Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
The Right To Own Guns Survey Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Right To Own Guns Survey

    I got this link in an email. SImple yes or no vote regarding our right to own guns. Maybe you can pass it along to other folks.
    USATODAY.com - Quick Question

  • #2
    Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

    Over 11 million votes so far and 97% say yes including me.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

      Ditto on the YES vote.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

        I also voted yes but IIRC correctly it was quite a few years ago. I went to the USAToday website today to look for this poll and couldn't find it. However, something just doesn't seem right about the numbers as I seriously doubt if you could get 97% of Americans to agree on anything let alone something as controversial as this.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

          Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          I also voted yes but IIRC correctly it was quite a few years ago. I went to the USAToday website today to look for this poll and couldn't find it. However, something just doesn't seem right about the numbers as I seriously doubt if you could get 97% of Americans to agree on anything let alone something as controversial as this.
          Dave I got this in an email from my cousin if FL, so I can't guarantee if it is current sorry. I hope it was not a waste of time. Frank

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

            Maybe it's a USAToday survey to NRA members. "Surveys" often just crack me up... it always depends on who you've targetted... for example one of the News' pundit programs always does a survey and always has, within a percentage or two, the same results, regardless of the question (average response being in favor of the subject by 97%. But you have to ask yourself.... who the he!! else is watching this program? Everyone who is a fan will vote with the question.

            But to the subject, I also voted "YES". I don't see how you can answer that any other way. Many anti-gun folks will quote only the first four words of the 2nd Amendment, "A well regulated Militia"... but the in the middle it states, "the right of the people".

            However there is nothing in the amendment that says there cannot me "control" or "regulation" or even what may or may not be defined as "Arms".

            As you may guess, I am for "regulation". While I whole-heartedly support the absolute right of every citizen to own a "gun" or even a number of firearms of most any type, I do feel that people who have proven to be a danger to society, must absolutely be restricted. To that end, I find no fault with background checks and a national criminal database by which to restrict firearms from criminals and non-citizens.

            CWS

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

              Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Dave I got this in an email from my cousin if FL, so I can't guarantee if it is current sorry. I hope it was not a waste of time. Frank
              Frank, not a waste of time at all. If nothing else, it show that a very large amount of people feel very strongly about this subject. The lack of clarification of just who those particular people happen to be and how the poll was circulated makes the results seem a little questionable from my perspective. Thanks for posting it.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                That survey was around a couple of years ago, but some people are slow in reading their email, so I guess it started up again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                  Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Maybe it's a USAToday survey to NRA members. "Surveys" often just crack me up... it always depends on who you've targetted... for example one of the News' pundit programs always does a survey and always has, within a percentage or two, the same results, regardless of the question (average response being in favor of the subject by 97%. But you have to ask yourself.... who the he!! else is watching this program? Everyone who is a fan will vote with the question.

                  But to the subject, I also voted "YES". I don't see how you can answer that any other way. Many anti-gun folks will quote only the first four words of the 2nd Amendment, "A well regulated Militia"... but the in the middle it states, "the right of the people".

                  However there is nothing in the amendment that says there cannot me "control" or "regulation" or even what may or may not be defined as "Arms".

                  As you may guess, I am for "regulation". While I whole-heartedly support the absolute right of every citizen to own a "gun" or even a number of firearms of most any type, I do feel that people who have proven to be a danger to society, must absolutely be restricted. To that end, I find no fault with background checks and a national criminal database by which to restrict firearms from criminals and non-citizens.

                  CWS
                  I agree with background checks and a waiting period, maybe even some kind of interview with law enforcement or a social worker to determine if the applicant is disturbed? Criminals and disturbed people seems to have no problem securing firearms, so why not require proper training and instructions in safeguarding guns and allow for broader ownership?

                  There will always be deaths associated to gun ownership resulting from accidents, heat of the moment disputes and people who are empowered by their gun and abuse their ownership. I wonder if overall crime would go down once more law abiding Americans were armed, and not just the criminals?

