Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Right To Own Guns Survey

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

    Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Well smitty, i see where you stand. you would have given up your guns to the Nazis and gone off to the camps. not this Irish family. Do you think i became a Marine to give up the constituation ?
    Tool, if by "smitty" you are referring to CWSmith and his comments, You sure interpret what he said differently than I do. I read him as supporting the 2nd and taking an approach that will maintain it--not one of tossing in the towel and melting down all the guns and their owners.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

      I don't think it's asking too much to find out the mental state of someone prior to them acquiring a firearm legally. I want more law abiding, sane people to have a greater opportunity to own a gun. Not taking some steps to prevent those who are mentally disturbed from legally owning a gun and going on a rampage, makes it bad for all of us! George Zimmerman got a gun for the wrong reasons and used it for the wrong purpose. He was not in danger and was told to back off! What he did was not self defense, it was murder after he pursued and engaged someone who was not an immediate threat. A gun should be used for protection, not to embolden the owner to act like a police officer.
      I am all for ownership, but if we are going to encourage such behavior then we must require the same standards and training as police officers.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

        Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Well smitty, i see where you stand. you would have given up your guns to the Nazis and gone off to the camps. not this Irish family. Do you think i became a Marine to give up the constituation ?
        Tool,

        If that reference is for me, I think you need to sharpen your reading skills. No body suggested any surrender here and I totally support the 2nd Amendment. Problem with everybody's arguement here is that is always an "all or nothing" interpretation. It's always about "the government" coming to take away your guns, and all too often, it's like the "Nazi's" and the whole reason we have our guns is to keep the Nazi's from doing to us as they did to the Jews!

        (You ever see the movie, "Defiance"? Came out just a couple of years ago and is now available on DVD. Good flick, it's a true story about the Bielski brothers and thier defiance of the Nazis. It's well worth watching.)

        What I fear, is a situation like Mexico (as Frandi mentioned)... that is what a lack of gun control can do and that is largely what the NRA seems to be supporting in it's wide-eyed hysteria that it lovingly promotes. We are selling weapons in great quantiy to the drug cartels and yet for all of that carnage, we absolutely DO NOT WANT any controls or prohibition of any kind. What does that say for us as a people?

        And Franki, in Mexico you can put a firearm in the hands of every citizen, but how does that stop a drug gang from targeting a neighborhood party, a bar, a restaurant, or the local newspaper office with a hit squad armed with heavy automatic weapons? Answer is, it doesn't! If you were there, you might be able to get off a shot or two and maybe even hit someone, but your whole family would die.

        The fault and the problem is NOT you and I and the weapons that we own! Nor is the problem that some government is going to take them away. The problem is that without controls of some kind (and those controls already exist in many states) we are simply going to be outgunned at some point. The problem also exists with the simple mentality of some person who too easily acquired a firearm and now feels really secure with that weapon at hand.

        It's like, okay I got it. Now, should I keep it loaded and at hand? Should I carry it? But of course, I have it because I feel endangered, that's why I got it! Now, what do I do if someone bumps into me, should I consider that threatening. What if some guy starts sceaming at me because he thinks I just stole his parking spot, or he thinks I looked at him or his girl the wrong way. What if he looks at my wife the wrong way? Do I reach for my weapon, just in case? Hey, he's bigger than I am, should I feel threatened by that? Hey, what's that guy doing in my neighborhood, or why is he stopped in front of my house, or what does he think he's doing?... not anymore man, I have my great "equalizer" with me!

        And what about that drunk guy that came knocking at my door a few nights ago at 10:00 PM or the kid who threw that bottle on my sidewalk (or did he just drop it?)... What about the event last year when I caught some kids cutting through my backyard... yeah, they were "black" and maybe up to no good... or maybe they were just taking a short cut! Do I take my weapon and confront them?

        Problem is that why I may be armed, there's a whole lot of events where being "cool" is essential. How many of those "armed" people have that foresight? How many of us are well skilled at avoiding a conflict, but once armed may not feel so inclined?

        Again, I AM NOT against any non-felon owning a firearm. But training, needs to go with that responsibility. I don't have a "collection", but I've had firearms for more than 50 years. I'm also a very good driver and much of that is because I drive defensively. There are some very stupid, belligerant, and totally incompetant people out there behind the wheel. The difference between the car and the gun, is that with a car you need to pass a test and the law watches over the roadways for signs of incompetance and dangerous behaviour.

        CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 07-01-2012, 11:38 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

          "And Franki, in Mexico you can put a firearm in the hands of every citizen, but how does that stop a drug gang from targeting a neighborhood party, a bar, a restaurant, or the local newspaper office with a hit squad armed with heavy automatic weapons? Answer is, it doesn't! If you were there, you might be able to get off a shot or two and maybe even hit someone, but your whole family would die."

