Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

Originally posted by BHD View Post
    the M1 Garand, will keep working in nearly any thing, and if all else fails Piss on it, and most likely it will go again,
    Excellent weapon
    sigpic

Comment

A shame they are trying to ban that gun in this country.

Comment

I believe that the only thing "banned" at this point is the Korean government's plans on selling a few hundred-thousand surplus Garand's and Carbines to the U.S. market. That much hardware raised an eyebrow with the current administration. My understanding is that it is still in negotiation for release... but that no progress has been made at this time. (The issue here is simply "control" over who or what elements might get their hands on these weapons.) But, I'm not really up on the latest information.

I do believe that you can still order a Garand through the CMP (Government sanctioned Civilian Marksmanship Program) Rifle Sales - M1 Garand

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          I believe that the only thing "banned" at this point is the Korean government's plans on selling a few hundred-thousand surplus Garand's and Carbines to the U.S. market. That much hardware raised an eyebrow with the current administration. My understanding is that it is still in negotiation for release... but that no progress has been made at this time. (The issue here is simply "control" over who or what elements might get their hands on these weapons.) But, I'm not really up on the latest information.

I do believe that you can still order a Garand through the CMP (Government sanctioned Civilian Marksmanship Program) Rifle Sales - M1 Garand

CWS
          The M1 Garands have gotten tougher and tougher to get since my boys were in ROTC over 25 years ago. That is when the talk first started about banning the M1s. Back then the programs were trying to find more rifles for their Color Guards. They are still available but the costs have skyrocketed. If I was looking fo a new M! I would be looking at CMP. The have long been the best supply source.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I imagine it is like many "military surplus" weapons, in that the market quickly absorbs all of the so-called "surplus" that is available. Back in the 60's you could pick up a 303 Enfield in a number of configurations for only a few $. Same with many "mousers". The 6.5 mm Italian Manlicher (sp?) could be had for as little as $17. M1 Carbines were still widely available and my Uncle had one that was NIB for less than $100. A couple of my closest friends had "Jungle" Enfields.

There were a couple of local (in Binghamton, NY area) shops where you could purchase almost any kind of military surplus gear, including a lot of WW1-era rifles. As I recall there were a number of "mail-order" places too. "Nebraska Surplus Sales" comes to mind, but I could be remembering that wrong. The place I'm thinking of put out quarterly catalog.

Today, I think "collectors" and a scarcity of these kinds of weapons have driven the prices way above what many are willing or able to pay.

CWS

Comment

Speed, let's just hope you never have a duel with your wife.
              Yeah, lets hope not. I wouldn't have a chance. Now and then she'll show up when we're plinking with the .22 pump and show us up.
              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I grew up using guns, and my dad was a Police officer for 30 years,

My belief is we should have a better licensing system and stricter rules for those who are not licensed

My Opinion
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Working...
                X