                  I'm going to sound paranoid, but I don't feel at ease with the government installing cameras all over the place, having a hand in so much we do and disarming or preventing gun ownership by non criminals. What is their end game?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                    Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    To that end, I find no fault with background checks and a national criminal database by which to restrict firearms from criminals and non-citizens.CWS
                    Do you honestly believe that criminals and non-citizens are bothering to legally acquire firearms from Bass Pro Shops or Wal-mart?
                    As for the background checks you only have to: ATF gunwalking scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, to see how well that went.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                      Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                      That survey was around a couple of years ago
                      The survey is from November of 2007. No harm in partaking, but I rather doubt anyone is monitoring it anymore.
                      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                        Its still 97 per cent
                        That shows we are all still on the same page

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                          Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                          Do you honestly believe that criminals and non-citizens are bothering to legally acquire firearms from Bass Pro Shops or Wal-mart?
                          As for the background checks you only have to: ATF gunwalking scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, to see how well that went.
                          I agree that criminals, illegals and some others will find guns outside of the law. I still think there are some disturbed people who need to be prevented from legally obtaining a firearm if someone in law enforcement, or with some counceling skills could talk to them a few minutes.
                          There are probably many more folks killed by unskilled drivers or those who are still driving beyond their years, than by guns. There is something about legal gun ownership that sets folks off? I can understand those in law enforcement who have seen the tragedy of a child, or adult hurt or killed by a firearm, but different rules could weed out more metally ill folks and better safety education could lead to more responsible ownership and safety. I say allow law abiding citizens broader access to gun ownership, and focus on areas where more lives can be saved by motor vehicle retesting.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                            Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                            Do you honestly believe that criminals and non-citizens are bothering to legally acquire firearms from Bass Pro Shops or Wal-mart?
                            As for the background checks you only have to: ATF gunwalking scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, to see how well that went.

                            Arizona,


                            No, I don't believe anyone who severly wants a gun (or a knife, axe, fertilizer for explosives, or anything else is bothered by regulation. Certainly putting up speed limit signs, providing rules for driving licenses, and vehicle inspections doesn't appear to dampen those who are intent on traffic violations either. But that doesn't mean that because of the frailties of these people, that highway patrols should be abolished either!


                            Look, I have a couple of firearms. I don't hunt, but I like target shooting and the fact is simply that I like "guns". I got my first rifle when I was twelve. MY Dad didn't like them, because of his war experience... but he felt it necessary for his kid to know about them and the responsibility that went with it. He believed in the American Tradition, and I do too.


                            But in my almost 68 years I've seen a lot of stupidity and in some cases it was sheer madness that the law allowed a person to have a firearm. And YES, you can say that the victims could have been bludgeoned to death, knifed, or hacked and/or simply strangled or whatever. But let's face it, guns make killing a lot more efficient... and easy acquisition of a firearm simply makes it a lot easier to kill if the desire is there! If that wasn't the case, we'd be hunting with kitchen knives, axes, and clubs.


                            In a very recent case, one angry and crazed guy walked into the local Civic Center and murdered 14 people. The guy was a foreigner, struggling with language problems and frustrated over everything in his life. There were reports of his anger, his threats, and even his parents had written the local police officials asking the he not be allowed to get his pistol permit. Everything failed and the results were a lot of good people were murdered.


                            This case is only one example (undoubtedly the worst), but not the only case of people that I have known of in just our area who have been shot-to-death.

                            That's not to say I want any more regulaton, but I sure would like to see the regulations that are there to be properly inforced. But, the "gun issue" is so hot and causes so much anger by enthusiasts that it can't even be discussed. So while I may love my firearms, and don't want anything to prevent me from using them or buying another in the future, I do look at their misuse and posession by those with threatening behaviour as a blight on the public safety. It just seems like a senseless issue that any reponsible gun owner would want to ensure its containment. You and I and any other owner should be addressing illegal use as a matter of honor, and not defending the totally unbridled proliferation that brings doubt to the interest, right, and responsibility that we share.


                            The 2nd Amendment should not have to be defended, but it certainly should be protected by all of those law abiding citizens who follow the rules. What I have trouble with is why the NRA doesn't address the question of "How do these criminals get these weapons so easiliy? It is an affront to all of us who respect the law, the right to own, pocess , and safely use and everytime one is used in a criminal manner, we all should be questioning how that murderer was able to obtain that weapon and blacken the honor of a great American tradition.

                            CWS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Right To Own Guns Survey

                              If they take our guns then only the crooks will have them. They will buy them from some underground sorce.
                              Tools and More

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X