          CWS, I'm thinking the magnificent 7 movie where the villagers finally grew a set! There is no telling if citizens rising up against the gangs would lead to a massacre of the citizens or perhaps a victory here and there. I know that the way things are now in mexico is not acceptable. Maybe the citizens need heavy automatic weapons so they can stand a chance of defending their schools and homes? I am grabbing at straws out of frustration with all the violence and no intervention by law enforcement. Caught part fo a story regarding our border agents being instructed to turn and run rather than engage criminals? Possibly the administration wanting to keep any mention of the border and agents out of the news?

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

            My sweet lil wife has her own gun, and out shoots me with the 1911.
            Mine too and she shoots her .38 light weight double action while I'm shooting single and still groups them better than me. And all the other guys that come over here to shoot. It's kind of embarrassing, but if we ever get into a gun battle, I'll be glad to have her on my side.
            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

              Originally posted by speedbump View Post
              Mine too and she shoots her .38 light weight double action while I'm shooting single and still groups them better than me. And all the other guys that come over here to shoot. It's kind of embarrassing, but if we ever get into a gun battle, I'll be glad to have her on my side.
              Sounds like our relationship. " We married our best friend "
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey





                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                  Lately my gun obsession has turned to Russian and Chinese weapons. For years I scoffed at the SKS. considering it an inferior piece of mass produced crap but....I bought one a few months back and am now a convert. If you have never had a chance to fire one of these beasts, do yourself a favor and find one. They are possibly the most fun semi-auto I have ever fired. Like I said, it is a beast of a gun but it's also damn accurate and way more powerful than the M16 .223 and you can pick one up for about a third the price. Last week I bought 2 Mosin Nagant's in .762 x 54 which is close to a .308 in performance. Both are long barreled with bayonet's and full wood stocks. Again, beasts. They are solid, a bit heavy but the bolt is smooth as silk and the triggers break clean at 3 lbs. Accurate to 400 yards with iron sights (if you have good eyes) For the money, these rifles are the most fun I have had in a long time with guns anyway. And Tule ammo is pretty cheap too
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                    Have one.paid $125.,00 12 years ago
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                      Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Lately my gun obsession has turned to Russian and Chinese weapons. For years I scoffed at the SKS. considering it an inferior piece of mass produced crap but....I bought one a few months back and am now a convert. If you have never had a chance to fire one of these beasts, do yourself a favor and find one. They are possibly the most fun semi-auto I have ever fired. Like I said, it is a beast of a gun but it's also damn accurate and way more powerful than the M16 .223 and you can pick one up for about a third the price. Last week I bought 2 Mosin Nagant's in .762 x 54 which is close to a .308 in performance. Both are long barreled with bayonet's and full wood stocks. Again, beasts. They are solid, a bit heavy but the bolt is smooth as silk and the triggers break clean at 3 lbs. Accurate to 400 yards with iron sights (if you have good eyes) For the money, these rifles are the most fun I have had in a long time with guns anyway. And Tule ammo is pretty cheap too
                      I scoffed at the SKS as well.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                        Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                        Mine too and she shoots her .38 light weight double action while I'm shooting single and still groups them better than me. And all the other guys that come over here to shoot. It's kind of embarrassing, but if we ever get into a gun battle, I'll be glad to have her on my side.
                        Speed, let's just hope you never have a duel with your wife.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

                        Fruit flies like a banana.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                          Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          I scoffed at the SKS as well.
                          Yep, but I have to say that when it comes to reliability they are hard to beat. Like an AK, you can drag them through the mud, bury them in sand, throw it in the bottom of a lake and let it sit for a month and it will come up shooting. No, they are not as elegant as an M16 but it's a gun you can count on to get the round down fast. American Gun, the fat guy with the SKS won the Zombie challenge LOL Mine has the ATI Intrafuse stock, 25 round Tapco Mags, and it's scoped with a 3/4 to 4 Bushnell but I also have a Red Dot for it too. When I bought the Mosin's I planned on converting one of them to a carbine length sporter but I think it may cost more than the conversion is worth. I told my wife I thought I might like to collect as many WWII bolt action rifles from as many countries as I can get. She was less than thrilled with the plan.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                            My biggest biatch about the AK's, etal., is that they are made, sold and used by our enemies.

                            Just saying.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                              Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              Yep, but I have to say that when it comes to reliability they are hard to beat. Like an AK, you can drag them through the mud, bury them in sand, throw it in the bottom of a lake and let it sit for a month and it will come up shooting. No, they are not as elegant as an M16 but it's a gun you can count on to get the round down fast. American Gun, the fat guy with the SKS won the Zombie challenge LOL Mine has the ATI Intrafuse stock, 25 round Tapco Mags, and it's scoped with a 3/4 to 4 Bushnell but I also have a Red Dot for it too. When I bought the Mosin's I planned on converting one of them to a carbine length sporter but I think it may cost more than the conversion is worth. I told my wife I thought I might like to collect as many WWII bolt action rifles from as many countries as I can get. She was less than thrilled with the plan.
                              My SIG 556 I could throw into a mud puddle, pick it up and shoot it straight, I might have to try the SKS.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                                the M1 Garand, will keep working in nearly any thing, and if all else fails Piss on it, and most likely it will go again,
                                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X