the plus side though, I simply refuse to do plumbing!!!! I've never seen or experienced a "simple" plumbing job and every thing involving plumbing leads to far more than what it should be. He!!, I'll do carpentry, electricity, drywall and plastering, painting, yard work and many other things... but for plumbing or any degree, I pick up the phone. Fortunately, I think I have a very dependable and reasonable plumbing company that I have great confidence in.

But for anything else, it is really frustrating at my age (almost 68). Right now, I'm faced with some concrete repair and odd as it may be, I've never done any kind of concrete work, ever. So, now I'm facing that challenge... do I call someone or do I attempt to do it myself. It sounds simple enough, but in asking around with relatives (my BIL had a similar job done), it seems like it could be ridiculously expensive ($2K ?). That seems like a lot of money for removing some scaling and re-cementing the surface of a 10 x 7 ft area. But that may well be the price for getting it done right, I simply don't know. But it sure makes me want to suck it up, pop a few more asperin and flexiral and do some OJT.

Here's hoping that that both our pains decrease,

CWS
                      CWS, there are all sorts of variables to what you described. How much debris must be removed and how thick wil the top coat be? Do you have all the tools necessary (long floats), will you mix by hand??? Given the injuries you mentioned, i would seriously lean towards getting a pro to come in and do it right! You're not talking about 10x7 of peel and stick tiles. There will be a lot of chiseling, chipping, lifting, sweeping, dust, possible acid etching to prep the surface and more. I find repetative movements inflame the injuries, and you will be on your hands and knees do this work, not good for neck problems! No shame in letting some things go to the pros so you can be well enough to do other work. Frank

Comment

Franki,

Thanks for advice. I had a relative look at it yesterday, only to realize that his experience wasn't really anymore than mine. Given that, I do believe I'm going to be making some phone calls tomorrow. While there are some things I dread doing and some I actually look forward to, one of flaws I have is not having the confidence to venture into projects of which I have NO experience whatsoever. Certainly "reading" about the process and the possible challenges is a learning experience, putting that into practice in the real world has me leaning toward "call an pro". (The question of course is determining who is and who isn't... so I guess I get a couple of appraisals.)

Again, thanks for the advice. It's much appreciated.

CWS

Comment

Sounds like its time for a good apprentice.

And slow down man! Work with your brains. Not your back. Take a extra, however long it takes to do it thoroughly right the first time. You know what it takes. Now slow down and do it.

Do it right. Do it once. Do it wrong. Do it again.

Comment

I always thought my knees would be the first thing to give me problems, but its my shoulders. Probably from doing faucet swaps like yours Frank
                            26+6=1

Comment

Working...
                            X