Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

Originally posted by wiz View Post
    If they take our guns then only the crooks will have them. They will buy them from some underground sorce.
    or ATF agents.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
      The survey is from November of 2007. No harm in partaking, but I rather doubt anyone is monitoring it anymore.
      then they should disable it or take it down altogether.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

If the government can decide who owns guns, then the power to defend ourselves from that government, when it exceeds its constitutional binding, is not our own.

Comment

Help prevent forest fires........register matches.
          26+6=1

Comment

I love My weapons. If the cops came for them, I would die with them. I'd take a few with Me.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Anyone remember what happened in the movie Red Dawn? The invading enemy forces got to the town hall records and found out who owned registered guns. A well armed population is a very good defense!

Comment

And there in lies the whole problem... everytime the issue comes up, too many people react with this "If the cops came for them, I would die with them" response. It simply doesn't make any sense! Instead of being concerned about the fact that some nut got hold of a weapon and used it to kill and how that was able to happen, enthusiasts react like it's a personal issue and the cops are coming for them. Where is the logic or the history of that?

Sadly, if the cops or the army should suddenly decide to come for your guns it will be because so many criminals have brought so much havoc to our society that such extreme measures will be brought about. (Isn't that what happened to "machine guns" back in the 30's... when Depression spawned so many machine gun wielding gangsters that the cops were simply outgunned, and therefore the public availability was banned?... [That's a question, not a statement, as I really don't know the facts.])

But if there ever is a time when the cops do come, your position would most likely end poorly. It matters little whether you and I and all of our friends have our gun collections. All of that pales quickly in the face of a well-armed police or military force, unless of course you've got a tank or two in your arsenal as well as anti-aircraft capabilities.

Personally, defending the 2nd amendment is much more important to our interest and to do that successfully I think we need to understand that limiting widespread availability to the criminal elements of our society is an important part of that defense. As an issue of personal defense against an imagined beligerant government, I think we are fooling ourselves and doing an injustice to both our interests and to our government that is democratically elected.

What I think we are facing today, is very much like what we might have faced back in the 1800's with guns being sold to rampaging indians along the western frontier. I wonder how many of those frontier families would have been spouting the 2nd Amendment rights for all those native Americans?

The rights provided by the 2nd Amendment is a wonderful thing, but I think our society, especially those of us who are "pro-gun", need to manage it reasonably, so that criminal elements are prevented from acquisition. Unless we recognize these elements, and the negative impact that they have on our interests, then our society will continue to grow in its "anti-gun" numbers. We cannot forget that we are a Democracy!

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 06-30-2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

There will always be deaths associated to gun ownership resulting from accidents, heat of the moment disputes and people who are empowered by their gun and abuse their ownership. I wonder if overall crime would go down once more law abiding Americans were armed, and not just the criminals?
                  Crime has gone down everywhere they have allowed a citizen to carry. And more people get hurt in the bathtub than they do with handguns owned by responsible civilians.

If you want more discussion than you can stand about conceal carry and handguns, visit: USA Carry - Concealed Carry Forum
                  Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

The situation in mexico deserves to be part of this discussion. There are large numbers of well armed criminals who kill eachother, unarmed citizens, and wipe out entire police departments. They murder teachers and students who get in their way. I wonder what would happen if all the citizens were required to carry guns, and be trained in their use? Maybe there would be a bloodbath, maybe the army needs to step in, but when the criminals outnumber the good guys and are better armed we see the results!

Comment

When seconds count, the Police are always minutes away.

We have a constitutional right to own a gun in this country...end of story.

The day the anti gun people concede to starting a campaign against alcoholic killers in this country and giving them background checks before they walk into a bar or liquor store...I'll concede to more gun control.

I always like to say, Ted Kennedy's car killed more people than the 15 or so firearms and thousands of rounds of ammunition that I own.

Comment

Maine has 6 registered guns for each registered voter and god knows how many non per citizen. I have way way more than my share

The whole argument is foolish in the first place. Just like illegal aliens, there are far too many guns out there for the government or anybody to ever be able to round them all up. I have a lot of guns and none of them are registered because none of them were bought at gun stores or from firearms dealers. All of them were either handed down to me or purchased from individual sale which is legal here. I am not unusual either, I would bet the majority of guns out there are unregistered. I also seriously doubt that if the government were to try to round them all up that guys like me would comply.
                        sigpic

Comment

There are a dwindling # of WW 2 widows out there. Many of them will gladly swap a nice 1911 45 for some
                          Work. And no papers to boot. you have to ask, or you don,t get !
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well smitty, i see where you stand. you would have given up your guns to the Nazis and gone off to the camps. not this Irish family. Do you think i became a Marine to give up the constituation ?

Comment

I think there are many benefits to owning a gun even if you neve have to use it for self defense.
                              There is a cetain peace of mind one has in having a gun at home, just in case. It is helpful when your wife won't let up nagging you, just take it out for a cleaning and smile

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                                I think there are many benefits to owning a gun even if you neve have to use it for self defense.
                                There is a cetain peace of mind one has in having a gun at home, just in case. It is helpful when your wife won't let up nagging you, just take it out for a cleaning and smile
                                My sweet lil wife has her own gun, and out shoots me with the 1911.
                                Range instrustor, best$ i ever spent

Comment

Working...
                                X